GAMEDAY!!!!!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He hasn't been as accurate as others in practice. He was like Rickey Vaughn in Major League. Lot's of power, but you weren't really sure where it would go. He's really starting to come into form this year.

Well that practice accuracy wasn't translatign to it in games. I'd have atleast given him a shot. Also did we get him checked to see if he just needed glasses?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well that practice accuracy wasn't translatign to it in games. I'd have atleast given him a shot. Also did we get him checked to see if he just needed glasses?

You'd give a shot to a guy who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in practice just because the kicker that could make the FGs in practice struggled in actual games? Braver man than me.

Gavin was given KO duties because he can put it into the end zone and has worked to become a more reliable FG kicker. From what I've heard the first couple of years weren't so pretty at practice on his FG attempts.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You'd give a shot to a guy who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in practice just because the kicker that could make the FGs in practice struggled in actual games? Braver man than me.

Gavin was given KO duties because he can put it into the end zone and has worked to become a more reliable FG kicker. From what I've heard the first couple of years weren't so pretty at practice on his FG attempts.

Worst thing that happens is he misses and you are already losing like crazy anyway.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Best thing that could happen is the guy who nails it in practice quits shanking it in the game. That's how most coaches operate.

Well i have a hard time imagine stewart suddenly got better because collins was fired. Lets not forget somehow collins took a kicker that was 100 percent accurate and ruined him somehow too.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well i have a hard time imagine stewart suddenly got better because collins was fired. Lets not forget somehow collins took a kicker that was 100 percent accurate and ruined him somehow too.

Stewart got better as a place kicker over the off season. The Pitt game was the first game this season he was back on the depth chart after an injury. Not everything is some vast Collins conspiracy to make GT a horrible football team

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Stewart got better as a place kicker over the off season. The Pitt game was the first game this season he was back on the depth chart after an injury. Not everything is some vast Collins conspiracy to make GT a horrible football team

Collins dind't have to conspire to do that he just had to be himself.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
But he's also been on the roster for like 3 years or something. Why did he only get 3 FG attempts before this game?

From what I observed watching: Gavan's kicks often have a lot of "curve" which affects accuracy. IMO the practices indicated Gavan had the distance for longer attempts but Kelley's straighter kicks seemed to be more consistent for accuracy. For some reason Kelley has gotten out of sync, hopefully temporarily. We need both kickers for depth.