Game one Uniforms vs Louisville

Which uni combo should we rock on Friday?

• GGW

Votes: 64 52.5%
  • WGW

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • GBW

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • GBB (don’t pick this)

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think in an on field setting the helmet matches the jersey color fine. Not enough of an issue to consider not wearing the gold jersey with the gold helmet because of it
I agree it's not enough of an issue to get too over-exercised about. This is the final day of pre-season, so I want to squeeze in the last of my 2023 uniform posts before kickoff...

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I really, really, really hate using those a-holes out east as an example but they match up their helmets pretty darn well with their home jerseys.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
This was peak bad - the bubble wrap on the sleeves makes it look like two different golds on the jersey, the helmet stripe is a 3rd, more mustard gold, then you have the chicken wire on the helmet that doesn't match the bubble wrap pattern on the jersey and pants.

Thankfully it was only for a year and we were back to good looking uniforms.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And FSU, Vandy, the Saints....they don't seem to have problems with matching gold.
B6581CB8-3038-4081-B31D-12BFC1D0B69E.jpeg

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 14652
View attachment 14653
View attachment 14654

Because that color is also a shiny gold that runs into the same problem as the helmet: it’s going to look drastically different given different lighting. Look at the first picture in the all white unis. The decals on the helmet and the gold in the jersey numbers are basically identical in material and shade. But because they sun light is hitting them different, they look very different. But in this shot they look the same again
View attachment 14656

If you want the entire jersey to look like the gold numbers on the white jersey, it would look something like this
View attachment 14657
Alright I need that suit though

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I refuse to believe the mismatching gold is the result of either adidas not being able to match our helmets or Riddell not being able to match our jerseys. Like there is actually zero chance.
Both of these billion dollar companies are fully capable of matching within 2 shades of eachother’s golds. Let alone trial and error it for a singular day it if it did come out wrong at some point in time. People would lose their jobs over such a corporate abomination.
Have to think it’s some sorry attempt to please two different crowds at once. The design/branding team, likely torn between powers, landed on this and said whatever.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I do really like the match between the metallic gold numbers on the white jerseys and the helmets now. I don’t remember any old white jerseys having such a nice metallic number.

I think the materials for the gold ones just don’t do well in indoor lighting but as long as they look close enough on the field… but now I’m curious about in the dome or at night.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
View attachment 14652
View attachment 14653
View attachment 14654

Because that color is also a shiny gold that runs into the same problem as the helmet: it’s going to look drastically different given different lighting. Look at the first picture in the all white unis. The decals on the helmet and the gold in the jersey numbers are basically identical in material and shade. But because they sun light is hitting them different, they look very different. But in this shot they look the same again
View attachment 14656

If you want the entire jersey to look like the gold numbers on the white jersey, it would look something like this
View attachment 14657
Yikes!
😬

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
People keep talking about the shades of gold not matching, but it’s not as easy as they think matching colors on different materials with different textures, especially when it’s supposed to be somewhat shiny like gold.
And because they are almost impossible to match, the decision may have been to NOT try to match them. Helmets are historic old gold. Jerseys are historic mustard. Both are Tech tradition but were not worn together in the past.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I see your point. But I have to note that this shifts the argument from "we can't match the helmet" to "we don't want to match the helmet."
I think the real argument is one a lot of people here have missed:

Old gold is a finicky color. And given different reflectiveness of fabric and materials, the exact same gold jersey top and gold helmet combo in a digital photo, versus it in-person, versus it under different lighting - will almost always look different.

This is the thing that no one seems to understand. There will never be a complete match of gold helmets and gold jerseys. Hard stop. Because even if the jerseys look matched in one phot, they'll look completely unmatched in a photo from 1/2 second later. It just depends on the photo you choose whether Russell jerseys look better-matched, or Adidas.

A photo is a slice of time. As long as our color remains old gold, we'll never have a complete match at every single slice of time.