Game 7 #BCvsGT Media

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate Moala's honesty, but someone needs to give this guy some PR lessons...or at least stay on script. He's also the same guy that said GT took Bowling Green lightly after they embarrassed us at home.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate Moala's honesty, but someone needs to give this guy some PR lessons...or at least stay on script. He's also the same guy that said GT took Bowling Green lightly after they embarrassed us at home.

It confuses me to hear you say someone needs to give him PR lessons. Isn’t that what we hated about our previous coach?

I find his honesty refreshing. I don’t love that they seem to be less focused at home but as you said I appreciate his honesty and I hope nobody gives him PR lessons but rather he keeps telling us the truth. I think that fits really well with the personality of our head coach, too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It confuses me to hear you say someone needs to give him PR lessons. Isn’t that what we hated about our previous coach?

I find his honesty refreshing. I don’t love that they seem to be less focused at home but as you said I appreciate his honesty and I hope nobody gives him PR lessons but rather he keeps telling us the truth. I think that fits really well with the personality of our head coach, too.

Collins wasn't PR...he was just straight BS. In all honesty, I was on his side at first, but when he continued to pump sunshine up everyone's you know what every year after terrible losses, he lost the room. When he continuously tried to spin bad decisions and the repeated breakdowns...well, you know BS when you see it.

Moala is just being honest, and I'm sure there are some coaches that are cringing because it reflects poorly on them, but like I said you have to appreciate a guy who's being honest even if it puts pressure on himself and some coaches. I just think it creates unnecessary questions. I get what you're saying, but if you're in that locker room, and reporters point to his quotes as to why the team continues to perform poorly, I'm sure players and coaches will not take kindly to having to answer questions that their teammate set up. Honest guys are a reporters dream, and it seems they're being accountable to the fans...but there's the other side of it that some things need to be handled inside the locker room.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Collins wasn't PR...he was just straight BS. In all honesty, I was on his side at first, but when he continued to pump sunshine up everyone's you know what every year after terrible losses, he lost the room. When he continuously tried to spin bad decisions and the repeated breakdowns...well, you know BS when you see it.

Moala is just being honest, and I'm sure there are some coaches that are cringing because it reflects poorly on them, but like I said you have to appreciate a guy who's being honest even if it puts pressure on himself and some coaches. I just think it creates unnecessary questions. I get what you're saying, but if you're in that locker room, and reporters point to his quotes as to why the team continues to perform poorly, I'm sure players and coaches will not take kindly to having to answer questions that their teammate set up. Honest guys are a reporters dream, and it seems they're being accountable to the fans...but there's the other side of it that some things need to be handled inside the locker room.
You want him to be less honest. I prefer the kid to be completely honest. I doubt that it upset any of the coaches otherwise they probably would not have sent him out there considering, as you rightly pointed out, he was brutally honest about what happened with BGSU. In fact I think that’s probably why they sent him out again. And I still think it’s better for the team to have those honest players. I don’t think what he’s said is anything close to one of those “handle in the locker room” situations. It’s not like he’s ratting out guys who are actively being divisive. He’s just saying they need to take things more seriously at home.

He doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy who would air dirty laundry about other guys in public which are the kinds of things I completely agree should be handled behind closed doors.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You want him to be less honest. I prefer the kid to be completely honest. I doubt that it upset any of the coaches otherwise they probably would not have sent him out there considering, as you rightly pointed out, he was brutally honest about what happened with BGSU. In fact I think that’s probably why they sent him out again. And I still think it’s better for the team to have those honest players. I don’t think what he’s said is anything close to one of those “handle in the locker room” situations. It’s not like he’s ratting out guys who are actively being divisive. He’s just saying they need to take things more seriously at home.

He doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy who would air dirty laundry about other guys in public which are the kinds of things I completely agree should be handled behind closed doors.

I'm not saying Moala has bad intentions. I'm just saying there's a better way to go about it. There's a saying in sports: "Do your job, and don't be a distraction."

There's a difference in connotation between saying (we'll have to hear what he actually said versus KQ's paraphrasing) "The team's attitude is a little lax for our home games" versus "The team needs to start fast, and keep up our intensity." One reflects negatively on the team, and the other is just a matter of fact assessment on what they need to do...both refer to the same thing, but former brings up some questions that coaches and players will need to answer to.

I think you're looking at it from a fan's perspective. It's refreshing that some players are willing to be truthful and let their feelings be known about shortcomings. However, that's a double edged sword. Now when the team has a bad half, or (heaven forbid) loses, reporters are going to ask his teammates whether they took the other team seriously or if they're not focusing at home like they should have. I'm not so sure coaches will appreciate that a player on the team is saying "we're lax when playing at home" or "we didn't take team X seriously". Coaches will never admit it publicly that a player saying that is an issue. That's a negative reflection on the coaches that they're not doing their jobs, and the team for not focusing on the job at hand.

Hopefully GT wins out and we never have to hear those "lax" and "didn't take them seriously" statements again.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying Moala has bad intentions. I'm just saying there's a better way to go about it. There's a saying in sports: "Do your job, and don't be a distraction."

