Game 3 #GTvsOM Media

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven’t seen this weeks depth chart posted here but if you look, Ethan MacKenny has taken over the full time starting job at LT. As a true freshman! I actually thought Robinson was pretty good but he’s beaten him out! I don’t think this has gotten enough attention.
Glad to see them making these sorts of adjustments. Sticking with something/someone that's not working just because "it might someday" isn't gonna get us where we need to go.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Those quotes are not good, but they are also not surprising. Coaches run off players all the time.

I don't think fans though really understand how college sports could change once student-athletes are made employees.
That changes the relationship significantly. A coach could run off a player and a player could file a lawsuit against the school and the coach saying it was an 'illegal firing' and let the judicial system start making decisions on whether what happened was allowed under the terms of the employment contract.

If a player wants to get his/her degree from a school and the coaches are trying to run that player off because they don't make a big enough impact on the field, the player as an employee could go after the coaches for retaliation.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Those quotes are not good, but they are also not surprising. Coaches run off players all the time.

I don't think fans though really understand how college sports could change once student-athletes are made employees.
That changes the relationship significantly. A coach could run off a player and a player could file a lawsuit against the school and the coach saying it was an 'illegal firing' and let the judicial system start making decisions on whether what happened was allowed under the terms of the employment contract.

If a player wants to get his/her degree from a school and the coaches are trying to run that player off because they don't make a big enough impact on the field, the player as an employee could go after the coaches for retaliation.
I thought that the new rules allowed for a player to be cut from roster but remain on scholarship, thus providing less incentive for coaches to risk putting the school in line for retaliation.
It appears I was mistaken and this rule only applies in the context of a new coach being hired.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I thought that the new rules allowed for a player to be cut from roster but remain on scholarship, thus providing less incentive for coaches to risk putting the school in line for retaliation.
It appears I was mistaken and this rule only applies in the context of a new coach being hired.

According to statements from Ole Miss, Rollins is still on scholarship at the university.

"We have not received a lawsuit," Ole Miss wrote in a statement issued through a school spokesman Thursday night. "DeSanto was never removed from the football team and remains on scholarship. In addition, he continues to have the opportunity to receive all of the resources and advantages that are afforded a student-athlete at the university."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wow that's crazy. You gotta be really careful dealing with the mental health break stuff. Although it seems like the kid would be cool if he was promised the position he wants, you almost have to honor the request for a break. Lawsuit was an obvious outcome here. OMiss fumbled the ball here and the recording of Kiffin is damning.

Ah well. Have fun with all that, OMiss.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Wow that's crazy. You gotta be really careful dealing with the mental health break stuff. Although it seems like the kid would be cool if he was promised the position he wants, you almost have to honor the request for a break. Lawsuit was an obvious outcome here. OMiss fumbled the ball here and the recording of Kiffin is damning.

Ah well. Have fun with all that, OMiss.
If Ole Miss keeps him on scholarship (which they claim they have), do they really have to allow him to remain on the team?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth (from July):
Last month both the Ole Miss football team led by Lane Kiffin and women’s basketball team led by Coach Yolett McCuin, became the first division one programs to have all of their coaching staff fully certified in mental health first aid.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer