Game 8 #UNCvsGT Postgame

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Been bitching about him not playing enough all damn season. Key finally listened!
I honestly just think Dontae was not fully healthy and ready to play until this week. My guess is last week he was healthy enough but the coaches wanted to just give him a couple plays since he had been out so long. Just enough to get his feet wet before they let him loose this week. I think a Haynes/Smith rotation is a solid backfield.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After tonight, I was thinking I feel like in general Bobby Dodd at night we win. So I decided to go back to the start of 2008 just to see.

Bobby Dodd night games

CPJ 12-5 , 4-2 vs ranked 3-2 vs Top 10
Collins 3-4 (he was 1-1 vs ranked at MBS for what it’s worth but only looking at Bobby Dodd)
Key 1-0, 1-0 vs ranked.

So since the start of 2008 5-2 vs ranked teams for Bobby Dodd night games. Even when we’re not having good years bobby dodd be a scary place to play at night if you’re an opponent.

calvin forever

Georgia Tech Fan
I honestly just think Dontae was not fully healthy and ready to play until this week. My guess is last week he was healthy enough but the coaches wanted to just give him a couple plays since he had been out so long. Just enough to get his feet wet before they let him loose this week. I think a Haynes/Smith rotation is a solid backfield.
There was a comment in the broadcast that the team was excited to have him back this game. Hope he stays on the field because you’re right, they make for a great duo

devcon

Georgia Tech Fan
There’s a lot I could say but instead here’s a pic I got with Singleton Jr.
IMG_5212.jpeg

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
It’d be either borderline medical malpractice or a massive coaching error to consider a player to not be healthy enough to participate essentially at all in one game, to seven days later being so healthy that you’re getting the bulk of the carries. In the biggest game of the season. Including five straight at one point which caused him to be physically exhausted.

That sounds like Superman recovery in 7 days. I’m not throwing alternative ideas out there, just going on what Key’s been saying and what’s been happening in the games. All facts. I love that they realized who the best RB was today.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It’d be either borderline medical malpractice or a massive coaching error to consider a player to not be healthy enough to participate essentially at all in one game, to seven days later being so healthy that you’re getting the bulk of the carries. In the biggest game of the season. Including five straight at one point which caused him to be physically exhausted.

That sounds like Superman recovery in 7 days. I’m not throwing alternative ideas out there, just going on what Key’s been saying and what’s been happening in the games. All facts. I love that they realized who the best RB was today.

Its entirely possible... that dontae's issue wasn't physical.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Few last notes.

1. As everyone keeps pointing out our pattern… would gladly take the BG BC and UVA losses if it meant ruining UGAs season.

2. Ifs and buts and all that jazz but if we had won BG and BC like we thought and held our lead vs UL we are 7-1. Should have lost Miami I get it but I just feel like we’re close to being in a good spot but just need to get consistent.

3. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like considering the blips in general attendance I’ve seen this year the student section has been consistently good.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I hate to admit this but I was happy that McCollum was invisible tonight. And that Rutherford and Singleton far outplayed him. I thought his loss was going to hurt us but we have had good production from the WR room.
Called it. Derrick Allen recorded no stats for UNC either, not sure if he played though - doesn't look like he's done much for them this season.

Also Drake Maye will end his college career winless against Georgia Tech.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
It’s entirely possible... that dontae's issue wasn't physical.
Me personally, I’d rather guess that the coaches didn’t put the right players in the right positions on the field. A common phrase people say after bad losses. Rather than jumping to a player’s mental being the potential issue and why he’s not playing.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Its entirely possible... that dontae's issue wasn't physical.

Wes said that Key said in their meetings during the week that they were “glad to have him back”. Considering he seemed fine physically and was never reported as injured, I do think his absence may have been mental health related.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I love that they realized who the best RB was today.
When your *** is on the line, sometimes you tolerate a bit of crap from your star players, I get it, he wanted more carries and they were being given to a guy that was clearly less capable. Who know why that happened? It pissed him off & he got labeled as "not buying in". It's what inexperienced leaders do when they're threatened, but they also normally have have a survavl instinct also. It kicked in tonight, a bit later that we all had hoped but they finally got it. I think we'lbe good from here on out. They saved face and can move along. Lesson learned, I hope.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Me personally, I’d rather guess that the coaches didn’t put the right players in the right positions on the field. A common phrase people say after bad losses. Rather than jumping to a player’s mental being the potential issue and why he’s not playing.

Except I am not. And downplaying a mental problem (see darren waller) is a bad thing. Hell for all we know dontae could have had a class kicking his *** and he went to key knowing he wasn't really going to th eleague and said coach i really have to focus here to graduate until i can ace the midterm. That is a mental issue as well.

Dontae also always had issues in blitz pickup. Which could have been caused by him not having time to study film like he had in the past. Stigmatizing mental health issues as somehow being worse to talk about is silly.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
There's only one thing I know for sure, I will never figure this team out. This feels big for the program somehow. Dec through January is going to be very interesting to watch IMO.
I thought the coaches had a really good game plan, they did an excellent job of scouting UNC and game planning around what they saw IMO. I somehow wish HK could correct the mind farts he seems to have, throwing more than once into triple coverage sure needs to be corrected. Someone said he seems at times to get set on going somewhere with the ball no matter what and I see it the same way. Don't get me wrong the kid is extremely talented, just seems to have the already mentioned problem from time to time. Get that corrected and I see him playing on Sundays. He has an NFL arm IMO. He's mentally tough as well as physically. I still believe CBK and company will bring GT back to it's glorious past but only if Angel and J Batt get us enough money and it needs to be done already. My barber says it has.:). Hope he knows what he's talking about.