Votes: 42 25.9%
  • GT by 14+

Votes: 16 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A little over 48 hours until Toe Meets Leather!

Expect a competitive game:
  • It's the White & Gold vs the Garnet & Gold
  • Chris Weinke vs Chris Weinke
  • Two teams who did not make the college football playoff last year

The line opened at FSU by 13.5. Early money sharps have moved the line down to 10.5.

What say you? Poll included.

slugboy

Staff member
I was looking for game previews, and they’re all gambling previews—not much on who to watch or why.

FSU
Is D.J. Uiagaleilei the underachiever from Clemson, or the Oregon State guy who put up numbers? My guess is something in between.
Running Back: Trey Benson was the guy last year. The main replacements are seniors who didn’t beat out Benson.
OL: it’s stout. This is one of our two biggest matchup challenges
TE and WR: they lost talent here, too. Their TE’s aren’t amazing, but are they a matchup issue for us?

DL: they reloaded. Patrick Payton and Marvin Jones Jr are tough, and they have great DTs. Our OL will have their hands full.
LB: DJ Lundy is apparently the guy—third in tackles for them last year. Lots of turnover here
DBs: they’re really good. They were one of the best pass defenses in the country last season. Some turnover, but they brought in good replacements

The critical piece is how does our front six perform against their OL and TEs? Santucci, Pope, and Simpson will need to coach their tails off in this game.

I pulled up last year’s Duke v FSU game to get a taste of what this year’s game could be. Jordan Travis took over that game

I don’t think DJU is Jordan Travis, who would have been a Heisman leader if he hadn’t broken his leg. I also think our offense is better than Duke’s was last season.

I’m gonna say GT 31-FSU 24.

That barely puts my pick into the 7-13 range

CEB

Helluva Engineer
GT 31-FSU 17

My hot take: FSU gets exposed and GT pulls away late in the third quarter. Though we're hype about this victory, the Seminoles disappoint the rest of the way and end the season 8-4 unranked.
I’ve kind of wondered that too. Maybe they caught a little lightning in a bottle last year? Dunno. I think it’ll be closer than that.. maybe 31-27 type of affair.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn’t be surprised if they blew us out, we blew them out, or anything in between. This game is tailor made for having no idea what to expect.

- 13 win team that looked shaky at the end of the season, lost a ton of production, and backfilled with one-year rentals.

- 7 win team that looked really good at the end of the season, returned a lot of production, have established chemistry.

- Week 0 game.

- International game.

- GT defense was terrible but has decent talent and a new DC.

- FSU offense was great but QB and WRs are now major question marks and their OC is suspended.

I think both teams will want to focus on the run. So shorter, lower scoring game. I’ll go 27-17 GT. Because why not.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There's so many question marks on both these teams. My preseason, gold colored glasses, optimism is that we have a chance to be a surprise team this year. I think we have some pieces that could gel into a special team.

Realistic prediction? I think it will be a competitive game. But they have more talent and depth. Norvell just has a more established program, at this stage. I think that disparity tells by the end. FSU wins, but GT keeps it honest. 34-27 FSU

Always love to be wrong!

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I hope I'm wrong

FSU 35-24, we play em well but they pull away in the 4th.
Hope I'm wrong too, but I agree. one score game going into 4thQ but they tack on a late TD and cover the spread.

As I said in another thread earlier this week, I don't like the way this game sets-up for us. If it were a home game on the flats I would probably feel differently ...

IMO, we need to play competitively, then go out and rout GSU and start to build momentum heading into the remainder of the season.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
When I heard CBK say this was "a business trip" and then a few weeks later, Efford reiterated in a post-practice interview that this was a "business trip"; I was fired up. To me, that (at the very least) creates the illusion that there is common language and focus going into this game from the entire team.

Hot Take: We can talk about FSU's chip on their shoulder, Tech's new defensive scheme, DJ U, Offense of Tech, etc. At the end of the day, great players make the difference. I look for King, Haynes, and Singleton to make plays on the offensive side and I look to Efford and potentially Biggers/Yondjouen to make plays. FSU may have more "talent" on paper, but games aren't played on paper.

Tech - 31
FSU - 20

Go Jackets!
THWg

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I just think FSU has too much talent on defense for us to win. GT will win this season by offense putting up 30+ points and I don't think this we will get that much point production on Saturday. I put 7-13 FSU but really feel like it will be more like one touchdown (7 points). If the GT defense is much improved, then GT might sneak out with a lower scoring game. But it is really tough to grade our defense without a couple of games being played to judge the new defensive staff and the transfers.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I voted a close Tech win in the poll because superstition rituals this year are different and counterintuitive.

But my “rational” sense of things is that FSU is the stronger team. Most likely outcome would be a Tech “moral victory” with FSU taking care of business.

I haven’t been this excited for a Tech game in a long time. Part of that is a carry over from last year’s winning season and feeling like I finally have a team I can pull for again without a sense of doom hanging over everything. Add to that the optimism that a new season brings and this feels like solid fun !

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I voted a close Tech win in the poll because superstition rituals this year are different and counterintuitive.

But my “rational” sense of things is that FSU is the stronger team. Most likely outcome would be a Tech “moral victory” with FSU taking care of business.

I haven’t been this excited for a Tech game in a long time. Part of that is a carry over from last year’s winning season and feeling like I finally have a team I can pull for again without a sense of doom hanging over everything. Add to that the optimism that a new season brings and this feels like solid fun !
The factor that will put Tech over the top is a decided advantage at quarterback, IMHO.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My gut tells me FSU by 7-13. We had the worst rushing defense in the country last year. They have a big experienced OL, a stable of talented RBs, and a battering ram QB. While I expect us to improve this year, asking for that kind of improvement in the first game is probably asking too much. They will grind us down in this one but our offense will keep us in it for most of the game.