Gaudin and RODDY JONES!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I liked Wes. Brandon is a bit too enthusiastic for my taste, though how anybody who came up listening to Al can say that is a puzzle. Roddy and Sean, oth, are a revelation and really good.

I admit these preferences make no sense at all. Sorry, but they're the best I can do.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I said that many times while Wes was still here and was very unpopular for it. I can tell if a guy's heart is in it and I never thought Wes' was. Not to say he wasn't a good announcer but for my team, I want a homer.
I strongly disagree on Wes. I think he loved and still loves Tech and his heart was in it and he was a homer. It really becomes clear to me when I have heard him call football or bball games of Tech after he left. In these games he is pretty terrible. He is so incredibly dispassionate that I have to think he keeps intentionally over-compensating with having been at Tech for so long. They also avoid ever mentioning his past with Tech when he does our games. I really think that means he is paranoid about not coming across as objective. It makes his telecasts of Tech games just awful though since every announcer gets excited and passionate about a great play they call! That doesn't determine their objectivity at all but their overall treatment of the two teams does that.

His very flat calls of Tech now make me see just how much he was a homer and must still love the program if he thinks he has to hide it to such an extent.

Brandon is growing into the football broadcasts as he gets accustomed to "big boy" football now. I was very amused at the extent to which he kept pointing out that he was standing in the radio booth during the Tech-UGA game because he couldn't contain his excitement over what he was watching. I was standing as well most of the game for similar reasons but have done so for years of watching Tech.

Jones is a complete natural though. He has been a revelation. His knowledge of the offense is a big component of how well he has done from the start. However, even beyond that insider knowledge he has a really sharp mind and quick wit for handling live color analysis. I really hope Tech can keep him for years to come because he frankly may have a very lucrative future in sports broadcasting if he chooses to pursue it.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, for my taste, Wes was and is the best in the business. Perfect for GT. I actually think he had more homerism than Brandon does.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
@Buzzwax thanks for posting those clips. Such a huge difference between our broadcast team and theirs. Not even playing in the same ballpark. It took those UGA guys a full minute to say that it was DJ White who got the interception. They were as professional as two good ole boys chatting about football in the cab of their pickup. How many time did they say "us" or "we"? We are lucky to have such a great broadcast team, past and present.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
@Buzzwax thanks for posting those clips. Such a huge difference between our broadcast team and theirs. Not even playing in the same ballpark. It took those UGA guys a full minute to say that it was DJ White who got the interception. They were as professional as two good ole boys chatting about football in the cab of their pickup. How many time did they say "us" or "we"? We are lucky to have such a great broadcast team, past and present.

My favorite part of the UGA broadcast was this genius line: "touchdown, touchdown in the endzone!" Wha? Where else would a TD be? Hilarious. They should put that guy back on the drive-thru.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Listen to Wes' calls on Manget's field goal in overtime and on the sack of Parker to end the 2009 ACCCG. If you don't think he was emotionally invested in Tech after listening to those clips, I don't know what to tell you.

Wes is a pro, and we were lucky to have him. I've heard plenty of bad announcers, both of the homer variety and of the play it down the middle type. Wes is among the best in the business.
The Brandon and Roddy teams is quickly, quickly becoming a must-listen proposition. Roddy's ability to explain the offense and even try to delve into PJ's thinking is an enormous asset.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Did anyone record the Ugag and FSU radio broadcast audio? Would love to watch these games (and others this season) with Brandon and Roddy's voiceovers...

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
A very huge pet peeve of mine. I cannot stand announcers who use "we" and "us". It drives me insane. Thats why I believe Munson was so god awful. Like nails down a chalkboard to flip and try to get the score update. I dont mind excitement when ur teams score and all that... just keep the WE and US to a mininum. Its not hard to say Jackets or something along those lines when calling a game. Wes was very good for us and is one of the best out there. He seems to have alot of one liners that he loves to pop out during a broadcast though... would be my only complaint of him. But im surprised that we have such a good replacement in such a short period of time. Also adding Roddys knowledge of the offense... man it makes things sound so life like over the radio. Really impressed with every aspect of our AA this year. Things are moving in the right direction if you ask me.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really don't want to compare. I was heartbroken when Wes decided to leave. However, I will say that the current team has totally won me over. Brandon is awesome behind the Mic but he is also great with the public and CPJ. I LOVE listening to his voice overs on the vids during the Jacket Report or Hype Vids that we see. Roddy is, is, is like a close family member to me. I loved rooting for him on the field, but he has found his place in the world in the booth.