GA TECH IS BUZZING! | FOOTBALL HOTBED | NATIONAL UNDERCLASSMEN SHOWCASE ..

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Careful takethepoints, hype does not like level headedness based on experience. I know you know this, but those under 40 are under the spell. If 15-10 at Temple by CGC and staff, which had just been turned around enough to get the coach responsible for the turnaround a bigger job justifies the hype, they are welcome to it. Of course, 7-8 wins next year and 6-7 in 2020 will justify said hype, especially if recruiting results surge without APR probs in 2021/2022. I so hope for this to be true. Product>>>Marketing in EVERY instance.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This excitement is amazing. At this point I will like everyone is onboard with the 404movement! However, as a Tech fan there is always some doubt. I will say this: My doubt will be 100% gone if CGC is able to sign some 4* DL. I still believe that will be the real challenge for GT Football.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think the staff can overcome, in recruiting, even a disappointing 2019. The first class for the staff will probably disregard any negative conceptions of prior success or lack thereof and focus on what they believe they will do in the future. Two disappointing seasons out of the gate could be the beginning of the end.

Losing Braun hurts the O badly. But someone or maybe a few guys might step up to fill the void. QB play matters the most for how our O will go.

I think last years scheme changes will actually pay off for the new staff as early as this year. And our coaching on D looks better than enything we have had since Tenuta. Could possibly even surpass Tenuta’s staff. If we can find a pass rusher and a couple of stout athletic linebackers we could shock people on D and maybe win more games than anyone outside the program suspects. Pass rush and LB play are huge question marks however.

If we can exceed expectations the first two years...things could get very exciting.

Nothing of substance has been accomplished yet. Time will tell.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are right. However, successful marketing depends on a successful product. If we do better then expected next year - see above for my reasons why I don't anticipate that - then the odds for your rosy scenario go up. If not …

A good season would be a great bonus, but the product we are selling is more than our record. Plenty of teams pull in great recruiting classes in bad years. The fact is recruiters know how to recruit and we've got recruiters now. I will fry up a crow and eat if if we don't pull a top 25 class next year.

I am not gonna be argumentative with the wait and see crowd, though. The hype train has left the station, but we will be happy to send another when ya'll are ready. All are welcome.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I am sick of people looking into a mystical crystal ball and projecting success. I think the new staff has brought a new energy to GT. I truly hope we have success with the new staff and their ability to recruit and coach. I hope it results in wins on the field. But... at this point, 3 months in, it is just hope.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am sick of people looking into a mystical crystal ball and projecting success. I think the new staff has brought a new energy to GT. I truly hope we have success with the new staff and their ability to recruit and coach. I hope it results in wins on the field. But... at this point, 3 months in, it is just hope.

Yeah, I'm very encouraged by what I've seen so far. Lots of spunk. Recruiting has already ticked upward. Fan interest has been rekindled. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out. The transition year augurs to have surprises and disappointments. But so far, so good.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What else could it be at this point besides hope? What would you prefer people see in the crystal ball if not success?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing with branding in this age of information. You are who your clients say you are, not who you tell your clients you are. If recruits think we are a hot ticket, we are. Not sure why we're even talking about on-field results or expectations a month into this regime. Focusing on on-field expectations before fixing the root cause(s) holding our program back doesn't even make sense at this stage.

Animal02

Banned
Here's the thing with branding in this age of information. You are who your clients say you are, not who you tell your clients you are. If recruits think we are a hot ticket, we are. Not sure why we're even talking about on-field results or expectations a month into this regime. Focusing on on-field expectations before fixing the root cause(s) holding our program back doesn't even make sense at this stage.
Because without results, all the hype and big talk will look foolish and cause far more lasting damage.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we win 6 - and I'm hoping we do - then I don't really expect any major change in our recruiting success. We'll probably do slightly better just because of the time Coach and his staff will have had to settle in. If we win 8 - and I'd be shocked if that happened - then we might do even better. Oth, we might do about the same, regardless of results and hype. I'm sure Coach is doing all this publicity stuff in anticipation of it leading to recruiting success. If he does his job on the field next year it very well might. The simple answer is that we don't know.

I don't think our 2020 recruiting class is contingent upon our record in 2019. If anything, I bet CGC will use 2019 as a "showcase" year for recruiting. What I mean is, he will showcase where he wants to offense and defense to go and tell kids "This is why GT needs you, athletes like YOU will make our offense/defense unstoppable, and you will be a star among stars in Atlanta and college football!"

I think he has every intention of winning, but I think CGC is playing the long game (hence 7 yr contract) in terms of showcasing where he wants the program to go and how he's going to attract elite talent. He's definitely getting their attention before he's coached a down.

Animal02

Banned
Reminds me of when Pastner was hired.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Because without results, all the hype and big talk will look foolish and cause far more lasting damage.

The idea is: to get better results, we need better talent. To get better talent, we need to change the perception of the program in the minds of recruits. That is what all of the hype is for. It is a means to an end and an integral part of the strategy.

If it didn't pan out, we would be in no worse place than we were before.

Animal02

Banned
The idea is: to get better results, we need better talent. To get better talent, we need to change the perception of the program in the minds of recruits. That is what all of the hype is for. It is a means to an end and an integral part of the strategy.

If it didn't pan out, we would be in no worse place than we were before.
No, it will be worse.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No, it will be worse.

The perception of our program was pretty low among high end recruits. As someone who genuinely was a fan of CPJ, I didn't want to believe that for a long time, but it's true. There is really nowhere to go but up. Your worries are misplaced anyway. Big things are already happening on that front.

If you wanna wait for on field wins to get excited, that is cool. We will be waiting for ya.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
No, it will be worse.
There was very little from the last two years to point to and say "our program is about to turn the corner". Maybe we were headed for another Orange Bowl. But more than likely we were going to struggle for 7 wins.

With Collins, we are still going to struggle with 7 wins. I don't see the difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A good season would be a great bonus, but the product we are selling is more than our record. Plenty of teams pull in great recruiting classes in bad years. The fact is recruiters know how to recruit and we've got recruiters now. I will fry up a crow and eat if if we don't pull a top 25 class next year.

I am not gonna be argumentative with the wait and see crowd, though. The hype train has left the station, but we will be happy to send another when ya'll are ready. All are welcome.
“Fry up a crow” is not needed. Just be respectful of views that don’t agree with you