Game 2 #KSUvsGT Media

thenumberonestinger

Georgia Tech Fan

"The [Kennesaw] defensive coordinator was with me when I was the DC at Mississippi State in 2014 when we had the #1 team in the country for 10 weeks."

Um no Geoff. That Mississippi State team was ranked #1 for 5 weeks each concurrently by the AP and Coaches poll. It's not additive. It really bothers me when he embellishes and tries to re-write history all for the sake of self credit and glorifying his resume... Focus on winning games at GT! As I recall that MSU defense didn't fare too well in the Orange Bowl, to the tune of 49 points allowed and 577 yards.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
"The [Kennesaw] defensive coordinator was with me when I was the DC at Mississippi State in 2014 when we had the #1 team in the country for 10 weeks."

Um no Geoff. That Mississippi State team was ranked #1 for 5 weeks each concurrently by the AP and Coaches poll. It's not additive. It really bothers me when he embellishes and tries to re-write history all for the sake of self credit and glorifying his resume... Focus on winning games at GT! As I recall that MSU defense didn't fare too well in the Orange Bowl, to the tune of 49 points allowed and 577 yards.
If that is right, that’s pretty bush league. Would love to get a writer to ask that as a follow up next week. Cmon man !

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Geoff is the king of embellishing, stretching the truth, and twisting facts. You'd think he was a farmer with the amount of cow manure he's selling.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Geoff is the king of embellishing, stretching the truth, and twisting facts. You'd think he was a farmer with the amount of cow manure he's selling.
When he (Geoff) originally took the job here, didn't he also speak about growing up as a GT fan and us being in the "top 10" a lot of those years? Seems I remember something along those lines that was a BIT embellished.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Asking what he would say to fans who don't necessarily have his back like CJP does (b/c he mentioned getting a vote of confidence text from him after the game).
Didnt pastner lose to both Georgia state and mercer to start the year? And won the ACC? I'd take a similar turn around...

Of course for similar events to happen here Clemson, Miami, UnC, VT, Pitt and probably Virginia would need to be disqualified.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

Not really going to defend him, but I think he's saying he had the #1 DEFENSE for 10 weeks. Not that any of that helped in their bowl game that year.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
As I recall that MSU defense didn't fare too well in the Orange Bowl, to the tune of 49 points allowed and 577 yards.

Collins had left Miss State before the football game against us. That arse whoopin' is on someone else.

But the overall point is that Collins points to his <embellished> resume too much in order to deflect from today's issues.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
As a head coach, in a press conference, who are you catering your message to? The press? The fans? Your players? Recruits? Your staff? Your boss/AD? Probably all of the above in some way and the head coach has to walk the tight rope between what he says out in public and what he says behind closed doors to his players/staff.

So I never cared about the words said in press conferences; when the lights are on and the cameras are rolling, you tend to have a "script" in what you say which may not be 100% frank thoughts in your head and they'll always be filtered in one way or another.

The way I see it, we're only really picking apart CGC's press conference now given the results on the field. Maybe CGC could have said something more quotable or poignant and perhaps that would give us fans some level of confidence that CGC "gets it" but if those words do not result in a W, do they matter? I don't really care what he says to me (the fan), I do wonder what he is saying to his players though. Well, not just what he is saying behind closed doors but why he may be saying them.

Speaking of, there are many different leadership styles. As a leader of an organization and when the people you are leading are as young as these college kids are, CGC's style seems like one where he likes to project confidence presumably with the hope that by doing so he can instill confidence in his guys. If this is the case, I can't really nit-pick about that.

For me personally, I listen to these press conferences for the moments where the coaches may unintentionally go off-script. It felt like Coach Johnson had the least amount of filter at these interviews which I know some of our fans didn't like. CPJ always seemed to have this air about him at these things as if he was thinking "why do I need to spend time explaining to this reporter who has never coached before about how I make coaching decisions?" I really enjoyed the nuggets when someone asked how he came to decide on either a play that worked or didn't work and CPJ would go into detail about his decision making instead of just replying back with "I thought it would work."

So here's my quick take. That last 10 seconds of CGC's presser was the nugget. I think he's frustrated as anybody at the L but obviously he's not going to be giving up and there's clearly not much more he can say at these things that will make a difference one way or another.

I do hope, for Georgia Tech's sake, that what he says to his guys behind closed doors can help them get ready for KSU.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
As a head coach, in a press conference, who are you catering your message to? The press? The fans? Your players? Recruits? Your staff? Your boss/AD? Probably all of the above in some way and the head coach has to walk the tight rope between what he says out in public and what he says behind closed doors to his players/staff.

