Gameday!!!!!

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
We lost 52-21. No need to blame the zebras. We got our *** whooped. Plain and simple.
I don't think anyone is blaming the loss on the refs (or at least they shouldn't be), but the officiating was atrocious and completely one sided the second year in a row against Pitt. Their OL had blatant holds throughout both games and barely any were called, but we get called on defensive holding multiple times that were not nearly as egregious.

EDIT: I'm not saying our defensive holding calls were incorrect however I feel like those are probably only called about 50% of the time in games. The issue I have is the lack of consistency of calling holds that was clearly one sided.

Last edited:

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Welp, all the "fans" who've been quiet the past few weeks will be back to run their mouths.
welp we were waiting to see if collins had actually got thing thing turned around. We were hoping. Anyway there are fans and there are alumni. I'm an alumnus, fans can do what ever they want, alumni are all in.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe at other schools, but at GT being an alumi =/= being a fan. Some of the most loyal Tech fans I know have not gone to school at the NATS. Some of the people I graduated with probably did not know who or when GT played today.
How do non alumni become fans? They have lots of choices

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How do non alumni become fans? They have lots of choices

Not sure but here are some random thoughts.... Contrarian perhaps? Pulling for the underdog? Bullied in school? Atoning for sins and seeking absolution? Depressed or mentally unbalanced? Perhaps it helps them with their budget as finding decent GT gear and apparel is next to impossible? They are confused and think the sport is like golf where the lower score wins? Increased self esteem by being one of only 250 existing GT fans left alive on this planet while there are one and a half a million Bulldwag fans in the state? They have had their colors analyzed and decided that they are a "spring" rather than a "winter" so they look their best in white/gold vs red/black? They had a wealthy relative who is a GT alum who keeps them in the will as long as they support Tech and they will do so until the day the old codger is finally laid to rest and they can quit pretending? It's the closest football stadium to the Varsity? Again, I'm just spitballing and don't suggest that this list is definitive.

JacketintheNati

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure but here are some random thoughts.... Contrarian perhaps? Pulling for the underdog? Bullied in school? Atoning for sins and seeking absolution? Depressed or mentally unbalanced? Perhaps it helps them with their budget as finding decent GT gear and apparel is next to impossible? They are confused and think the sport is like golf where the lower score wins? Increased self esteem by being one of only 250 existing GT fans left alive on this planet while there are one and a half a million Bulldwag fans in the state? They have had their colors analyzed and decided that they are a "spring" rather than a "winter" so they look their best in white/gold vs red/black? They had a wealthy relative who is a GT alum who keeps them in the will as long as they support Tech and they will do so until the day the old codger is finally laid to rest and they can quit pretending? It's the closest football stadium to the Varsity? Again, I'm just spitballing and don't suggest that this list is definitive.
I think most were likely raised a GT fan by a parent or had family connection.

Many also stay GT fans if they go to a smaller school that does have a P5 program.

I attended games starting very young with my Dad and after 40+ years I consider myself pretty loyal even though GT Alum fans are a condescending group at times to us “sidewalk” fans and I know you are going to tell me how Alum earned their position as fans and mine is a choice which will eventually be followed by a topic of how can we get more fans from the community to Tech games.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I attended games starting very young with my Dad and after 40+ years I consider myself pretty loyal even though GT Alum fans are a condescending group at times to us “sidewalk” fans and I know you are going to tell me how Alum earned their position as fans and mine is a choice which will eventually be followed by a topic of how can we get more fans from the community to Tech games.

We are glad you are a fan. My post was TIC. I am not about to tell you anything other than all of us who are alums truly appreciate those of you who aren't but support the team. I know it is not easy. Hell, it's not even easy for us alums. I have two adult sons who grew up on GT FB back when we lived in Ga. and our family had season tickets. Both of them decided to do other things today rather than watch the game with me as has been our tradition for a very, very long time. Indeed these are difficult times and (imo) is the end result of a very long time of neglect. The truth of the matter is that FB or sports doesn't really matter to the people in position to change things. This issue is above the player's, coach's and even the AD's head. We have and will continue to dabble in sports but not ever truly be commited to them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My parents were bulldog fans but my childhood was in Atlanta when Tech was the only game in town -no Braves, Falcons or Hawks. Plus, my four brothers and I went to Emory, along with 2 nephews and two nieces. It used to be a tradition for Emory students to pull for a college football team in which the players were literate and actually went to class. Also had a cousin who taught at Tech.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

Many also stay GT fans if they go to a smaller school that does have a P5 program.

