Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
4 games into Key's true tenure and I can say I am happy this morning to see where he is taking things. We couldnt say the same about Collins

Sure there is still stuff to clean up, but at least we're better off than before and our QB is already setting records

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
From what I've been told, Key is plenty animated behind the scenes. He does come from the O'Leary/Saban tree after all............
I agree, because it may simply be a coincidence that most — if not all — of the sideline camera shots of Coach Key in last night’s televised broadcast of the game showed him cool and calm. And yes, quite possibly, nothing more.

In last week’s televised Ole Miss game, for example, the sideline shots of Coach Key showed him a lot more emotional at times. Especially when the refs failed to call an apparent pass interference on that fourth down pass that Coach Key called for.

From what I’ve seen on TV so far, however, I believe Coach Key is the type of head coach who is not a micromanager, and that’s a very good thing, from my perspective.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
So who is calling the plays? Is it Faulker or Key or a combination of Weinke/Faulkner? Because we gotta do better in the 2nd half with that
I doubt it's Key. Camera shots of him during even offensive series show him to not be engaged with the play calling. And weinke was on the sidelines likewise seeming to not being involved in play calling.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
  • Great feeling waking up Sunday AM with a victory !!
  • Loved the attacking defensive game plan
  • DL play improved, run defense was a little shaky
  • Too many penalties, kept WF drives alive
  • Haynes King-Singleton combination huge bright spot going forward
  • Pass Interference penalty against Johnson on WF 2nd TD was awful, glad he got'em back with the int.
  • Team plays hard, that's a compliment for this staff
  • Not going to say what was going through my mind with 4 minutes left in the game ...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The WF fan board has a consensus opinion about what happened:
Griffis is terrible and the refs favored Ga Tech.
I honestly don't think the refs favored anybody. Most folks on both boards would probably disagree, which is why I'm probably right.
Some calls were borderline, but I didn't see any that were egregious. On the whole, I thought it was a fairly called game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The only, I repeat ONLY criticism I have of the coaching last night was the decision to try to return a kickoff rather than taking a fair catch. Almost a disaster, as there was also a penalty on the play.
Oh, I agree with this. Most kickoffs inside the ten should be fair caught, rules being what they are now. That return was a prime example as to why. Not only are you in all probability not going to make the 25, but there are also the added possibilities of a penalty (almost always against the return team) and injury. Since they moved the tee 5 yards closer and moved the ball from the 20 to the 25, most kickoff returns just aren't worth the risk anymore.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't think the refs favored anybody. Most folks on both boards would probably disagree, which is why I'm probably right.
Some calls were borderline, but I didn't see any that were egregious. On the whole, I thought it was a fairly called game.
There were many borderline calls made against us and none were called against Wake. The Johnson PI call was bogus. Heck, their offensive tackle dragged our DL down to the ground as he getting bowled over and there was no call.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I agree with this. Most kickoffs inside the ten should be fair caught, rules being what they are now. That return was a prime example as to why. Not only are you in all probability not going to make the 25, but there are also the added possibilities of a penalty (almost always against the return team) and injury. Since they moved the tee 5 yards closer and moved the ball from the 20 to the 25, most kickoff returns just aren't worth the risk anymore.
It's gotten pretty bad when I see the opponent's kickoff go well into our end zone and breathe a sigh of relief. How many of our runbacks this year have made it past the 25? Surely the coaches are noticing this.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Welp. We lost the time of possession battle
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF
Wait, did WF REALLY get 31 first downs with only 3+ m
Welp. We lost the time of possession battle
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF
did they really get 31 first downs? That’s gotta be a typo

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s not just about the calls that were made, some of which deserve an absolute ear full at the minimum, but also about the calls that weren’t made. As a receiver, it’s pretty easy to get open when you are allowed to push the defender completely away from the play. And that was for a touchdown.
If you are going to give ticky tack calls for taunting, you better be getting every other call correct