GA TECH IS BUZZING! | FOOTBALL HOTBED | NATIONAL UNDERCLASSMEN SHOWCASE ..

eastpoint

Georgia Tech Fan
I am sick of people looking into a mystical crystal ball and projecting success. I think the new staff has brought a new energy to GT. I truly hope we have success with the new staff and their ability to recruit and coach. I hope it results in wins on the field. But... at this point, 3 months in, it is just hope.
While it seems like they have been working 3 months, Collins was hired 8 weeks and 1 day ago. Most of the rest of the staff was hired less than 4-5 weeks ago. This makes the job they have done all the more impressive.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am sick of people looking into a mystical crystal ball and projecting success. I think the new staff has brought a new energy to GT. I truly hope we have success with the new staff and their ability to recruit and coach. I hope it results in wins on the field. But... at this point, 3 months in, it is just hope.
Look, I am not a big fan of the hype train, whether in business, politics or college sports. I've seen that approach crash and burn countless times.

However, Dabo proved at Clemson that hype can work. As they say in AA, "fake it till you make it." So, I'm not sick of those projecting success. I will wait and see, of course, but I wouldn't mind at all if the hope peddlers create a self fulfilling prophecy.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Why waste our time, energy and money on hope. 52.5% vs P5 is all we should expect.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
While it seems like they have been working 3 months, Collins was hired 8 weeks and 1 day ago. Most of the rest of the staff was hired less than 4-5 weeks ago. This makes the job they have done all the more impressive.
You are probably right. I was too lazy to look it up. The new staff is working really hard to turn the page on the previous staff and change the message. With more funding and more coaches, they have a chance for better recruiting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You are probably right. I was too lazy to look it up. The new staff is working really hard to turn the page on the previous staff and change the message. With more funding and more coaches, they have a chance for better recruiting.
Hooray for more staff and funding! Previously we were showing up at a gun fight with a casserole dish.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I think some people are struggling to see the positives of building excitement. The hype is properly serving its purpose and is bringing the intended results. Those results being mass increases in fan support through surging season ticket purchases and the renewed interest in our program from recruits. Jamious Griffin, Marquez Ezzard, Javier Morton, Josh Downs, etc. are all 4* players that have expressed new interest in the program since CGC's arrival. Several recruits have stressed the importance of playing for their city of Atlanta (Baker, Bryant-Strother, Downs), which is a direct selling point of Collins and his staff. I think it's alright for people to be reserved and feel cautiously optimistic about the future, but it's harmful to discourage others about being legitimately excited. It hurts to perception of the program. We're in the offseason. The offseason is where hype and excitement is built, what else are we supposed to do? It's a game, have fun.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I think some people are struggling to see the positives of building excitement. The hype is properly serving its purpose and is bringing the intended results. Those results being mass increases in fan support through surging season ticket purchases and the renewed interest in our program from recruits. Jamious Griffin, Marquez Ezzard, Javier Morton, Josh Downs, etc. are all 4* players that have expressed new interest in the program since CGC's arrival. Several recruits have stressed the importance of playing for their city of Atlanta (Baker, Bryant-Strother, Downs), which is a direct selling point of Collins and his staff. I think it's alright for people to be reserved and feel cautiously optimistic about the future, but it's harmful to discourage others about being legitimately excited. It hurts to perception of the program. We're in the offseason. The offseason is where hype and excitement is built, what else are we supposed to do? It's a game, have fun.
Well said.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Excellent post. I can understand those who don’t feel the excitement but can’t for the life of me understand trying to reign in those that do.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Agree totally.

After thinking about it, I think that a contingent of our fans really identified with the old-school, no frills, service academy-like approach to college football. (Not saying that in an insulting way. That approach had its merits for a time). To them, this new energy and approach just doesn't "feel" like Tech. I think that may be where some of the negative attitudes come from, but I don't want to speak for anyone, just a theory.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't recall much hype for Pastner. I think most were initially disappointed in that hire, but talked themselves into cautious optimism, at best.

I think the hype more-so started after he led his first team (that was expected to be a dumpster fire) to upsets over three ranked teams and the NIT finals. Then the wheels fell off with the [non]scandal and the very uneven play last year and so far this year.

I think the cloud of uncertainty around the "scandal" hurt his program momentum a ton. Too easy to negative recruit against a coach when you can point to [erroneous] reports of misconduct and say he's about to be fired. Hopefully he can put that behind him and get back on track. He's a gifted game coach, but he needs the Jimmies and Joes.

I actually think the Football hype will help Pastner a lot. The Tech brand was not very cool these last several years. The outside perception of; Russell, an "outdated football offense", hard academics, mediocre fanbase... was pretty unappealing to a lot of athletes. I think with TStan, CGC, Adidas, Pastner (and Waffle House;)). The perception of what GT athletics is will be changing for the better.