Funny story. I am a Mid-West transplant who moved to NE Georgia with my family, as a teenager. Everything at my high school was “how ‘bout them dawgs” every Monday, all throughout fall. I grew to hate the dawgs, quite quickly. When I discovered that (a) I was a science nerd, and (b) there was an Institute in Georgia tha was custom-built for science nerd who hated (u)GA, I was all in.

Turns out my Grandpa (who I never met; he died over a decade before I was born)—an uneducated coal miners—was a big GT fan, I guess back in the Heisman era. In the stories my Mom and Grandma told me (after i chose to go to Tech) he loved to come home rip-roaring drunk in the evening, after a hard day’s work, singing the “Ramblin Wreck” song.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Funny story. I am a Mid-West transplant who moved to NE Georgia with my family, as a teenager. Everything at my high school was “how ‘bout them dawgs” every Monday, all throughout fall. I grew to hate the dawgs, quite quickly. When I discovered that (a) I was a science nerd, and (b) there was an Institute in Georgia tha was custom-built for science nerd who hated (u)GA, I was all in.

Turns out my Grandpa (who I never met; he died over a decade before I was born)—an uneducated coal miners—was a big GT fan, I guess back in the Heisman era. In the stories my Mom and Grandma told me (after i chose to go to Tech) he loved to come home rip-roaring drunk in the evening, after a hard day’s work, singing the “Ramblin Wreck” song.
This is not too far off of my story.
I moved from the midwest to Atlanta in 1981 when I was entering 6th grade. When I moved to Atlanta I was a huge UGA fan (this was the time of Hershel after all), but I also liked GT because they tied AL the previous year. All it took was about 4 months in school to turn me into a GT fan really quick. First having to listen to all the UGA fans every day at school and then see the differences between the two schools. After that it was all GT all the time for me.
Eventually I would attend and graduate from GT.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a die-hard Tech fan that went to LSU and USF - I guess I should get that out there. My dad and his 4 siblings went to Tech and I grew up a Yellow Jacket in Bulldog country. Although I cheer hard for my schools, Tech holds a very special place in my heart. They really are my #1 team.

I am super passionate about each win and loss. I have cheered harder and have attended more games in my short lifetime than 85% of the alumni. I was just a bit too dumb (well, actually super duper dumb) to get into Tech, but found my way in other schools. I didn't want to go the Piedmont College/Middle Diddle GA college transfer route to get in out of high school. I wanted to go to different places and other big schools. And I'm doin' alright.

As much as Tech fans want "sidewalk fans," they sure do give them ****. But, I love you all. Ok, I need to lay off the beer and watch the end of the UF/Kentucky game.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I am a die-hard Tech fan that went to LSU and USF - I guess I should get that out there. My dad and his 4 siblings went to Tech and I grew up a Yellow Jacket in Bulldog country. Although I cheer hard for my schools, Tech holds a very special place in my heart. They really are my #1 team.

I am super passionate about each win and loss. I have cheered harder and have attended more games in my short lifetime than 85% of the alumni. I was just a bit too dumb (well, actually super duper dumb) to get into Tech, but found my way in other schools. I didn't want to go the Piedmont College/Middle Diddle GA college transfer route to get in out of high school. I wanted to go to different places and other big schools. And I'm doin' alright.

As much as Tech fans want "sidewalk fans," they sure do give them ****. But, I love you all. Ok, I need to lay off the beer and watch the end of the UF/Kentucky game.
GT sidewalk fans are the best fans. Among my tailgate crowd (of about 10) only three of us went to Tech. Among all the season ticket holders who sit around us at games, only a handful are GT graduates.

Thank you to everyone who supports Tech despite never having gone there,

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
GT sidewalk fans are the best fans. Among my tailgate crowd (of about 10) only three of us went to Tech. Among all the season ticket holders who sit around us at games, only a handful are GT graduates.

Thank you to everyone who supports Tech despite never having gone there,
I am surprised by the number of sidewalk fans on this forum. Bless you all.

It is not easy being a Tech fan.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow

Alumni welcome all fans!