Votes: 17 8.8%
  • KSU by 14+

Votes: 8 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So ? What is your point ?
I think his point is that if Tech were to come out and play with their hair on fire and was reasonably well coached on defense, we should be able to beat an FCS team even one ranked #15 and has been in the playoffs three years in a row. I watched a couple of their games from 2019 and the Reinhardt game and it was like watching Tech under Johnson. Defense was spotty but they had good athletes at quarterback and speedy A backs and a bruising pair of B backs one of them at 230lbs. The biggest difference between Tech and Kennesaw will be the size of the lines. A couple of things they did not do that were mainstays of the Johnson version of the option were the Rocket Toss and the Counter Option. They ran that Lead Option to death and the Midline.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just a curious question. For those that think we'll blow the doors off KSU... Why? What have you seen to suggest we'll take them to the wood shed? Yes, we have better talent... However; we had better talent against NIU and you see where that got us. Just curious... If you're using the fact they aren't a P5 school, let me remind you about the Citadel. I think we win.... but, not by some huge landslide... and.....I may be wrong... (which I hope I am)....
I don't know about you but I am hoping and praying that Sims comes out and shows people what he is capable of and force them out of their comfort zone down a couple of scores. Their passing is, to be charitable, erratic but they do have good athletes at quarterback and speed on the outside. Of the three games I watched from 2019 and the one last week, I was not too impressed with their defense but I would offer this caveat. If we turn the ball over more than twice against them, it will get real interesting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
KSU is #22 in the FCS rankings. The team one spot above them lost by 6 points to a top 10 Iowa St team after being a 28 point underdog last week. I voted that this will be a blowout but considering how bad we are and how bad we play against bad teams, im not that overly confident about my vote.
I thought they were #15 in the FCS coaches poll but OK with #22. They are consistently in the playoffs but have not gone past the quarters just yet.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we come out mad, embarrassed and play with a chip on our shoulders... I don't think we'll wipe the floor with them, however; I can see a 31-24 type win. So, I am going with 4 TD and a FG.... I know... predicting we make a FG.... right???? But, I am sticking to the 31-24 win for us.... I'm bringing GT's future QB with me, or so he says... he's 10... So...meh.... LOL
Coming out with high emotion is playing right into the hands of a team that runs the Paul Johnson Offense (with a few Bohannon wrinkles). If the D plays "with hair on fire" and gets too aggressive, forgets their assignments and over-pursues, the PJO will slice them up.

The other thing about the PJO, it eats up clock, so we may only get half as many possessions. It will be a tall order to score more than 31, especially if the offense keeps shooting itself in the foot.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You have one datapoint to suggest they aren't that good. And some injuries.

I know one of their QBs was tragically murdered in the off-season. Not sure if he was the expected starter.

And the Reinhardt game is a big data point. Having a competitive game against an NAIA school with 1,000 students when you're FCS level is nuts. Plenty of GA high schools would beat them. And I am a Reinhardt alum. They didn't have a team when I was there, though.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I know one of their QBs was tragically murdered in the off-season. Not sure if he was the expected starter.

And the Reinhardt game is a big data point. Having a competitive game against an NAIA school with 1,000 students when you're FCS level is nuts. Plenty of GA high schools would beat them. And I am a Reinhardt alum. They didn't have a team when I was there, though.
If that's the case you'd have to also factor in underperformance for obvious reasons as well like someoen missing from teh lockerroom.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Just a curious question. For those that think we'll blow the doors off KSU... Why? What have you seen to suggest we'll take them to the wood shed? Yes, we have better talent... However; we had better talent against NIU and you see where that got us. Just curious... If you're using the fact they aren't a P5 school, let me remind you about the Citadel. I think we win.... but, not by some huge landslide... and.....I may be wrong... (which I hope I am)....
Because this KSU team would probably be blown out by the Citadel team that beat us. I don't think this game should worry us.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
KSU on 3rd string QB

Even vs. The Citadel our defensive strategy was sound
Unfortunately Lucas was atrocious, we were 3-9 on 3rd down & 8/80 on penalties

I expect us to be able to get whatever we want on offense whether that pounding the rock or stretching them vertically
They did run for 320 and had the ball for >41 minutes. The D was gassed at the end. Can’t let that happen this time around. Being on their 3rd string QB is big though…

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Coming out with high emotion is playing right into the hands of a team that runs the Paul Johnson Offense (with a few Bohannon wrinkles). If the D plays "with hair on fire" and gets too aggressive, forgets their assignments and over-pursues, the PJO will slice them up.

The other thing about the PJO, it eats up clock, so we may only get half as many possessions. It will be a tall order to score more than 31, especially if the offense keeps shooting itself in the foot.
Stop them on first down to force 2nd and long and they won't get to limit our possessions. Score touchdowns early and often will have them chasing the game as someone put it in soccer terms. I refuse to believe that a FCS team on their 3rd string quarterback should be anything more than a bump in the road for a Power 5 team that is competently coached.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On defense, Knight, Carpenter, Swilling, Thomas, Brooks, Chimedza, Jackson (all off the top of my head) will have seen the flex option under CPJ and practiced against it. I'm sure there are others I'm leaving out. There are starters/guys with extensive experience against the flex option on all 3 levels of our defense.

Outside of being miles of levels of pure talent ahead of KSU, there is a lot of experience in our defense that has practiced against this before. On top of that, Thacker has experience coaching against it on a daily basis during his time with Bohannon.

ZERO excuses...absolutely NONE that GT should lose to KSU. The fact that it's being discussed as possible is insane.

GT should roll against KSU and it should not even be close.