Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Here you go—the highlights.

The last drive for Wake, we play prevent—very heavy on bend vs break.

King’s first int is just bad. He threw some dimes that were beautiful. He’s got a high ceiling, but runs hot and cold. If he works out those kinks, he’s top-tier. That’s why we could use something for when he’s cold.

Ellison for Wake had some nice runs.

Offense isn’t there yet. Defense isn’t there yet. Hopefully we put it together before Miami. There are good signs, though.

On King's INT, I thought I heard Singleton was held early in his route, which is why it was an overthrow.

slugboy

Staff member
On King's INT, I thought I heard Singleton was held early in his route, which is why it was an overthrow.
I can only comment on what I see. Maybe that’s why he was bracketed and the pass overthrown. Unless King saw him break free of coverage earlier (unlikely if he was being held), It’s still the wrong read to throw to the double-covered receiver.

Someone had to be open on that play.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

I don't think that mattered based on when the ball was thrown. Either there was some miscommunication about how the route should be adjusted or Singleton misread the throw and got him out of position to make a play on that. I got no problem going deep with 1:1 coverage. INT on a ball like that is pretty rare unless a guy is wide open and badly overthrown. The ball may have been overthrown but most of the time that's good enough for a receiver to at least fight to break it up.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Singleton got his foot down in time if he had control. The replay is not clear.
When I re-watched the replay it looks like the ball is sliding down until his foot is out of bounds - which would mean control is not established until he is out, might not be enough to overturn but it would depend upon the crew. Was glad they chose not to review it, it would have been a close call.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Don’t take this as me being negative on a win. I think we got just 10 points off of the 5 turnovers we should have gotten at least double that.
We hit some beautiful big plays, but we don’t grind it out very well (we aren’t efficient).
The last couple of years, we didn’t move the ball a lot. Now, we move the ball. We move it well enough that we should score a lot more than we do.
This is kind of like complaining that the maids keep bumping into the furniture when they’re cleaning the house.

Success rate is how often you get 50% of necessary yards on first down, 70% on second down, and 100% on third down. It’s “staying ahead of the chains”. Net success rate is our success rate minus Wake’s success rate. We’re at -15%, because Wake was 15% better than us at staying ahead of the chains.

We lived on big plays.
One of our problems on 3rd down and in RZ is smaller backs.WE don't seem to have a bulldozer capability at all so in close to GL esp with no long pass ability the DEF can stuff us it seems.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
When I re-watched the replay it looks like the ball is sliding down until his foot is out of bounds - which would mean control is not established until he is out, might not be enough to overturn but it would depend upon the crew. Was glad they chose not to review it, it would have been a close call.
First couple of times I saw what you saw (may not have gotten possession soon enough) but later I saw a different angle which looked more like he had it and pulled it down with constant possession. The refs may have had that last angle as there seem to be no question about "catch" at the time.

slugboy

Staff member
One of our problems on 3rd down and in RZ is smaller backs.WE don't seem to have a bulldozer capability at all so in close to GL esp with no long pass ability the DEF can stuff us it seems.
We have TEs we can use as fullbacks (H backs). Mike Alstott or Jerome Bettis are nice to have, but they were beating us off our blocks. We need a counter or a trap or something to make them pay for guessing. Or we need to block faster.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We have TEs we can use as fullbacks (H backs). Mike Alstott or Jerome Bettis are nice to have, but they were beating us off our blocks. We need a counter or a trap or something to make them pay for guessing. Or we need to block faster.
Almost wonder about running a power-I or something with some lead blockers. That would give the running back a little more room to find the hole or kick it outside.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I really liked how Tech stopped the two 4th down tries- Thought they were bad decisions from Wake (and kind of disrespectful to our defense). Glad the Jackets made them pay for those decisions.

I really hated the Ford truck commercials with ugag. Don’t think I will be buying any of their product any time soon LOL.

slugboy

Staff member
So, Herbstreit thinks we were one of the top performing teams of the week. It’s been a while since we got kudos, so let’s take ‘em.

While we’re at it, Kelly Ford ratings: (kfordratings.com)
Up to #57–looking up at NCST and Pitt, but up a lot

rs=w:1023,h:838

Last edited:

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
According to PFF, our overall team pass blocking grade (94.3) was the highest in any Tech game in the PFF College era, going back to the beginning of 2014.
This offensive line has been by far the most consistent for us in a longggg time. The fact that we don’t notice them in games says a ton. Geep wade has really done well with this group. I actually look forward to watching our offense every game, which is such a change from my eyes bleeding watching the offense the last 4 years…

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Almost wonder about running a power-I or something with some lead blockers. That would give the running back a little more room to find the hole or kick it outside.

If my memory serves, O'Leary changed to the Wishbone occasionally when GT was close to the Goal Line. Perhaps it was actually OC Ralph Friedgen?

slugboy

Staff member
If my memory serves, O'Leary changed to the Wishbone occasionally when GT was close to the Goal Line. Perhaps it was actually OC Ralph Friedgen?
Fridge ran a power I and one set with a fullback, and tailback, and a deep back—straight I with three backs. Only once for that.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand why every team doesn't do what the Philadelphia Eagles do in short yardage. Put the QB under center and put three back up linemen in the backfield to just push the pile forward. I always shake my head when I see teams lineup in the shotgun and hand off to a back 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage giving the defense time to bring someone around the end to hit the runner in the backfield. CPJ rarely got stopped with his offense in short yardage because he was either giving it to the B back lined up a yard or two behind the QB or the QB took it himself to whatever gap gave us the biggest advantage.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why every team doesn't do what the Philadelphia Eagles do in short yardage. Put the QB under center and put three back up linemen in the backfield to just push the pile forward. I always shake my head when I see teams lineup in the shotgun and hand off to a back 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage giving the defense time to bring someone around the end to hit the runner in the backfield. CPJ rarely got stopped with his offense in short yardage because he was either giving it to the B back lined up a yard or two behind the QB or the QB took it himself to whatever gap gave us the biggest advantage.
Jalen Hurts also squats more than most lineman. His leg strength is absurd.

slugboy

Staff member
I think we’re running an offense more like WKU or USCW. Think Air Raid with a strong running game—still balanced. We’re more based on spread and speed.