Future Opponents: Bama and Ga State

Sidewalking

Banned
We'll never play the Alabama games. They'll come up with a reason to back out. If we do play, it'll be one of the MBS games. As for home/home with Georgia State, we don't have to pay them to come play us, and we don't have to travel to play them. It fills a need in our schedule and doesn't cost us any money. That's an easy one to me.

Bama will play Tech now that the option is gone. I'll be surprised if the game is at BDS rather than the benz.

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan
No one in their right mind would schedule 12 P5 games, especially with at least 2-3 CFP contenders on it...

I actually think ND may have never played any team that wasn’t an FBS level team, at least at the time they played them. I may be wrong about that but I don’t think so. But even they only scheduled 9 P5 teams last year I think.

It would be good if all P5 teams only played other P5 teams, but unless they are all forced to, seems unlikely someone would opt to.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I actually think ND may have never played any team that wasn’t an FBS level team, at least at the time they played them. I may be wrong about that but I don’t think so. But even they only scheduled 9 P5 teams last year I think.

It would be good if all P5 teams only played other P5 teams, but unless they are all forced to, seems unlikely someone would opt to.
I agree. I also think conferences are an outdated system of scheduling games, at least for modern day college football. Having a playoff system is great, but when the participants are chosen solely off subjective opinions, it makes conference games and conference championships obsolete. Every other playoff system in the world of sports is based on objective results, not subjective biases. I hate 14+ team conferences, I think they should all be 8-12 teams. It’s insane to go 5 years without playing a team in your own conference. How can you objectively compare schedules and rankings when there are so few common opponents between P5 teams? I think every P5 team should have to play 10 P5 games (including independents like ND, BYU, Army).

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
For those wondering, I obtained a copy of the GT-Bama contract and it does not specify the exact location of the game in the contract. So if this series is contingent on the game being played at MBS, well there must be some agreement outside of the actual contract.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That was the same problem as the '20/'21 contract. Alabama was insisting the Home/Home be Tuscaloosa/MBS, not Tuscaloosa/GF@BDS. We actually were the ones that backed out of the contract, but that's because Alabama wouldn't come on campus.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
That was the same problem as the '20/'21 contract. Alabama was insisting the Home/Home be Tuscaloosa/MBS, not Tuscaloosa/GF@BDS. We actually were the ones that backed out of the contract, but that's because Alabama wouldn't come on campus.

Doesn't make much sense. Bama plays Duke at Durham. If we play Bama at MBS it's because we decided we wanted it that way. Same as ND and Clemson. If Bama felt they had that kind of leverage to *demand* a specific venue, they would have been the ones to back out of the contract wouldn't they?

Edit: I just now realized that Durham game was in 2010... ancient times. Bama just doesn't go on the road to play anyone...outside of SEC and kickoff games. Basically they want a kickoff game and a free trip from us back to their place.

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

MBS wasn't even thought of when we signed the contract for that series.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck

Yeah this makes no sense to me. If they were refusing to play, why would be the ones that backed out? We would have just let them either play at BDS or they could back out and pay us cash.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah this makes no sense to me. If they were refusing to play, why would be the ones that backed out? We would have just let them either play at BDS or they could back out and pay us cash.
I didn't read the contract. I don't know why we were the ones backing out of the game. But, that's the way it was reported. They not only wanted the Georgia Dome, but if I remember correctly, they were looking for part of the gate. My understanding is we told them we wouldn't play under those conditions, thus we backed out.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No doubt they remember what Tech - Bammer games were like in the heyday of the rivalry. I know people who went to the 1963 game that Tech won 7 - 6. They said the whole stadium was at a level of rage they have never seen before or since. The Bammer players kept their helmets on when they came off the field to protect themselves from the flying bottles and other debris.

Now that was a long time ago and, perhaps, tempers have cooled since. If we played them at Grant Field, however, I'd be trying to smuggle in a bottle or two. I'd be aiming for Saban too.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
No doubt they remember what Tech - Bammer games were like in the heyday of the rivalry. I know people who went to the 1963 game that Tech won 7 - 6. They said the whole stadium was at a level of rage they have never seen before or since. The Bammer players kept their helmets on when they came off the field to protect themselves from the flying bottles and other debris.

Now that was a long time ago and, perhaps, tempers have cooled since. If we played them at Grant Field, however, I'd be trying to smuggle in a bottle or two. I'd be aiming for Saban too.

Course you know we have played them at Grant Field since then with no sportsmanship problems at any time. Nor did I experience any problems when we were at Legion Field in 80 or 81.

TechPreacher

Banned
I agree. I also think conferences are an outdated system of scheduling games, at least for modern day college football. Having a playoff system is great, but when the participants are chosen solely off subjective opinions, it makes conference games and conference championships obsolete. Every other playoff system in the world of sports is based on objective results, not subjective biases. I hate 14+ team conferences, I think they should all be 8-12 teams. It’s insane to go 5 years without playing a team in your own conference. How can you objectively compare schedules and rankings when there are so few common opponents between P5 teams? I think every P5 team should have to play 10 P5 games (including independents like ND, BYU, Army).

I want four 20-team super conferences, with two divisions each. Play your 9 division games. No cross-divisionals. Other 3 games can be whatever. Only division records count. Conference championships become the first round of an 8-team playoff. CFP committee? "You're fired!"