Game Day - Clemson Edit v1.24

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I didn't even watch and I don't plan to. This has gotten really bad really quick. What happened to the "good shooting team" that we were supposed to have?
The shooters are in their own head. For example, I think Deebo is actually a good 3 point shooter. But this team’s talent/offense/depth isn’t conducive to getting in a rhythm as a shooter. When just about every attempt (including makes) is contested, it’s nearly impossible for even a good shooter to get going.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The shooters are in their own head. For example, I think Deebo is actually a good 3 point shooter. But this team’s talent/offense/depth isn’t conducive to getting in a rhythm as a shooter. When just about every attempt (including makes) is contested, it’s nearly impossible for even a good shooter to get going.
This is fair. Our shooting woes seem to be reflective of the quality of shots, not necessarily the quality of shooter.

We have a steady diet of contested shots and infrequent catch-n-shoots. If that's all you get as a shooter, good luck having an acceptable percentage.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The output of this team is much worse than the sum of the individual parts. There is talent on this team. It is just poorly developed and coached. We lack the quality assistants to get the most out of our players. Heck, we are barely getting any production out of some of them when compared to their talent levels, especially Kelly and Debo.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Expect there will be mass desertions this off-season via the portal. Guys with any real talent aren’t going to want to endure more years of bottom-dwelling teams. Only chance to try and minimize that is to make a coaching change.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm looking forward to the Louisville game next week. It's being hyped as the "Global Conflict" on social media.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Expect there will be mass desertions this off-season via the portal. Guys with any real talent aren’t going to want to endure more years of bottom-dwelling teams. Only chance to try and minimize that is to make a coaching change.
Mass exodus will allow the new coach to easily fill out a roster. This team doesn't have Patriot team talent

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t see how anyone can submit themselves to watching this team player any more, I would literally rather watch paint dry at this point

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The output of this team is much worse than the sum of the individual parts. There is talent on this team. It is just poorly developed and coached. We lack the quality assistants to get the most out of our players. Heck, we are barely getting any production out of some of them when compared to their talent levels, especially Kelly and Debo.
I agree with you Shirley and let me take it a bit further. Our coach has said that he believes this is his best shooting team ever. The reputations of several of these players is that of a good to very good shooter - Coleman, Kelley, Terry and even Maxwell and Sturdivant. We obviously haven't seen that this year and as discussed here have seen mostly (not all) contested or really deep perimeter shots that one would expect are lower percentage make shots.

So with that background - and it may simply be a difference in my view of roles for assistant coaches - I don't see this as an assistant coaching issue, I see this as a core "system doesn't work for the talent we have" issue. Our whole offensive system from the decision to focus the offense and putting the ball in the hands of 2 post guys who are not capable of distributing the ball to running an offense that is "spaced" only in the lane to the top of the key to parking shooters in the corner with no movement or real expectation that the defense would have to help off of them - all that is on the head coach. That is not simply an issue that we didn't teach a skill or work on shooting - it is a fundamental decision to stay with a system that worked with a totally different cast of characters who had a very different skill set that isn't present in the roster we have now. It should have taken 2 preseason practices - hell just watch the summer pick up games - and know that this offensive system was a terrible idea for this roster.

Give Devion space to blow by his man based on his athleticism - don't give him the ball top of the key and send him into a crowded lane. Help Coleman by running him off a few picks to get open for a catch and shoot. Use Howard as the big body he is and set picks all over the damn court. Put Kelly in space and force defenses to help on him so Coleman's defender goes to help and he gets a catch and shoot shot. I watched us play Clemson trying to drive with 3-4 defenders in the paint. Sturdivant and Smith got some nice turnaround fall away jumpers off that and Franklin got 5 dunks off it but generally Clemson had a damn easy time guarding us. At 65 I could still play defense on our 5 because all I have to do is walk from side to side in the lane. If I had to go hedge a screen on Devion at the 3 point line god help me but we don't do that.

Anyway long rant on saying this ain't an assistant coach issue this is a core issue decided by the head guy. Unless you think the assistants should have talked/screamed/put a gun to Pastner's head to get him out of it.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
It doesn't appear to me that many of the 3 point shots are hotly contested. In fact, it seems that many are wide open. A good shooter is not a good shooter because of his reputation. He is a good shooter because he makes shots. It stands to reason that if you can't make shots, you are not a good shooter.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't appear to me that many of the 3 point shots are hotly contested. In fact, it seems that many are wide open. A good shooter is not a good shooter because of his reputation. He is a good shooter because he makes shots. It stands to reason that if you can't make shots, you are not a good shooter.
I would disagree with that. We have deep 3 point shots primarily way beyond the top of the key that come from our offense. We also get 3's when our guard comes up the lane and gets a handoff around the foul line for a turnaround 3 at the top of the key. Those are tough and often contested 3's. I will say that we have gotten some 3's off transition that would be shots that should go down. They would help for sure but are not coming from the core offensive set.

Watch the way VT moves the ball and has aggressive motion/picks that causes the defense to switch and gets open catch and shoot opportunities. Syracuse did a JJ Reddick imitation and moved Girrard (spelling) off 876 picks to get his shot. Even UNC helps their guards by using Bacot to force switches on the guards who can either go to work on a big or dump the ball to Bacott if the opposing guard stays with him. We don't do any of that.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s been a mix as far as shot quality goes.

It looks to me like deebo has a very slow setup for his shot, so even when he is wide open he often gets pressured on his release because his slow setup allows the defender ample time to close out on him.

Kelly has a much quicker release than just about anyone else on the team. He’s also been the best shooter by far this season. Therefore, he is usually guarded a lot tighter on the perimeter. To combat the lack of space , he often rushes his shot or shoots from super deeeeeep.

Sturdivant is inconsistent. Terry has that weird side shot from over his shoulder. Smith is just a poor shooter. Moore is also. Tristan is streaky.

I say let us see what Fred Bob the European kid can do. I bet he’s the best shooter on the team.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
Freds played for two minutes in one game and shot perfectly beautiful three but has not played much since. He is 6’8 or 6’9 and as you said might be the best pure shooter on the team.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can’t believe that I’m about to say this, but I do agree with you. Many of our shots have been wide open looks. For all the warts the offensive system has produced this year, we’ve had several good looks in just about every game.

Where I disagree is that Coleman and Kelly are good shooters. Deebo shot 41% last year, as Josh mentioned post Clemson, Kelly was amongst national leaders earlier this year. I think they’re pressing, thinking too much. The worst thing a shooter can do is get in their heads. I’ve heard that Deebo is also dealing with some nagging injuries (Achilles).

Deivon shouldn’t shoot another 3 in his career.