Game one Uniforms vs Louisville

Which uni combo should we rock on Friday?

• GGW

Votes: 64 52.5%
  • WGW

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • GBW

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • GBB (don’t pick this)

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Clearly the worst mismatch of golds at least as presented on a computer. IIRC correctly the mismatch doesn't look as bad in person.
Yeah, it's bad on the field, too. I'm a little tired of hearing how it's so hard to match the golds between helmet and jersey. It may be a challenge to some extent, but I'm quite sure it could be matched a lot closer than that.
I have a shirt in my closet that comes much closer to matching our helmet.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Also, if what we’re wearing in the player photos and uni reveals is what we’re actually wearing in the games, it’s the same lot as last year. You can see the scuffs, tears, and patch jobs on the uniforms. I kinda like it. Ramblin’, gamblin’, rag tag Golden Tornado.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Clearly the worst mismatch of golds at least as presented on a computer. IIRC correctly the mismatch doesn't look as bad in person.
People keep talking about the shades of gold not matching, but it’s not as easy as they think matching colors on different materials with different textures, especially when it’s supposed to be somewhat shiny like gold.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
People keep talking about the shades of gold not matching, but it’s not as easy as they think matching colors on different materials with different textures, especially when it’s supposed to be somewhat shiny like gold.
Yep. Gold is notoriously one of the most difficult colors to match - especially old gold. So here we are.

(I've just learned to accept it. My years as a graphic designer taught me that colors online vs on fabric vs on metal vs on leather are never going to match up completely - and some of them just look more distinct on different surfaces (read: navy on fabric and navy on metal will always look closer than gold fabric/metal). Trying to more closely match the old gold helmet color on the jerseys will often lead to brown-looking jerseys, that look even less right when the player turns his head and the helmet's color appears to change in the light.

But all of this has been said before, and will be again whenever we wear gold jerseys. I can't wait to see them under the lights tomorrow.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But I feel like our old uniforms back in the day always matched?? So what gives now?
Yeah, nobody's going to tell me that jersey can't be made to match that helmet a lot more closely than that. I guess the technology's regressed or something. But whatever...

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, nobody's going to tell me that jersey can't be made to match that helmet a lot more closely than that. I guess the technology's regressed or something. But whatever...
Maybe it was a different color or was less shiny or the jerseys were made of a different fabric? Just some guesses. Do you have any photos for reference?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
1BA1B8FE-5206-409A-B2E2-D302A11AA79F.jpeg

07985E7C-0C65-4E44-B2D0-679E24AA5550.jpeg

2875EA67-1848-440D-8328-9EC202E19088.jpeg

E7FD2FB1-4857-4E47-AAD1-91109F6A1E6E.jpeg

4B855AE0-39E8-436D-9644-1F6AF63B3450.jpeg

The golds really don’t look that much different from each other on the field. In fact, I think they do a really good job of matching while retaining a more closely related shade to old gold instead of the tan/sand/khaki/ Vegas gold we had been wearing. I remember them looking fine on TV as well. Dim lighting is not going to do the set justice, because in the sun or under the lights the gold on the helmet will be much shinier and yellow-ish, matching it to the jersey.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 14646
View attachment 14647
View attachment 14648
View attachment 14649
View attachment 14650

The golds really don’t look that much different from each other on the field. In fact, I think they do a really good job of matching while retaining a more closely related shade to old gold instead of the tan/sand/khaki/ Vegas gold we had been wearing. I remember them looking fine on TV as well. Dim lighting is not going to do the set justice, because in the sun or under the lights the gold on the helmet will be much shinier and yellow-ish, matching it to the jersey.
Note how more closely the number on this white jersey matches the helmet than does the gold jersey:

1693498033020.png

Now why can't the whole jersey be that color?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Note how more closely the number on this white jersey matches the helmet than does the gold jersey:

View attachment 14651

Now why can't the whole jersey be that color?
DD04671D-BFB9-4723-B328-7764ADBD07B0.jpeg

C9103402-E634-4484-8A53-137CF4A44CB8.jpeg

D7F6CD55-E25A-4D21-97DF-5375B898B913.jpeg

Because that color is also a shiny gold that runs into the same problem as the helmet: it’s going to look drastically different given different lighting. Look at the first picture in the all white unis. The decals on the helmet and the gold in the jersey numbers are basically identical in material and shade. But because they sun light is hitting them different, they look very different. But in this shot they look the same again
6BC7345A-12E1-4F06-AACF-EB7139001AC6.jpeg

If you want the entire jersey to look like the gold numbers on the white jersey, it would look something like this
E356181F-5E00-4AA2-82F6-AD258E8D7589.jpeg

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 14652
View attachment 14653
View attachment 14654

Because that color is also a shiny gold that runs into the same problem as the helmet: it’s going to look drastically different given different lighting. Look at the first picture in the all white unis. The decals on the helmet and the gold in the jersey numbers are basically identical in material and shade. But because they sun light is hitting them different, they look very different. But in this shot they look the same again
View attachment 14656

If you want the entire jersey to look like the gold numbers on the white jersey, it would look something like this
View attachment 14657
How about this? Looks a lot closer than what we have:

1693498998401.png