FSU Series

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thought I'd give it a try to introduce the thread for this weekend.

If we have consistently good pitching and solid defense, we should take the series. And continue with our fabulous offense.

Getting the consistent pitching is the problem: starting, relieving and closing. With a team ERA of 6.11 after last night, we usually just have to bludgeon the other team into submission.

On defense, I'm more optimistic than pitching. I think we may see more of Jadyn at SS and Chandler at 2nd like part of last night. Jadyn is really good defensively (I saw him make two beautiful plays against UVa in the Saturday game) but only has .200 BA (25 AB). I think I'd take that tradeoff any day now; mostly for making hard plays and helping out our pitchers. The high ERA is not all on the pitchers - they need a defense that makes plays and gets them outs. Scored errors are only the visible part of the iceberg. Both defense and pitchers need to pick each other up.

FSU is ranked #20 by D1 Baseball (we are no longer ranked). Looking at their overall performance being 4-7 against top 100 teams, they are beatable. And I included their last three week performance below too. They took the NC State and Duke series but were swept by ND last weekend.

1649246215681.png

1649247055786.png

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I fear our biggest weakness is the propensity to give up a big inning.

In our 11 loses so far this season, 8 of them included an inning when we give up 4 or more runs (the exceptions were Ga Southern, Mercer, and Friday v Wake). 6 of those loses included an inning giving up 6 runs.

Is this a "slow hook danny" problem, or more that he didn't have anyone reliable to go to? Because some of these games were still in reach while we were walking batters, or giving up a million singles, but it just wouldn't stop.

If we can react quickly this weekend, and stop the damage early, we can hang for sure.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I fear our biggest weakness is the propensity to give up a big inning.

In our 11 loses so far this season, 8 of them included an inning when we give up 4 or more runs (the exceptions were Ga Southern, Mercer, and Friday v Wake). 6 of those loses included an inning giving up 6 runs.

Is this a "slow hook danny" problem, or more that he didn't have anyone reliable to go to? Because some of these games were still in reach while we were walking batters, or giving up a million singles, but it just wouldn't stop.

If we can react quickly this weekend, and stop the damage early, we can hang for sure.
In those big innings that I can remember the pitchers were replaced. I don’t think it’s a “slow hook” problem. We have been prone to giving up walks. When you play elite offenses and walk batters the elite hitters will wait until you come over the plate with the pitch that’s thrown over the plate for the sake of getting a strike. Add the number of walks and hit by pitches to another teams’ hit total and we get beat. But yes, generally speaking, if we pitch well we win.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
In those big innings that I can remember the pitchers were replaced. I don’t think it’s a “slow hook” problem. We have been prone to giving up walks. When you play elite offenses and walk batters the elite hitters will wait until you come over the plate with the pitch that’s thrown over the plate for the sake of getting a strike. Add the number of walks and hit by pitches to another teams’ hit total and we get beat. But yes, generally speaking, if we pitch well we win.
Don't forget errors as well. Any "Free" outs/baserunners will come back eventually to haunt you against talented teams. I agree though, it hasn't been an issue of SHH (Slow Hook Hall), as in the past. Last weekend was especially frustrating as we jumped into the lead "right out of the gate" in all three games.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. On Sunday against UVA, Grissom and Brown walked 9 guys in 3 and 2/3 innings. 9. Against an offense that is top ten, maybe top 5, in the country. The other thing I noticed about UVA's offense is that when they have 2 strikes on them, more often than not they shorten up their swing and just try to put the ball in play. Even their top HR hitter Gelof did that on Friday night against Maxwell with the bases loaded. It didn't work out for him, as Jadyn had the ball pop out of his mitt and then caught it with his bare hand to end the inning and get on ESPN. But I don't think Gelof was swinging for the trees there. Just trying to put the ball in play. More often than not, our hitters seem to be swinging for the trees regardless of count or situation.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
You are correct. On Sunday against UVA, Grissom and Brown walked 9 guys in 3 and 2/3 innings. 9. Against an offense that is top ten, maybe top 5, in the country. The other thing I noticed about UVA's offense is that when they have 2 strikes on them, more often than not they shorten up their swing and just try to put the ball in play. Even their top HR hitter Gelof did that on Friday night against Maxwell with the bases loaded. It didn't work out for him, as Jadyn had the ball pop out of his mitt and then caught it with his bare hand to end the inning and get on ESPN. But I don't think Gelof was swinging for the trees there. Just trying to put the ball in play. More often than not, our hitters seem to be swinging for the trees regardless of count or situation.
I’m probably not right but I wonder if the hitters feel pressure from the poor pitching. The hitters seem to have confidence so they know they can do damage in any count

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m probably not right but I wonder if the hitters feel pressure from the poor pitching. The hitters seem to have confidence so they know they can do damage in any count

I'd guess that comes more from losing (which is pitchers giving up too many runs oftentimes) and wanting to do too much. Reid was doing really well for a stretch putting the ball into shallow RF as I recall. Then UVa put on a massive shift (no one withing 50 feet of third) and he hit it right to them ..... but I digress.

Anyway FSU won last night in 12. Only had 7 hits in 12 and were gifted two feww ABs (at least) by Stetson.
1649328816298.png

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
If we can get on FSU's starters early, I like our chances. They are the weakest offense we've played in the ACC to date.

The issue is they have a weekend rotation that rivals UVA's, but we were able to get on them early.

They are also one of only two teams with a worse fielding % than us.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Starters? I expect same as last weekend and continued quick hook as needed. I've got no issues with coaching, guys need to throw the strike pitch more.

Hope Jadyn @ SS and Chandler @ 2B. This team is different with Chandler.

Driving or I'd put out the W/L with and without Chandler. Much better with ( not SoS adjusted)

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Starters? I expect same as last weekend and continued quick hook as needed. I've got no issues with coaching, guys need to throw the strike pitch more.

Hope Jadyn @ SS and Chandler @ 2B. This team is different with Chandler.

Driving or I'd put out the W/L with and without Chandler. Much better with ( not SoS adjusted)
Game notes list Huff, McGuire, and TBD.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Thought of the day...

I don't buy that the schedule is easier going forward. At least not enough to make much of a difference. Ga Tech is looking up at 10 ACC teams in the standings.

Any uptick in winning % rests solely on the Ga Tech team to perform better. Not who we're playing.
Uh oh ………

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thought of the day...

I don't buy that the schedule is easier going forward. At least not enough to make much of a difference. Ga Tech is looking up at 10 ACC teams in the standings.

Any uptick in winning % rests solely on the Ga Tech team to perform better. Not who we're playing.

We got Chandler back and I introduced the series. No problems going forward.

Chandler at 2B and Jadyn at SS :)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Huff 6.0 shutout. (1 unearned run).

Maxwell strikes out 3 coming in with bases loaded. Last pitch 101.

12 pitches for 3 SO

Holy ****.
Well, at UVA he struck out the first 2 with the bases loaded in relief and Jadyn made an ESPN highlight by not catching the ball with his glove the first time. So Maxwell figured he'd just finish it off himself this time...