Ga State

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ben S starting tonight against Ga State. Need a win. I know it seems trivial... but any smidgen of confidence (i.e. winning streak.. or better said, a "good all-around play" streak) heading into a road series in Blacksburg where we NEED to win, win, & win again.... is important.

Unrelated to this game... but I was watching (really it was just on... I wasn't paying much attention) the Nationals broadcast last night. They are in Atlanta playing the Braves. My attention was caught when I thought I heard the Tech Fight Song being played on the organ in house at SunTrust Park. Sure enough... it was Matt Wieters (current National) headed to the plate for his 1st AB. NICE touch, Braves!!!!

I caught that as well. And was also impressed. Mentioned it to my better half, who liked ti also.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well game is getting ready to go. Johnson is back at 1st. The experimentation continues.

Ga State has a 217 RPI. Only worse RPI team we played this year was Youngstown State and went 2-1 against them.

On the pre-game Hall was talking about the Blacksburg weather this weekend. A lot of rain expected.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Was in training all afternoon and missed this one. Great to see a shut out (and 7 runs of offense isn't slouching either). I'm really hoping the team can use these two games to start getting hot.
Was 0-0 until T7 when Bart hit a grand slam. The no walks is music to my ears!! I do think Schneiderjans did hit one batter though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

THWG

Helluva Engineer
RPI is 51, up 9 since 16 April. I think it was lower after the Mercer win. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Georgia-Tech

I think we need to get to ~500 in the ACC by the end of the tourney to get a bid. But that's a separate subject.
I feel like we need to get to 10 games over .500. That would mean that this team goes from 16-18 (18-18 after the two midweek games) to 32-22 then we probably need to win a game or two in the ACC tourney tourney remain 10 games over. That is going to be very tough, but we have the talent to do it IMO.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Pleasantly surprised that we went up; Ga State only went down by 1. Interesting that Mercer is 31, they only went down by 1 this week. I think that this schedule, even with the losses has helped more than it has hurt. If we could have taken advantage of some of the opportunities earlier, we really could have moved up significantly.

Appreciate that the coaches are willing to shake things up each game. I am sure it's not sitting well with some but honestly, they have to be flexible right now.

Appreciate with the win last night that our bats were not as effective as we would have wanted them to be. Had it not have been for Joey in the top of the 7th it may have been different. That first pitcher with Ga St was very good, he has a nice curve ball and keep us on our toes.

Got to take 2 out of 3 this weekend but things with the weather are working against us. Hope we can get all 3 in and the team has their heads in the right place.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Why no Murray last night? He has been one of our better hitters recently. Innis, and the other Curry shared LF.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the optimism in even thinking about the NCAA bid at this stage of things (and respect it). I just cannot bring myself to share in it. Our pitching is simply too dreadful and we do not deserve a bid this year.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Why no Murray last night? He has been one of our better hitters recently. Innis, and the other Curry shared LF.
I think you mean the other Wilhite in left field?

Not sure why Murray sat last night but I think it goes to trying different things and shaking it up. Don't think it was an issue with him but just a chance to get some other looks and perhaps perspective from the dugout.

As for pitching, I had heard that Thomas will be available after finals and that gives us a hard throwing lefty. Would be nice to finally have a couple of lefties in the pitching ranks that can consistently start. I would move Curry to Saturday and start Shaddy on Friday then try Thomas on Sunday. But who am I? Nothing wrong with starting 3 freshmen. But I think that Ben S. or Jake will compete for Sunday and they will try Thomas out in the mid-week to see how that goes.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the optimism in even thinking about the NCAA bid at this stage of things (and respect it). I just cannot bring myself to share in it. Our pitching is simply too dreadful and we do not deserve a bid this year.
I'm not expecting one, but I like to be optimistic, especially with a lot of games left. This team has the talent to get hot and reel off some wins though (again, not expecting it, just being hopeful).

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I think you mean the other Wilhite in left field?

Not sure why Murray sat last night but I think it goes to trying different things and shaking it up. Don't think it was an issue with him but just a chance to get some other looks and perhaps perspective from the dugout.

As for pitching, I had heard that Thomas will be available after finals and that gives us a hard throwing lefty. Would be nice to finally have a couple of lefties in the pitching ranks that can consistently start. I would move Curry to Saturday and start Shaddy on Friday then try Thomas on Sunday. But who am I? Nothing wrong with starting 3 freshmen. But I think that Ben S. or Jake will compete for Sunday and they will try Thomas out in the mid-week to see how that goes.
I did mean Wilhite in left field. I was thinking about Thomas this morning, I hope hecan get the job done. We also have a lefty signed to come in this Fall. He is Brant Hurter from Canton, Ga. and he is 6ft 6in, 230 lbs.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I did mean Wilhite in left field. I was thinking about Thomas this morning, I hope hecan get the job done. We also have a lefty signed to come in this Fall. He is Brant Hurter from Canton, Ga. and he is 6ft 6in, 230 lbs.
Joseph Manelly is also another lefty we have signed. He is listed as a first baseman, but has been clocked in the low to mid 90s off the mound.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
I understand that Manelly is a better first baseman; good stuff but may struggle at times to locate. But with maturity, he might be able to come in and make it happen.

The other lefty is exciting. Not a lot of pitching next year so hoping that the pitchers in this 2016 class can figure it all out. Summer ball will really help a few of them get better and be ready to come back with fresh eyes/arms. There is still a lot of baseball left and I think that we will see a big improvement. I am predicting a big improvement in pitching.

The one thing to keep in mind is these boys don't want to lose any more than we want them to lose. They are all working as hard as they can and want to do the best they can. Again, keeping a glass half full perspective!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........ Summer ball will really help a few of them get better and be ready to come back with fresh eyes/arms. There is still a lot of baseball left and I think that we will see a big improvement. I am predicting a big improvement in pitching.

The one thing to keep in mind is these boys don't want to lose any more than we want them to lose. They are all working as hard as they can and want to do the best they can. Again, keeping a glass half full perspective!

I seems we had a lot fewer players in summer ball last year than the year before. Especially the premier Cape Cod league. Any idea why or why it would be different this summer? http://www.beesball.com/summer2016.html http://www.beesball.com/summer2015.html

I don't doubt that the players are working as hard as they can. We are fortunate that when it becomes painful to watch the games we can tune out. On WREK, Wiley said that there had been a pitchers only meeting where they took accountability for not pitching well. Of course they know that better than we do. As I told my brother today, the only strikes we were getting for a while were HBP.