Gardner-Webb, Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Gardner-Webb? (Assume 3 games played)

Votes: 13 65.0%

Votes: 6 30.0%

Votes: 1 5.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gardner-Webb is having a good season with their low (140) RPI being mostly from playing Quadrant 4 teams and having played no Quadrant 1 teams. Against Quadrant 2 teams, they are 2-2. Like most teams, they are better at home (19-6) than on the road. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2023/schedule/Gardner-Webb

Weather should allow today's game (6PM) but tomorrow's at 4PM may be moved up. Sunday's game at Noon should be ok after the rain stops.

The games are worth more than I thought on the plus side; +26 RPI points for a win and -46 RPI points for a loss. Goes without saying we need the sweep. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2023/team-impact?team=Georgia-Tech

Schmolke, Busse & Finley are our announced starters. I think we sweep this weekend.
1682679558428.png

1682679130263.png

1682679414110.png

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
The games are worth more than I thought on the plus side; +26 RPI points for a win and -46 RPI points for a loss.
I'm mentioning this because it wasn't quite clear to me - RPI points are not the same as RPI positions. It looks like the 26 RPI points equates to about 2 spots up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm mentioning this because it wasn't quite clear to me - RPI points are not the same as RPI positions. It looks like the 26 RPI points equates to about 2 spots up.

Yup, +26 points would put us up two between Old Dominion and Arizona (assuming only changes from our game).

- 46 points would move us down between Maryland and Charlotte or down 6 spots.

1682695931772.png

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I think we win two. We haven't swept a series since Tennessee Tech in late February, and according to Warrennolan.com their RPI is currently 267. Our pitching has also been very inconsistent, so expecting to get any length out of any of our starters is hit and miss. I hope I'm wrong and we sweep, but I have not seen any consistent play, either offensively, defensively, or pitching wise, to predict one.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another win. If we are going to get hot, the end of the season is the time

Won the game we could yesterday. Win the game we can today.

I think we win two. We haven't swept a series since Tennessee Tech in late February, and according to Warrennolan.com their RPI is currently 267. Our pitching has also been very inconsistent, so expecting to get any length out of any of our starters is hit and miss. I hope I'm wrong and we sweep, but I have not seen any consistent play, either offensively, defensively, or pitching wise, to predict one.

We are consistently inconsistent and there is no reason to expect that to change; Schmolke got roughed up last night and can expect worse from the remaining ACC teams; Finley's last outing was not that good (2.0 IP, 3 ER, 54 pitches but hopefully that was his bicep not being fully healed) and Busse's ERA is up to 7.88.

But we can win today.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Won the game we could yesterday. Win the game we can today.

We are consistently inconsistent and there is no reason to expect that to change; Schmolke got roughed up last night and can expect worse from the remaining ACC teams; Finley's last outing was not that good (2.0 IP, 3 ER, 54 pitches but hopefully that was his bicep not being fully healed) and Busse's ERA is up to 7.88.

But we can win today.
Point of correction, Busse's ERA is still "down" at 3.99, 4.76 in ACC play + UGa weekend. As a starter it is at 11.37, so hopefully that can improve today.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Point of correction, Busse's ERA is still "down" at 3.99, 4.76 in ACC play + UGa weekend. As a starter it is at 11.37, so hopefully that can improve today.

Thanks. I read the wrong pitcher stats above. So we are going to win by 3.9 today based on starting pitcher ERAs?

I felt sorry for the GW pitcher Switalski yesterday. Started at 7-2 and 4.86 ERA before he pitched. We abused him with 44 pitches in the first. It was clear he was staying in till his arm fell off. After 95 pitches in 4.0 he had given up 9 ER. Talk about no hook, just bring the stretcher.

This is what wins games too. Missing Wiley this weekend.:

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We were crushing the ball yesterday, absolutely demolishing their pitchers. Lots of very good defensive plays by GW, more than I've seen in a good while, however 2 misses- the pop to first & 3rd base didn't get down on a makable grounder gave us some momentum.

Hope I don't regret this but we're going to pound them all weekend. Our pitching will be good enough. Damn Borrell, figure out how to turn off the ahead in the count gopher balls, WPs and HBPs. Sick of seeing them.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
We were crushing the ball yesterday, absolutely demolishing their pitchers. Lots of very good defensive plays by GW, more than I've seen in a good while, however 2 misses- the pop to first & 3rd base didn't get down on a makable grounder gave us some momentum.

Hope I don't regret this but we're going to pound them all weekend. Our pitching will be good enough. Damn Borrell, figure out how to turn off the ahead in the count gopher balls, WPs and HBPs. Sick of seeing them.
Yeah, I remember the missed pop up. That was a big play in the game. Gave us some early runs, momentum, and more pitches for their starting pitcher. I don't recall the 3B one. Perhaps too drunk by that point?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I remember the missed pop up. That was a big play in the game. Gave us some early runs, momentum, and more pitches for their starting pitcher. I don't recall the 3B one. Perhaps too drunk by that point?
Wasn't a big play but reminded me of high school.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't a big play but reminded me of high school.
It was bottom 1 in a 1-1 game. Bases loaded, 2 outs. Cost Gardner Webb 2 runs when they should have been out of an inning. That qualifies as a big play to me. In Wiley's words "what a gift". Down 3-1 instead of tied 1-1. Perhaps not a "big play" when considered in hindsight after a 15-5 win, but at the time it was a big play. And who knows how things would have transpired if that pop up had been caught.

And after I went back to review it, it didn't really add many pitches to the starting pitchers count as Ruby grounded out on an 0-2 pitch immediately afterword.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It was bottom 1 in a 1-1 game. Bases loaded, 2 outs. Cost Gardner Webb 2 runs when they should have been out of an inning. That qualifies as a big play to me. In Wiley's words "what a gift". Down 3-1 instead of tied 1-1. Perhaps not a "big play" when considered in hindsight after a 15-5 win, but at the time it was a big play. And who knows how things would have transpired if that pop up had been caught.

And after I went back to review it, it didn't really add many pitches to the starting pitchers count as Ruby grounded out on an 0-2 pitch immediately afterword.
Sorry was referring to the 3B play. We were up by 5 or more when that happened.