Game plan for duh U

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
What would you guys do on both sides of the ball vs Miami?

On offense, I think this is a good one to bring out the no-huddle. I think Miami's defense is talented but no necessarily disciplined. Duke seemed to have some success running it right up the middle. I feel like Laskey's gonna have a good day on Saturday.

On defense, I think we obviously key in on stopping Duke Johnson. They liked to run him up the gut as well. I'd stack the box a bit and make them beat us through the air.

Thoughts?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I think we've got to bring pressure. Kaaya is good enough to hit open receivers given time. And we aren't going to get much pressure bringing our 4 DL against their big OL. Need to get creative with Nealy and CB blitzes - which hopefully we will have done given the week off the prepare. We'll give up some big plays, but we might force him into some turnovers as well. He hasn't played great in road games @Louisville and @Nebraska (45/71, 63%, 266 pypg, 4 TDs, 4 INTs) which isn't suprising for an 18 year old.

On offense just keep doing what we've been doing. The last two years we've averaged 410 typg, 311 rypg, 5.2 ypc, 33ppg. That's about as good as you could hope for against a defense with as much talent stockpiled (yet underperforming) as they do. The last two years, TW and VL combined for 36.5 rypg (2.3 ypc) while the ABs went for a lot more. This meshes with what I remember - a good amount of AB runs breaking loose on the edge. We've had miserable passing days against them - 9/27, 99 pypg, 0 TDs, 2 INTs. They seem to get good pressure on us when we drop back. If JT5 hits 50% and a few deep balls that would go a long way for us.

We've lost both year because they ran/threw all over us. I expect our offense to be fine - they only a have a few players who intimidate me on defense (Chickillo/Perryman). On offense I can picture them hitting open receivers all day long with us sending a four man rush. I'd load up the box, try to contain Duke, get some pressure, and rattle Kaaya early. Get the crowd in this game and we might see some of these freshman mistakes he's already been making this season.

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we've got to bring pressure. Kaaya is good enough to hit open receivers given time. And we aren't going to get much pressure bringing our 4 DL against their big OL. Need to get creative with Nealy and CB blitzes - which hopefully we will have done given the week off the prepare. We'll give up some big plays, but we might force him into some turnovers as well.

Pretty much this... watching the game against Duke that Miami OL is HUGE! I'm glad we got a rotation on the DL going against VT because we will need everyone to contribute this Saturday.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On defense, do what we did against VT, except go ahead and assume from the start that our front four will need help rushing the quarterback. If we can stop the run, we'll get some sacks, picks, holding calls, and so on enough to stop them. But I expect it to be harder to do that than it was for VT. They have quick, athletic skill guys that can make you miss and take it to the house. I think they will put up some bigger numbers than VT.

On offense, there isn't a whole lot to say. We have the full package now. Paul can chose any number of options. He'll feel them out some and then start wheelin' and dealin' based on what he is seeing. I think we'll put up some good numbers on offense too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The following simply reflects my impressions of our D over the first 4 games. I don't have data to support these impressions about our personnel use during these games.

During the first few weeks, we saw a lot of guys get a lot of minutes in the secondary. Then vs VPI, we saw a lot of guys get more meaningful minutes on the line.

So, I think what we saw vs VPI was CPJ exerting some influence on the D. Run and stop the run is CPJ's philosophy. We played a soft zone behind tough run defense. In post game interviews, CPJ didn't seem as bothered by the soft zone and giving up the 3rd and long as he had in past seasons (just my impression).

Then in the second half we went more multiple on both the LOS and in the secondary. I think that reflected Roof's philosophy more.

Hopefully, Roof now knows what he has in terms of personnel both in the secondary and on the los. I think we need to focus on two things: stop DJ and keep their QB off balance, either by pressure or changing up coverage or both.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Jump out to a 2+ possession lead quick, force them out of the Duke Johnson comfort zone... That's my hope.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think their D will be as good as VT's. Their offense is probably better, but Duke's D kept them under control until late. I don't think Duke D's is as talented as ours. I look for the same type defense we played against VT: keep everything in front of us and don't give them big plays. Will probably see that for the rest of the year. Just guessing, CPJ thinks he has (or soon will have) an offense that is better even much better than the rest of our opponents' defenses. If our defense can just give our opponents' offenses the chance to do something stupid with turnovers and penalties, then we will win more than our share. I expect a lot more 45-31 games, and I think we will have the 45 most times.

Duke Johnson did not look like the same Duke Johnson that played against us last year. I don't think he's near 100%. I hope he hits 100% around mid October.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Duke Johnson did not look like the same Duke Johnson that played against us last year. I don't think he's near 100%. I hope he hits 100% around mid October.
You noticed it too! In another thread I said he looked like Choice out there last Saturday. Still effective, but more because he knows how to read blocks and is still nifty in his moves, not because he's going to turn on the jets and leave everybody standing.

Of course, we could both be wrong; it could be that's just the way the holes shaped up. Still, he looked a step slower then he did last year to me.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
O - Do what we do, and don't have turnovers and dumb penalties.

D - MOST of all, we have to stop the run game. Tackling and staying in the running lanes will be CRITICAL. Then try to mix in pressure to confuse and disorient the frosh QB, and hopefully he will make some mistakes.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The problem with a hurry up offense, if you go three and out, it burns about a minute and your defense is back on the field. It would suit me if we had one drive per quarter for 12 minutes and won 28-14.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not dieing to see the hurry up. If we use it (outside of end of half scenarios) do so to throw Miami's D off and keep em off balance. If we use it other than that....it will likely be an effort to catch up on the scoreboard...Once we get a lead....let that clock run.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Offense: one play when on short side of field, run student body to short side. JT takes quick step same way , fakes a rocket toss to bb, opposite side tackle pins DE into pile. JT reverses field and sprints to wide side of field for big gain.
Repeat but pass to smelter deep. Play calling Must keep the large defenders from miami running sideline to sideline. Then hit them with counter or reverse.

Defense: bring up the DB for some tight coverage during blitz packages - this game we score on defense again. Must meet the Duke before he turns up field. If qb beats us so be it. If we don't get after duke we will loose. He is playing for nfl first round pick position.

Coach will call plays to match his swagger!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Offense
Just do what we do. Hit the edge on the option, and take some shots down the field.

Defense
Turn Simmons loose, let Davis and Nealy hit the duke

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, Miami is going to have a lot more to plan for on defense than they have in a while. They will cover the field pretty well, but it won't be enough. The added dimension of a true scrambler who can keep plays alive and throw accurately, will once again be a difference maker. Our game plan needs to be to get ahead. If you want to neutralize DJ, have a 2 TD lead going into half 2. I agree with most other posters, if we can stop their run and force the pass, we have it won, barring a ton of mistakes. Their run game will be harder to stop than VT, but their passing game will probably be similar. VT's D might be the best we will see all year. We might face similar athletes this week, but the plan against us will not be nearly as good. I see it as pretty even actually. It will be who brings their A game to the field IMHO.