Game 3 #GTvsCLEM Media

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is so different from the athletic training that was practiced for years. Day before a game was light workouts and skull sessions assuming you had been grinding all week.

When I was a distance runner (amateur) you did a very short run the day before a race and race day you did just enough to stretch out and warm up. The assumption is that you have stuff saved up in your bank. Likewise after a long distance race the next day you do lots of walking to get over the sore muscles.

Anyway, weight lifting as I was told, builds you up by first breaking down muscle fiber. We would never break down our muscle fiber the day of a competition. 😁

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is so different from the athletic training that was practiced for years. Day before a game was light workouts and skull sessions assuming you had been grinding all week.

When I was a distance runner (amateur) you did a very short run the day before a race and race day you did just enough to stretch out and warm up. The assumption is that you have stuff saved up in your bank. Likewise after a long distance race the next day you do lots of walking to get over the sore muscles.

Anyway, weight lifting as I was told, builds you up by first breaking down muscle fiber. We would never break down our muscle fiber the day of a competition. 😁
In weight lifting, it really depends what kind of movements and loads/volume you're doing. Doing a mid volume, moderate load won't really break down any muscle fiber but will increase blood flow into that muscle. This can be optimal for athletes competing in a football game, if done properly. No one is saying they should be maxing out the morning of a game. Even when lifting heavy, it's best to lift prior to and I'm not talking about warming up. Even after warming up, you shouldn't just jump to heavy weight, you should build up, which I do not consider warm up.

Also, your analogy of running before a running race isn't perfect. They aren't weight lifting, they are playing football so it's not like they are directly "emptying the tank" prior to but rather building up that blood flow and getting ready to perform.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
“Go back to earth.” Interesting. I don’t sense that even the most die hard CGC supporters are on cloud 9 about this season. I think we all want to see the victory that tells us we are on the right path. Beating Clemson would be a signature win. Same for Notre Dame and Georgia. Even if we just beat one team with a winning record this year. Anything.

But another 3 win season, given “how much progress we have made” will be a serious blow to the program and may set us back 5 years.
These are the bizarre comments that drive me crazy. This statement is pure opinion and conjecture. There is ZERO bases for making this comment other than a "gut feel" from a fan who is not inside the program nor associated with the recruiting process. I do understand the sentiment, but...

Sure, I'll concede that a 3-win season wouldn't be good, but how the Hell do you know that it would be a serious blow and may set us back 5 years? What if it was just a semi-serious blow and only set us back 2 years? Or maybe it would be a minor blip and not really set us back at all.

Last edited:

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
These are the bizarre comments that drive me crazy. This statement is pure opinion and conjecture. There is ZERO bases for making this comment other than a "gut feel" from a fan who is not inside the program nor associated with the recruiting process. I do understand the sentiment, but...

Sure, I'll concede that a 3-win season wouldn't be good, but how the Hell do you know that it would be a serious blow and may set us back 5 years? What if it was just a semi-serious blow and only set us back 2 years? Or maybe it would be a minor blip and not really set us back at all.
You are correct. It is an opinion. NE Stinger's opinion is a good as anyone elses in regards to the statement you quoted.

My personal opinion is another 3 win season could result in (1) Not getting some potential recruits (2) Possibly loosing some valuable players off the roster to the transfer portal. Again, just one fan's uninformed opinion.

I think most would agree that another 3 win season would put CGC (further) on the hotseat with ADTS, even if he doesnt say it publicly and definately with the fanbase. Could CGC recover and turn it around after a 3 win season? Maybe. I don't think so.

If we all were only allowed to state facts, then it woudl be a pretty boring message board.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, I understand. But the reason I think you and the most severe critics of CGC keep talking past each other is that you seem to not understand what it does to a sizable portion of the fan base to get built up over and over again by talk of how successful the program is now only to see no translation on the field for three years.

But, hey, let’s just win Saturday and we don’t have to keep marinating in these negative conversations.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In weight lifting, it really depends what kind of movements and loads/volume you're doing. Doing a mid volume, moderate load won't really break down any muscle fiber but will increase blood flow into that muscle. This can be optimal for athletes competing in a football game, if done properly. No one is saying they should be maxing out the morning of a game. Even when lifting heavy, it's best to lift prior to and I'm not talking about warming up. Even after warming up, you shouldn't just jump to heavy weight, you should build up, which I do not consider warm up.

Also, your analogy of running before a running race isn't perfect. They aren't weight lifting, they are playing football so it's not like they are directly "emptying the tank" prior to but rather building up that blood flow and getting ready to perform.
Thanks! I’m still learning at this late stage of life.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think it is unlikely we see Sims against Clemson this week. He would not be able to hold the ball with his left arm with strength on a run and too much chance he injuries it again if tackled. Hard to really know without knowing the exact injury. No reason to take a chance even if Yates has to come out. We aren't expected to win anyway and the season is still early. They probably are giving him reps to keep him sharp with his passing until he is ready.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think it is unlikely we see Sims against Clemson this week. He would not be able to hold the ball with his left arm with strength on a run and too much chance he injuries it again if tackled. Hard to really know without knowing the exact injury. No reason to take a chance even if Yates has to come out. We aren't expected to win anyway and the season is still early. They probably are giving him reps to keep him sharp with his passing until he is ready.
Whattaya mean "he injuries it again"? One look at that contraption on his arm and any sensible would be tackler would recoil in horror figuring he was some kind of freakish lab creation from those nerds at Tech.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. It is an opinion. NE Stinger's opinion is a good as anyone elses in regards to the statement you quoted.

My personal opinion is another 3 win season could result in (1) Not getting some potential recruits (2) Possibly loosing some valuable players off the roster to the transfer portal. Again, just one fan's uninformed opinion.

I think most would agree that another 3 win season would put CGC (further) on the hotseat with ADTS, even if he doesnt say it publicly and definately with the fanbase. Could CGC recover and turn it around after a 3 win season? Maybe. I don't think so.

If we all were only allowed to state facts, then it woudl be a pretty boring message board.
Opinions are fine, but don't state an opinion as fact.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I understand. But the reason I think you and the most severe critics of CGC keep talking past each other is that you seem to not understand what it does to a sizable portion of the fan base to get built up over and over again by talk of how successful the program is now only to see no translation on the field for three years.

But, hey, let’s just win Saturday and we don’t have to keep marinating in these negative conversations.
I would love to win on Saturday.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Opinions are fine, but don't state an opinion as fact.
For the record, “may set us back” is a fact. “May not set us back” would also be a fact since both statements are based on unforeseen variables and are modified by “may.”

I have no desire to beat anyone up about this. My position is that I want CGC to succeed like 99% of the people on this site. I am hopeful for a winning season and see no reason why that shouldn’t happen. At the same time I completely understand those that are warning about the storm clouds they see on the horizon. The good news is that none of our opinions will make any difference in what actually happens. Some of us “may” be right and some of us “may” be wrong. That’s a fact. 😀

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
pI think it is unlikely we see Sims against Clemson this week. He would not be able to hold the ball with his left arm with strength on a run and too much chance he injuries it again if tackled. Hard to really know without knowing the exact injury. No reason to take a chance even if Yates has to come out. We aren't expected to win anyway and the season is still early. They probably are giving him reps to keep him sharp with his passing until he is ready.

Agree. Who is up after Yates?

slugboy

Staff member
Agree. Who is up after Yates?
I think this might be rhetorical, but Thad Beatty seems to be next, with Peery possibly looking at a red shirt?
(I don’t think Peery will see action against Clemson unless it’s a very strange day)