So I never cared about the words said in press conferences; when the lights are on and the cameras are rolling, you tend to have a "script" in what you say which may not be 100% frank thoughts in your head and they'll always be filtered in one way or another.

The way I see it, we're only really picking apart CGC's press conference now given the results on the field. Maybe CGC could have said something more quotable or poignant and perhaps that would give us fans some level of confidence that CGC "gets it" but if those words do not result in a W, do they matter? I don't really care what he says to me (the fan), I do wonder what he is saying to his players though. Well, not just what he is saying behind closed doors but why he may be saying them.

Speaking of, there are many different leadership styles. As a leader of an organization and when the people you are leading are as young as these college kids are, CGC's style seems like one where he likes to project confidence presumably with the hope that by doing so he can instill confidence in his guys. If this is the case, I can't really nit-pick about that.

For me personally, I listen to these press conferences for the moments where the coaches may unintentionally go off-script. It felt like Coach Johnson had the least amount of filter at these interviews which I know some of our fans didn't like. CPJ always seemed to have this air about him at these things as if he was thinking "why do I need to spend time explaining to this reporter who has never coached before about how I make coaching decisions?" I really enjoyed the nuggets when someone asked how he came to decide on either a play that worked or didn't work and CPJ would go into detail about his decision making instead of just replying back with "I thought it would work."

So here's my quick take. That last 10 seconds of CGC's presser was the nugget. I think he's frustrated as anybody at the L but obviously he's not going to be giving up and there's clearly not much more he can say at these things that will make a difference one way or another.

I do hope, for Georgia Tech's sake, that what he says to his guys behind closed doors can help them get ready for KSU.
Well said!

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Carpenter mentioned KSU with allot of wrinkles and formations he didn't see from CPJ's offense. After watching the KSU vs GSU highlights from 2018, I see what he means. They definitely throw more, have gun formations, and have multiple passing options as well. Fun to watch.

On the flip side, I would be extremely surprised if we don't completely overwhelm their defense, just based on talent alone.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
CPJ always seemed to have this air about him at these things as if he was thinking "why do I need to spend time explaining to this reporter who has never coached before about how I make coaching decisions?" I really enjoyed the nuggets when someone asked how he came to decide on either a play that worked or didn't work and CPJ would go into detail about his decision making instead of just replying back with "I thought it would work."
For the record, he was right. Reporters generally don't know what they're talking about. Fans generally don't either.

On this board, almost nobody does.

@Ibeeballin knows how to watch film. @flea77 knows how to watch film. That's probably it. Maybe a couple of others I'm missing. The rest of us are talking out of our asses when we talk scheme and coaching and stuff.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Carpenter mentioned KSU with allot of wrinkles and formations he didn't see from CPJ's offense. After watching the KSU vs GSU highlights from 2018, I see what he means. They definitely throw more, have gun formations, and have multiple passing options as well. Fun to watch.

On the flip side, I would be extremely surprised if we don't completely overwhelm their defense, just based on talent alone.

Monken and Bohannon always had more formation wrinkles

MidtownJacket

Staff member
JP Mason is hilarious and his interview is a bright spot in this week. My guy Travis, Gave him the tip he isn't a RB, I'll get that block back on Kick Return.. He has a bunch of quips that had me laughing.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
For the record, he was right. Reporters generally don't know what they're talking about. Fans generally don't either.

On this board, almost nobody does.

@Ibeeballin knows how to watch film. @flea77 knows how to watch film. That's probably it. Maybe a couple of others I'm missing. The rest of us are talking out of our asses when we talk scheme and coaching and stuff.
Ibeeballin is much better at it than I am :). I understood the OL and some of the D. I enjoy reading Ibeeballinn's post. The bottom line for Sat, Is GT needs to come out fast,not get fancy. Better stuff the line and get penetration, make that QB run a hump. KSU is one dimensional basically. They do not have the speed to stretch the field against GT. On O, run the ball and establish the LOS. Be physical. Get up by 21early and get younger guys some exp. Mercer beat Point 69-0, that will prob be the score when Reinhardt plays Point.Reinhardt has a good mentally tough football team. They get after it w some excellent coaching. Greg Blue ( UGA) is the secondary, and the are head hunters. They practice hard, old school. They are strong and in excellent shape ;). No hands on hips or bending over in practice or games. Basically KSU played the 6th ranked NAIA school in the country, Reinhardt has some Ga players and a QB that are D-1 talent .Reinhardt is not your normal NAIA program. KSU has a good FCS team ( Top 25) but they are not at the physical or depth level of a Mid Mgr. GT should roll.