Ga State

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At least baseball isn't like football where you have to wait a week for the next game.

Ga State is 4-2 and by the (very early) RPI @34 http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Georgia-State , the best team we have faced. The RPI is largely from taking one of three @ Jacksonville. Like I said, very early (Ga State is the "best" RPI team we face this year). They give up some runs .... 4 1/2 a game .... and have scored 5 1/3 a game.

We should have Parr starting? An interesting thing about this week is two mid week games (next is Kennesaw State) and three this weekend. So we should see a lot of GT pitchers over the next week.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
How CDH decides to use King will be interesting. Based on other posts, we've been told he's on a pitch count (50) & will not start.

I'm not sure why you'd commit to only relief; but regardless, I wonder how those restrictions will be handled. Through 6 games (all blowouts) & 2 weekends, he's made one appearance.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see Parr move to the weekend rotation and Gibson move to being the week day starter, but after this week. Gibson is going to be a good pitcher for us, but he's not quite there yet.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
How CDH decides to use King will be interesting. Based on other posts, we've been told he's on a pitch count (50) & will not start.

I'm not sure why you'd commit to only relief; but regardless, I wonder how those restrictions will be handled. Through 6 games (all blowouts) & 2 weekends, he's made one appearance.
And it was very disappointing, like 2/3 of an inning.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I would like to see Parr move to the weekend rotation and Gibson move to being the week day starter, but after this week. Gibson is going to be a good pitcher for us, but he's not quite there yet.
"Not quite" is very kind.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Comfortably ahead 10-2 in the sixth. Datoc pitched well after a disappointing effort from Parr. I'd love to see guys like King and Gooden since we are so far ahead

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, Archer looks promising to me. King looks very rusty indeed. I am no expert but one has to begin to wonder whether he will ever "get back" to his former effectiveness.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Well, Archer looks promising to me. King looks very rusty indeed. I am no expert but one has to begin to wonder whether he will ever "get back" to his former effectiveness.
He's only had two appearances. He probably just needs a couple more to knock the rust off, but I wouldn't expect him to fully return to form until later in the year, maybe ACC tourney time.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, there were some bright spots in pitching ..... Datoc and Archer. Parr was ok and King was erratic.

I listened to most of the first three innings and Parr threw 58% (64-37) strikes. He only gave up two hits, but they were both HRs. He had 4 SO and 3 walks. Not bad.

Datoc was slightly better at 62% strikes BUT he had 6 SO, only 1 walk and NO hits in three innings. Definitely better than before.

Archer had the best performance of the day by some measures ..... 88% strikes (24-21). But he gave up two hits in two innings with one being a HR. He also had 2 SOs. I think Archer may be a good surprise.

King was put in a position where he only needed to get outs with a massive lead in the ninth. Two quick outs, hit batter and HR. He got the last out but had a poor strike percentage at 58% in coming in only needed to get the ball in play and end the game.

Oh yeah, murder's row continued to murder with 13 hits and 12 runs. GSU had 4 errors which helped the runs; but not the hits. 13 hits is pretty good.

Defense solid AGAIN with no errors. And some nice infield plays. I missed probably half the game working, but the half I watched was pretty tight on D.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Had four straight hours of meetings at work and couldn't listen in to this one. Sounds like the bats were alive. Hopefully the pitching keeps improving/stabilizing as the season goes.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, there were some bright spots in pitching ..... Datoc and Archer. Parr was ok and King was erratic.

I listened to most of the first three innings and Parr threw 58% (64-37) strikes. He only gave up two hits, but they were both HRs. He had 4 SO and 3 walks. Not bad.

Datoc was slightly better at 62% strikes BUT he had 6 SO, only 1 walk and NO hits in three innings. Definitely better than before.

Archer had the best performance of the day by some measures ..... 88% strikes (24-21). But he gave up two hits in two innings with one being a HR. He also had 2 SOs. I think Archer may be a good surprise.

King was put in a position where he only needed to get outs with a massive lead in the ninth. Two quick outs, hit batter and HR. He got the last out but had a poor strike percentage at 58% in coming in only needed to get the ball in play and end the game.

Oh yeah, murder's row continued to murder with 13 hits and 12 runs. GSU had 4 errors which helped the runs; but not the hits. 13 hits is pretty good.

Defense solid AGAIN with no errors. And some nice infield plays. I missed probably half the game working, but the half I watched was pretty tight on D.
Your assessment on King is significant because (as you state)... the situation is one where you simply want to throw strikes, risk the downside, and just get ball in play allowing the percentages and the defense to work to your advantage.

Your 'positives' are all good. I'd like to order up more of that!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ben S starting tonight against Ga State. Need a win. I know it seems trivial... but any smidgen of confidence (i.e. winning streak.. or better said, a "good all-around play" streak) heading into a road series in Blacksburg where we NEED to win, win, & win again.... is important.

Unrelated to this game... but I was watching (really it was just on... I wasn't paying much attention) the Nationals broadcast last night. They are in Atlanta playing the Braves. My attention was caught when I thought I heard the Tech Fight Song being played on the organ in house at SunTrust Park. Sure enough... it was Matt Wieters (current National) headed to the plate for his 1st AB. NICE touch, Braves!!!!