FTRS With a good interview of Brandon Gaudin

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think he has a tacit control over the show at best. I have no doubt there are some basic parameters that are set in place. And, there is at least a meager effort to screen callers. Wes Durham was formative for Brandon as he passed the torch not only on game broadcasts but on working with Paul in general. So there is a culture that is set in place, and Paul is a part of shaping that culture.

I believe to Skeptic's general point--there's not a coach's show in America (probably) where the basic idea isn't to make it as favorable and fan-friendly as possible. Above all, the school and team are supposed to come out (on balance) looking good. Of course. What idiots wouldn't see to it that this was the case? No major D-1 football call-in show is set up to be a wide open media scrum, nor a place where "enemies" (you like what I did there?) get free shots with their agenda.

However, if you listen on a regular basis and particularly if you are in the room on a regular basis-- you know that it's not all softballs teed up for CPJ to swing at. Troll calls slip through, a few honest/real questions get asked every week. Things that challenge him to respond to will be there every week. And, especially in Brandon's first season his learning-curve on GT football caused him to bring some questions that Paul didn't always care for. You'll see the tension in the room when he gets a question that he doesn't care for. Then, it's up to him as to how he responds. Some of them he responds to with more vulnerability, some with less patience. Sometimes he comes off a winner on those, sometimes he can make himself look a little less good.

But, it's not an hour that is as carefully controlled as some might think.
This is a long thread so someone may have already mentioned this but I would be surprised if CPJ isn't pretty much required to do a show like this. It may not be explicitly in his contract but, unless things have changed in college ball that I do not know about, an expected part of a coaches weekly schedule at big time programs is to be in front of the public making the school look good. I can't fathom a coach lasting long at any university if he didn't agree to do this. So calling it his program and assuming that he should just enjoy this does not make sense to me. It is part of his job.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
+1 on this post. However y'all sat during the show before the Uga game and the Orange Bowl, that is how it must be going forward. Why make CPJ's job any harder than it already is? Let him break in the new skill position players, you clowns who are lucky enough to get to attend these things need to deal with maintaining the karma.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. Usually, I go to the show straight from work, so I'm wearing work clothes, not team colors. One time, though, I was off work on the day of the show, so I wore gold...and we lost to Duke the following weekend. I will not ever wear gold to the show, ever again...

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
This is a long thread so someone may have already mentioned this but I would be surprised if CPJ isn't pretty much required to do a show like this. It may not be explicitly in his contract but, unless things have changed in college ball that I do not know about, an expected part of a coaches weekly schedule at big time programs is to be in front of the public making the school look good. I can't fathom a coach lasting long at any university if he didn't agree to do this. So calling it his program and assuming that he should just enjoy this does not make sense to me. It is part of his job.

But if you've ever gone to the show, I think you'd get the sense that of all CPJ's media responsibilities, the radio show is one of his favorites--he really seems to enjoy the atmosphere (and the opportunity to poke Brandon in the proverbial eye...)

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
But if you've ever gone to the show, I think you'd get the sense that of all CPJ's media responsibilities, the radio show is one of his favorites--he really seems to enjoy the atmosphere (and the opportunity to poke Brandon in the proverbial eye...)
I think that's probably fair.

Buzz4President

Georgia Tech Fan
We could maybe pull two tables together...that might no upset the gods of football karma...

Ummmm, thats our table next to you that you are talking about, GTpdm! We will have 4 there most nights. We would love to meet Boomergump though! We love your thoughtful analysis of each game! We have already met DrJacket and MrsDrJacket in line for the signing day broadcast. She and I were the only two women there!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Great interview! Is it disrespectful to say that I think Brandon has more than adequately replaced Wes?

I think that Wes would be very happy to know that Brandon is doing so well as his successor. From talking to Wes's wife at the show, I get the impression that he still holds Tech in very high regard, and I'll bet he feels better knowing that someone like Brandon has taken over as "the voice of the Jackets".

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Ummmm, thats our table next to you that you are talking about, GTpdm! We will have 4 there most nights. We would love to meet Boomergump though! We love your thoughtful analysis of each game! We have already met DrJacket and MrsDrJacket in line for the signing day broadcast. She and I were the only two women there!

I was actually thinking about the table on the other side actually; I know not to encroach on y'all s turf....:)

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hey there, Buzz4President! We enjoyed meeting you, and look forward to seeing you all in just a few days.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
A connection? UH-OH. Having met the charming lady myself AND knowing (thru CPJ himself) about BG's trouble securing some dates, you may want to step up your game a little.
@MrsDrJacket just reminded me that she actually waited for a bit because Brandon was talking with M-Bob when we first spotted him. She could have gone over and muscled M-Bob out of the way, I suppose, which would have been okay with me. But she thought better of it.

MrsDrJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
@MrsDrJacket just reminded me that she actually waited for a bit because Brandon was talking with M-Bob when we first spotted him. She could have gone over and muscled M-Bob out of the way, I suppose, which would have been okay with me. But she thought better of it.
@DrJacket - you always tell me that shoving is not polite. I was trying to be on my best behavior - for once! :p

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure. I was just doubling down on the point that he likes doing this not because it is his show but because it happens to a part of his job that he actually enjoys.