Game Day - Clemson Edit v1.24

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Tip off at 9pm; be there or be square. Like the peg of our offense philosophically being jammed into the circular opening of our players’ skill set.. or something.

Good news / Bad news.

Good is that we get Wes on the call, Bad is we go on the road, to ranked Clemson, who are really feeling themselves at the moment.

Let’s go get some ⛽🚉 🍫

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Anybody attending? Great arena but the 9pm tip means I wouldn’t get home til 1:30am at earliest and the post-game traffic on Old Greenville Hwy was hellish last year, let alone tonight when LJC is close to sold out. Plus driving out of Atlanta at peak rush hour? Leaning towards watching on the couch but still deciding. If we were in Tournament contention, I think it’d be a no brainer.

SuperToe

Georgia Tech Fan
Meka played 1 minute against Syracuse. I thought I saw him on the court, but I blinked and he was back on the bench.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Meka played 1 minute against Syracuse. I thought I saw him on the court, but I blinked and he was back on the bench.
I saw him going to the scorers bench to check in but I thought Pastner pulled him back. Did he actually play?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
He has been fighting to stay healthy all year it seems. My recollection is he has been “available” for maybe two weeks but was out longer than that.

Not sure where his fitness is at, at this point. It’s hard to keep track of it.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don't get our bench usage at all. It seems like Pastner just tosses darts at a wall game-to-game.
Star of the team is the team. Ride the hot hand - if it’s Terry’s night (Miami), get Terry the minutes and the ball. If Franklin and Howard suck that night, play guard heavy small ball, etc.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Star of the team is the team. Ride the hot hand - if it’s Terry’s night (Miami), get Terry the minutes and the ball. If Franklin and Howard suck that night, play guard heavy small ball, etc.
More like well this isn’t working. Who can I send in and hope for better results. Dang that didn’t work either. Let me go back to something when we last one, oh right I don’t recall when that was.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't get our bench usage at all. It seems like Pastner just tosses darts at a wall game-to-game.
He has said many times that he coaches by gut feel, and occasionally recognized limitations of that approach in terms of providing consistent minutes or rotations. At this point I doubt he is going to change.

I think this year is also a challenge in that his tendency is to play 7-8 deep, but this team does not naturally break that way and he is constantly searching for combinations which work. Also, it feels like there have been more different starting lineups than any year I remember.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
He has said many times that he coaches by gut feel, and occasionally recognized limitations of that approach in terms of providing consistent minutes or rotations. At this point I doubt he is going to change.

I think this year is also a challenge in that his tendency is to play 7-8 deep, but this team does not naturally break that way and he is constantly searching for combinations which work. Also, it feels like there have been more different starting lineups than any year I remember.
100% agree with this.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I fully expected some random starting and substitution patterns early on in the season with this d. I will be honest I didn't expect to see us dump both of our PGs from the starting lineup halfway through the ACC season. Substitution patterns have been "random" as well - and not always based on on the court happenings - at least to my eye.

I hope CJP's communication skills are superb as it is really hard to play when you don't know your roles or have any idea of rotations for the game. By now the roles and pecking order should be established. It is kind of weird to watch and try to figure what is going to go on.

SuperToe

Georgia Tech Fan
In the chat, we said we needed to shut them out the final 10 minutes of the game to win. Even if we had, we would have still lost by 7.