There's a difference in connotation between saying (we'll have to hear what he actually said versus KQ's paraphrasing) "The team's attitude is a little lax for our home games" versus "The team needs to start fast, and keep up our intensity." One reflects negatively on the team, and the other is just a matter of fact assessment on what they need to do...both refer to the same thing, but former brings up some questions that coaches and players will need to answer to.

I think you're looking at it from a fan's perspective. It's refreshing that some players are willing to be truthful and let their feelings be known about shortcomings. However, that's a double edged sword. Now when the team has a bad half, or (heaven forbid) loses, reporters are going to ask his teammates whether they took the other team seriously or if they're not focusing at home like they should have. I'm not so sure coaches will appreciate that a player on the team is saying "we're lax when playing at home" or "we didn't take team X seriously". Coaches will never admit it publicly that a player saying that is an issue. That's a negative reflection on the coaches that they're not doing their jobs, and the team for not focusing on the job at hand.

Hopefully GT wins out and we never have to hear those "lax" and "didn't take them seriously" statements again.
If I thought what he was doing was anywhere near a distraction or betraying a trust then I’d agree 100% with you and honestly I appreciate your point of view. I hear what you’re saying and I just feel like you’re making it a bigger deal than it is. Did he say something nobody realized just from their own observation was a problem? If the coaches felt he was causing an issue they probably would not have sent him out. I also don’t feel like your quote about being a distraction is applicable though I get it and agree with what it means.

As for looking at it as a fan… most of us have been on teams of one sort or another both large and small. That type of comment being made in front of 50,000 people wouldn’t make me feel like some secret or trust was being betrayed. If he was saying something that sounded like he was betraying some internal secret then I might agree with your assessment. It’s just that I don’t think he’s sharing some news flash or sordid details of something super secret. I kind of feel like if that generic of a comment really bothered other players then they probably aren’t very mentally strong. But I just don’t think his comments are offensive. Of course it’s possible I’m wrong.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
-Doesn’t call out anyone specifically
-Has been on almost every player press conference
-6th year with a degree already at his 3rd school
-Echos what we all see and what all the coaches know

I guess some of your perspectives are okay, but remember, if this guy was putting his foot in his mouth, Key wouldn’t have him on the presser.

His comments post bowling green, calling out the team for not taking the game seriously, is not a negative reflection on him, but the whole team. But we saw it on the field. I would want the 6th year playing what might be his last football ever to call it as he sees it, lead by example with authenticity, and you best believe that the conversation is a lot more harsh and specific within that locker room. Also, not enough people watch these weekly player pressers that you should be worried about the reflection of our coaches, and if they were upset, why is he still starting?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If I thought what he was doing was anywhere near a distraction or betraying a trust then I’d agree 100% with you and honestly I appreciate your point of view. I hear what you’re saying and I just feel like you’re making it a bigger deal than it is. Did he say something nobody realized just from their own observation was a problem? If the coaches felt he was causing an issue they probably would not have sent him out. I also don’t feel like your quote about being a distraction is applicable though I get it and agree with what it means.

As for looking at it as a fan… most of us have been on teams of one sort or another both large and small. That type of comment being made in front of 50,000 people wouldn’t make me feel like some secret or trust was being betrayed. If he was saying something that sounded like he was betraying some internal secret then I might agree with your assessment. It’s just that I don’t think he’s sharing some news flash or sordid details of something super secret. I kind of feel like if that generic of a comment really bothered other players then they probably aren’t very mentally strong. But I just don’t think his comments are offensive. Of course it’s possible I’m wrong.
To my way of thinking, Moala's comments fall within the category of leadership. Far from a distraction, maybe they helped the team focus on a problem that needed attention.
And the problem seems to have been corrected vs. Miami. Maybe his comments helped.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
To my way of thinking, Moala's comments fall within the category of leadership. Far from a distraction, maybe they helped the team focus on a problem that needed attention.
And the problem seems to have been corrected vs. Miami. Maybe his comments helped.
💯

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree and I am greatly enjoying a good discussion. I respect @Techster s POV though I disagree and, to me, that’s when the discussions are the most fun. I’ve appreciated the time Techster took to rationally express that POV.

Same to you buddy. I appreciate having respectful discussions that explores both sides of an issue. On this issue, it just depends on your perspective.

I tend to fall on the side of criticism should stay in the locker room and in meetings. Of course, to your point, there's nothing wrong with putting your teammates on notice through the press. Paul Johnson used to do it all the time.

Neither of us is right or wrong...but the discussion has been enjoyable on my side as well. Hopefully, GT wins more than we lose the rest of the way and we don't have players bringing these issues up anymore because our guys are putting it all on the field.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Suprised that nobody has commented on Key’s statement at around 13:30, that Sherrer has installed a new defensive base scheme, the 3-3 stack

Here it is, the D plan for the weekend:

Key is a great coach IMHO. If he can't fix it, then I don't think it will be at GT. Liked his presser.