Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

slugboy

Staff member
Here you go—the highlights.

The last drive for Wake, we play prevent—very heavy on bend vs break.

King’s first int is just bad. He threw some dimes that were beautiful. He’s got a high ceiling, but runs hot and cold. If he works out those kinks, he’s top-tier. That’s why we could use something for when he’s cold.

Ellison for Wake had some nice runs.

Offense isn’t there yet. Defense isn’t there yet. Hopefully we put it together before Miami. There are good signs, though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Your commitment to the outcome is admirable. I hope we win.

nuts GIF

Doubt that ump called another strike from that pitcher.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
There was never going to be an instant fix from the mess Key inherited. He got a head start last year, but this is a new staff. It'll take some time to fix everything. But we're improving. We're not making the same mistakes over and over, game after game. That's already a big step forward from where we were.
This is absolutely true. Have we been penalized yet for too many or too few men on the field? Or had to call time out to get someone on or off the field? Seems like we had 3+ years of doing that every game — some games more than once.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
4 games into the Key regime and I'm pleased with how we've played. We're not 'there' yet. But we're closer to 'there' than we were at any point in the four years under TFG. The losses to UL and Ole Miss sucked (losing always does). But they sucked worse because we had chances to win, especially UL. Having a chance to win in games like that is a massive leap over where we were last year four games in. We've played hard, we've (mostly) played smart, we have pieces that are starting to come together. We've yet to play a complete game. When (if) we do, we will be a pretty good team.

There was never going to be an instant fix from the mess Key inherited. He got a head start last year, but this is a new staff. It'll take some time to fix everything. But we're improving. We're not making the same mistakes over and over, game after game. That's already a big step forward from where we were.

This is absolutely true. Have we been penalized yet for too many or too few men on the field? Or had to call time out to get someone on or off the field? Seems like we had 3+ years of doing that every game — some games more than once.

Interesting point. In the post game presser Clawson talked about how his team has kept repeating the same mistakes in multiple games this season. He said that was a coaching issue. I am encouraged that we seem to be seeing corrections to our issues in every game.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Really glad to get the win. WF is missing their QB, but they have been really, really hard to beat in W/S, winning something like 14 of last 16, but did not play well last night. We showed flashes of being a good team, as we have in all 4 games, but also flashes of the last 4 years. Hopefully we can come closer to putting a full game together Saturday. We need to confidence.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, not many put us at 4-0 or 3-1 at this point of the season. 2-2 isn’t a bad start for a complete overhaul of a team and culture as we were in the 2 loses until the end. Last year, for comparison, we weren’t in any of the first 3 loses.

Picking up a win on the road is big for a rebuild no matter who the opponent is, especially in conference. I’m glad our guys got to experience the lead and actually getting to play through keeping it, on the road nonetheless. THAT is a big win for our team.

At the end of the day, we look worlds better in a lot of aspects in comparison to the last three, four years. A win is a win. I don’t care about style points. We are one of the most dangerous 2 loss teams in the country. Period.

#THWg

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Not that I think the refs favored WF exactly, but we had multiple (2) “turnovers” that were probably fumbles but not enough to overturn. I can see why Wake fans felt equally screwed.
As long as we feel screwed along with our competition , I’m happy. we tailgated with several great WF fans before and after the game After the game and several drinks theysounded like GT fans after our losses..l.lol

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This was my biggest gripe. 90% of the calls were ticky tacky at best but they were ONLY against us! There were so many plays that could have been called against Wake that were not. If you are going to call every little questionable contact or hold (which I think is BS regardless) then you need to call them against both teams.
Pulling the shirt should be called every time. This can slow and redirect players movement significantly. Make it black and not gray. Call it everytime and it will cut down on the ref's judgement (and inconsistent calls) and over time will cut down on the holding. I do not agree with pulling shirts being a part of real football. I saw a 330# player pulled to the ground by the shirt in this game and a penalty not called.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t seen Dontae for two games or DJ Moore? There was a lot of hype around Moore this off season. Surprising

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s not just about the calls that were made, some of which deserve an absolute ear full at the minimum, but also about the calls that weren’t made. As a receiver, it’s pretty easy to get open when you are allowed to push the defender completely away from the play. And that was for a touchdown.
If you are going to give ticky tack calls for taunting, you better be getting every other call correct
Thing is, the crew is made up of several guys, all with their own viewpoints. It's not like one person is making the calls. They each see what they see from their own vantagepoints.
I've complained about a call here and there too, but I try to keep in mind that people both on the field and off make mistakes because we are all human. I don't expect the refs to be any more perfect than the players or coaches. I don't expect them to be perfect, but I believe most of them try to be fair and the calls even up in the end.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Thing is, the crew is made up of several guys, all with their own viewpoints. It's not like one person is making the calls. They each see what they see from their own vantagepoints.
I've complained about a call here and there too, but I try to keep in mind that people both on the field and off make mistakes because we are all human. I don't expect the refs to be any more perfect than the players or coaches. I don't expect them to be perfect, but I believe most of them try to be fair and the calls even up in the end.

I don’t think they decidedly chose to only call against tech. But If something smells funny, it’s worth calling out. They are human yes, but not above criticism. As far as different view points, if they are able to see us commit holds then surely they should be in position to see when wake does?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think they decidedly chose to only call against tech. But If something smells funny, it’s worth calling out. They are human yes, but not above criticism. As far as different view points, if they are able to see us commit holds then surely they should be in position to see when wake does?
I complained about the uncalled defensive holding against Ole Miss last week, too, but bottom line I think they're honest. No, they're not above criticism but penalties are just a fact of the game, called and uncalled, but they even out in the end. I swore to go easy on the refs forever after since they ruled Jasper Thanks dropped that ball at the two-yard line at Grant Field 24 years ago. I'm still grateful for that...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Man our D played like their hair was on fire last night. The staff took a lot more chances with pressure this week and it paid off. Was awesome to see. We still have up some yards, but we were after Griffis all night.

On O we continue to be streaky. It’s particularly concerning how flat we continue to show out after halftime.

Overall really happy with the win. I love watching our defense get after a team like that! If we are able to put together a complete game on offense and bring that kind of defensive effort I think we could beat most teams on our schedule - even the mutts based on how they’ve looked.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The PI call was nonsense. Meanwhile when Wake picked off King the defender blatantly pushed the receiver to get himself into position to nab the pick.

Then two blindside blocks? The one on Kinnard was suspect. I didn’t see the other.