Future Uniform Rumor

url

ShowImage.ashx

A diagram of the shoulder for your reference. In case you didn't realize what area the term shoulder covers.
The implication there is that the shoulder covers half the body. And we know that is not the case.

Not true. The white on the cloth to the left as well as the adidas stripes give you a reference. Monitor calibration is specific to the room you are in. It measures the ambient light around you and ensures the color produced by the monitor is true to the image. There is a scientific basis for both.
I have worked with thousands of photos from my various overseas trips, and I know full well, any adjustments I do using computer settings may make the photos look closer to what I remember, and in some cases even better, but it's still totally arbitrary.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
The implication there is that the shoulder covers half the body. And we know that is not the case.
No the implication is that the shoulder is a spherical joint and is not just the top of your clavicle.

Deffinition: "The shoulder is one of the largest and most complex joints in the body. The shoulder joint is formed where the humerus (upper arm bone) fits into the scapula (shoulder blade), like a ball and socket."

It literally tells you that the upper arm makes up part of the shoulder.

No the implication is that the shoulder is a spherical joint and is not just the top of your clavicle.

Deffinition: "The shoulder is one of the largest and most complex joints in the body. The shoulder joint is formed where the humerus (upper arm bone) fits into the scapula (shoulder blade), like a ball and socket."

It literally tells you that the upper arm makes up part of the shoulder.
The thing is, we are talking about the sleeve (even if only a partial one) on a jersey, and not the human anatomy. When I see or buy a shirt of any kind, I consider any part of it that extends beneath the anatomical shoulder to be a sleeve, and that's where the mesh (or whatever it is) in the photo is located....on the sleeve.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have worked with thousands of photos from my various overseas trips, and I know full well, any adjustments I do using computer settings may make the photos look closer to what I remember, and in some cases even better, but it's still totally arbitrary.

I used to shoot weddings. I can show you pictures of the same bridesmaid in the same purple dress that appears three different colors depending on where the photo was taken. In one it appears lavender, in another it's almost black, and in one it's the royal purple it was intended to be. (Side note, photography in Sacred Heart in Augusta is challenging because there is a mixture of fluorescent, incandescent, sunlight filtered through stained glass, and often candlelight) Unless you white balance, you will not get uniform colors.

As to your travel pictures, most cameras do an automatic WB, and most monitors are fairly close in portraying the intended color. What gave this picture away was the color of the walls and tile which screams unbalanced WB under fluorescent lighting. Also, the stainless steel shelf in the back actually looks stainless after the color correction. Same with the shade of gold on the number. Notice it looks more in line with our current gold numbering?

This is not arbitrary, there is actually good science behind it, and professional photographers have learned to use it well to keep their photos consistent during the editing process..

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The thing is, we are talking about the sleeve (even if only a partial one) on a jersey, and not the human anatomy. When I see or buy a shirt of any kind, I consider any part of it that extends beneath the anatomical shoulder to be a sleeve, and that's where the mesh (or whatever it is) in the photo is located....on the sleeve.

Fair point, but you are in the minority on this one.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what color it is and really don't care it's not white or gold which it should be but that is not my call. If someone said there were and it was grey so be it. But the fact is on my compute that picture is navy blue. So what does all this mean I'm out of beer and that is all I care about now.