FSU Game

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It can go either way...worked out fine for Russell Wilson, not so much for Michael Brewer.
I don't have a clue, but if FSU runs the closest thing to the pro passing game in college, it might be a problem for even an experienced QB to pick up the route tree, blocking schemes, etc. On the other hand, I don't care. Let's play some ball.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree, FSU always has talent. This game will likely be a battle, whether we win or don't. Probably a couple of 4-stars sitting the bench at QB and maybe even a 5-star coming in. I haven't looked it up. But, their "QB of the future" will be starting at Alabama this year more than likely. Jacob Coker decided not to sit behind Jameis, and transferred.

Whether Golson or not--it'll be a newcomer. McGuire is their most experienced backup. Let's hope he doesn't rise up.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I didnt realize fsu lost their whole OL? Is that true?

Fyi. We lost all our BB and their backups. Many AB. And both WR. FSU can say the same about us and all we lost have a good point too.....

The biggest thing we have they dont is the QB and 4 of 5 OL. Give me that any day over a returning WR or RB.

4 NFL lineman. Even though they have some behemoths ready to step in it they will have some growing pains this season http://www.tomahawknation.com/2015/3/13/8183289/florida-state-offensive-line-spring-football-fsu

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nothing so enhances the reputation of a middlin' QB as the announcement he intends to transfer. Kind of like a 2-star going to a 5-star the day after Alabama offers.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
And then Russell Wilson became a very successful first year starter in the NFL, the guy is a special player and obviously very intelligent.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
This will be an extremely tough game. Regardless of who they've lost, the last four recruiting classes they've had have been in the top 10. Adding Golson is a good thing for them. Jimbo is unbelievable with quarterbacks. Golson will have the weapons. Dalvin Cook is going to be one of the best RB's in the nation and Travis Rudolph and Ermon Lane at WR are going to be studs. We've struggled with mobile quarterbacks. Golson is dangerous with his legs.

The good news for us is we have Justin Thomas and, hopefully, an improved defense. We should be rolling on offense by then and the atmosphere at BDS should be electric. We can win this game but it will be really tough.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
IF our Defense can pick up where it played the last third of the season (except the ACC Championship Game), THEN I believe we can play with ANYBODY on our schedule next season, and we have a legitimate shot at the Playoffs.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Putting all of the football aspects aside, I always thought the ACC had tougher academic requirements and was suprised when I read that the SEC had a bylaw that states it would not accept a transfer with academic shortcomings; i.e. his academic suspension two years ago.

Apparently either the ACC doesn't have this same bylaw or it was bypassed in some manner by the Criminoles as I thought Golson had no chance of playing in a Power 5 school after reading that the SEC didn't appear to be an option for him as a graduate student.

Anyone have any insight on how he was able to go to an ACC School?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Putting all of the football aspects aside, I always thought the ACC had tougher academic requirements and was suprised when I read that the SEC had a bylaw that states it would not accept a transfer with academic shortcomings; i.e. his academic suspension two years ago.

Apparently either the ACC doesn't have this same bylaw or it was bypassed in some manner by the Criminoles as I thought Golson had no chance of playing in a Power 5 school after reading that the SEC didn't appear to be an option for him as a graduate student.

My reading says he could have gone anywhere as long as he was accepted as a grad student. Having graduated he had no shortcomings. He earned and met all the requirements at ND, then it is up to individual graduate programs. His suspension, I am guessing only, is no more than would have happened to any non-athlete who failed minimum requirements but who later finished and applied for grad school. Of course, one might reasonably guess Golson had a way better chance of being accepted ... just guessing.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow

The SEC's transfer rule prohibits players who have been disciplined by their prior school from transferring to an SEC school and playing unless an appeal is granted. The rule came about after an Oregon player with discipline issues transferred to Ole Miss a few years ago. The rule states nothing about academics, but since Golson's academics lead to discipline, he qualified under the rule. The SEC did not make the rule for any academic reasons. The rule was made to clean up their image after players with shady issues at their previous schools were seen as having a free pass to the SEC if they were good enough to play.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

There was an ESPN article explaining the SEC rule, but the gist is they put it in place after Jeremiah Masoli transferred to Ole Miss to escape his suspension. They put a rule that anyone who was ever disciplined by their school has to receive a special exception from the emperor, excuse me, commissioner (which he isn't likely to do, unless it puts one of the prestige programs in a good spot for a title). I wouldn't be surprised if next offseason they tweak the rule to exempt players who have already graduated or have previously finished serving their punishment.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@ deeeznutz & DH9387:

Thank you for that information as I forgot about that renegade Duck who bolted to Ole Miss.