Game 2 #KSUvsGT Media

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Well, KSU beat Reinhardt University by 10 at home last week. Reinhardt is a private university in Waleska, GA (yes, Waleska, GA) with about 1300 undergraduates. Amigos, we are probably going to be in some deep s**t this Saturday. šŸ˜³
I wonder if they played backups, if so, how deep did they go in the depth chart?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Reinhardt is also an NAIA school, so not even Division 3.

How I wish we were in a place to complain about not winning our first game against a lower division opponent by more than two scores. Over the last 4 seasons, KSU has a 39-7 record (19-2 in conference).

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you to all who watched the presser so I donā€™t have to, and for reporting back here.

Not surprised to hear that he is spouting the usual BS and not taking responsibility. I wish he were man enough to admit his mistakes. Since he cannot, I wonā€™t be tuning in to any of his media appearances. Waste of time!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I actually feel better about the loss having listened to Thacker and CDP, but man do I think we have a branding problem with CGCā€™s approach to this presser.

Now is not the time to be trite.
I don't feel better about the loss, but I do feel better about things like Sims' performance. CDP talking about things that he did well in the game, and acknowledging that he choked on some important passes is much better than CGC's insistence that he played a great game. CDP said that:
  • Sims hadn't missed a pass in practice and that he was very impressed.
  • Sims is very self critical.
  • Maybe the first return to a big game under the lights caused some jitters.
  • He (CDP) has confidence that Sims just needs to shake it off and perform the way that the team knows that he can.
That I believe was a fair assessment that in no way disparages Sims. It told the fans the issues that the fans could see with their own eyes, but also praised Sims for the good that he had in the game and good that the fans don't have an opportunity to see. It gives me much more confidence in Sims and in CDP than CGC's seeming insistence that the players never do anything that can be remotely criticized.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Do they say ā€œwe got an easy win this week? Did yā€™all watch the NIU game?ā€
No, but it was pretty informative on a high level.

• They are banged up, not necessarily practicing well because they are a bit rusty.
  • Thinks they will be more than motivated to play this week.
  • Talks about familiarity between him and coach Thacher from their time together.
  • Talks about how learned allot from CPJ
  • Also mentioned how his offense is very similar to what CPJ ran but expanded upon it with things like no huddle, running out of the gun at times...
  • Didn't seem overwhelmed
  • Repeatedly said if we play our best, that's good enough. Said games like this are not intimidating since they started the program from the ground up so every game has been a big game.
  • Critical of his players, but thinks if they practice hard, they can play their best game day and it should be enough.

It was refreshing and lacked the hot air we've been hearing from our coach.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
My take is that Collins doesn't take criticism well, and always wants to look at the bright side of things.

I wonder if things got this testy for him at Temple, but it's obvious he hasn't been in this position before.

If you watch pressers from any of the "elite" schools that he wants to aspire to, there is a lot more taking the blame and blunt talk.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
What is worrisome for this week is KSU no huddle combined with prolific rushing, two things that have been really tough to stop here.

Edit: on a positive note, they seem to be struggling a bit with kicking as well.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't feel better about the loss, but I do feel better about things like Sims' performance. CDP talking about things that he did well in the game, and acknowledging that he choked on some important passes is much better than CGC's insistence that he played a great game. CDP said that:
  • Sims hadn't missed a pass in practice and that he was very impressed.
  • Sims is very self critical.
  • Maybe the first return to a big game under the lights caused some jitters.
  • He (CDP) has confidence that Sims just needs to shake it off and perform the way that the team knows that he can.
That I believe was a fair assessment that in no way disparages Sims. It told the fans the issues that the fans could see with their own eyes, but also praised Sims for the good that he had in the game and good that the fans don't have an opportunity to see. It gives me much more confidence in Sims and in CDP than CGC's seeming insistence that the players never do anything that can be remotely criticized.
Yeah good call. The loss still stings, I more meant it in the context of where we are at today.

Thacker gave what I thought was a fairly balanced review of the challenges we had, and without naming names repeated next week - given the offense we face - we will be playing guys that are dependable. It seemed a fairly veiled comment to say potential is nice for a tweet, execution is all that matters though. He repeatedly addressed the expectations have surpassed our execution in week 1, and says he is working to address that. I have faith he understands the challenges ahead and hope we see measured improvement there. Less substitutes and more dudes switched on and playing with focus. He nailed home the message that this is a performance driven enterprise and all that matters is the result. How you got there is nice, but wins need to start stacking up for this squad.

Similarly, CDP gave me a sense he isnā€™t pleased with Sims either, and says he made all those throws in practice. In fairness he only played 1 quarter so may be that he was just a little tight and would have settled in. Iā€™m not sure, but at this point believe if we start ā€œletting go of the ropeā€ with him again that the staff has seen enough from Jordan to have a shorter leash on Sims. I know he is the guy the staff wants for our future, but we need to put some Ws up on the board in the now. Like right now. Lastly, he said in a quick almost throw away that he expects Sims to make those plays Saturday. I think that we will see JS practice this week and the injury wonā€™t hold him back next week (good thing IMHO) the beat man should play, and having healthy bodies to compete only helps us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have posted two other places so forgive the repetition. KSU is the cream puff of all cream puffs on a Tech schedule outside of Cumberland. There is no excuse to not hang 60 on them. The fact that we are even slightly nervous says volumes about where we are as a program.

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
Why is Ken so timid (along w/ others) in asking questions of CGC? He squeemishly uses phrasing like "sort of", "kind of" , "a little bit", "maybe" over and over in his softball questions. Grow a pair and ask this used car salesman direct questions !!!!!