Ga Tech Placekicking Problems

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Google Rick Ankiel and then come back to the conversation. I think he was a little more talented then Wells (no offense). What happened to him?

I experienced the yips as well. Almost 20 years after I started playing the game and pretty close to the highest level. It happens. Most the time you can’t explain why, I still can’t. It doesn’t mean that Wells doesn’t have the potential to be a good kicker, weve seen that. But if you’ve never experienced the yips, or seen someone first hand with them, it’s hard to explain. Just know it’s true.
You also know that a lot of guys are scratch on the range and then can't break 90 on the course.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You also know that a lot of guys are scratch on the range and then can't break 90 on the course.

I played baseball so we called them 5 o’clock hitters. Put in a show in BP, but couldn’t pick up spin and struggled in games

I don’t think Wells fits that scenario though because he was good in games before. My best guess is he got the yips. Only thing that really makes sense as to why he lost the job in my opinion.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Scratch on the range?! Sorry but doesn’t exist. Just a saying.

as far as kickers—use a Scholly and get someone good>decent because that **** has been SAD af. Or sad AF!

That kick in the 3rd quarter was beyond pathetic. Guy by me said “50% of guys could do just as well” which was funny, sad and unfortunately true.

Deleted member 2897

Kicking XP and FG inside 30 yards are almost impossible to miss, because you’re so close. The only challenge is getting the ball up quick. These guys have 60 yard legs.

That we can’t figure out how to just lean back and get the ball up is just ridiculous. They do it in high school all the time. There really is no excuse. The kickers should be in front of a 10 foot wall kicking all day long. It’s really not hard.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is pure speculation and it is much more likely that Wells simply didn't have it anymore. You telling me Wells' confidence was forever shattered because CGC let another guy take one kick? Good lord.
Yeah, a lot of 20 year olds "don't have it anymore". If he lost confidence, there is a reason, and you are right that it might be unrelated to CGC, but I don't think so. If Wells was an introvert, and I have no idea, I can see him being totally intimidated by this staff, especially its leader. With that said, it is probably best for him to play somewhere else in that regard.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Regardless of the reasons for our 2020 train wreck, there should be no acceptable excuse(s) for not having this fixed in 2021. We should have a serviceable #1 and #2 with the support they need.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am surprised-and maybe there is- a device for kickers like a Trackman for golf. It could measure dispersion, launch angle, swing (leg) speed and ball speed. That device has revolutionized golf and that was straight from our golf coach. I thought it was ball design and modern clubs but he said he thinks it is use of Trackman. There are a lot of similarities between the golf swing and place kicking. Technique and confidence. Solitary practice and changing environment when time to execute. And yes keep your head behind the ball.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I was a kicker before. I know how it works.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Deleted member 2897

Says a non-kicker. 🤣 Let me guess, you watch some YouTube videos. Now to your point, there is more to it than how you set your body. There is the snap, the kickers starting point in relation to the ball. the orientation of the laces, the angle that the ball is held (vertically and horizontally), the location on the ball that your foot hits when it comes through, the angle of the swing of your foot, how stiff your ankle and knee are, and the placement of your plant foot next to the ball to name a few. But if your main problem is just getting the ball up, there are pretty simple ways to fix that.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Says a non-kicker. 🤣 Let me guess, you watch some YouTube videos. Now to your point, there is more to it than how you set your body. There is the snap, the kickers starting point in relation to the ball. the orientation of the laces, the angle that the ball is held (vertically and horizontally), the location on the ball that your foot hits when it comes through, the angle of the swing of your foot, how stiff your ankle and knee are, and the placement of your plant foot next to the ball to name a few. But if your main problem is just getting the ball up, there are pretty simple ways to fix that.
I was a placekicker from 3rd grade through high school, but by all means, continue trying to pretend like you know what you are talking about. I'm sure you'll convince somebody eventually

Deleted member 2897

I was a placekicker from 3rd grade through high school, but by all means, continue trying to pretend like you know what you are talking about. I'm sure you'll convince somebody eventually

We have learned so much from all the helpful information you have provided on this thread.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I was a kicker before. I know how it works.
Plant the planting foot behind the ball is also important to getting the ball up. Look at how kickers kick kick offs vs FG when there's a wall in front of you. To get it up, lean back, plant the foot behind the ball.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The bottom line here is that, apparently, nobody on the coaching staff knows how to coach place kickers. If they did, we wouldn't have the continuing problems we've been having. The legs have been ok, both this year and last. This needs to be fixed.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Forget that! Maybe the golf swing is easier after all!!