FSU 1/7/2023 - GAME THREAD

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do we teach the post score inbounds bounce pass to the opponent right under the basket ?

At least we are not fouling so they get a 3 point play.

Not basketball smart.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, here we are in January and who would have thought we would be looking forward to football. Neither basketball team is playing very well right now. I was afraid the Miami game might be an outlier.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Following up a ranked win with a loss to one of the worst 3 teams in the conference (we’re one of those 3). Seems about right.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner has always emphasized Defense. The offensive end of the floor is where we have problems. The Princeton offense simply doesn't work these days. We some good young players, but when teams play out toe the 3 pt. line, we try to dribble drive, and force a bad shot rather than kick it out to 3 pt shooter. Just bad offense. Period. And the dribble drives create those turnovers.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well, here we are in January and who would have thought we would be looking forward to football. Neither basketball team is playing very well right now. I was afraid the Miami game might be an outlier.
I did, again. And I get endless amount of **** for it. It will be the same in a few months no doubt.

For me this game was pretty simple. We started hot, Hamilton made an adjustment that worked, Pastner ran some kind of variant of the same garbage offense we always run, Kelly went cold after they focused on him. Ball game.

Watch everyone except the ball handler when we are on offense. There is the initial movement and once the players arrive at those spots there is A LOT of standing around.

Whatever… here’s to two more years of this

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Actually, FSU is playing pretty well after an awful start.
Their last 3 games before this one were a 14 point home loss to St. John’s who’s lost 5 in a row since beating FSU, a 1 point home win against another really bad Notre Dame team, and a 21 point loss to Duke.

I’m not sure I would call that playing pretty well. They’re a bad team, and so are we. They just beat us by 10. If you want to throw ND in there and say we’re one of the worst 4 teams in the conference, fine. But FSU is not good this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Their last 3 games before this one were a 14 point home loss to St. John’s who’s lost 5 in a row since beating FSU, a 1 point home win against another really bad Notre Dame team, and a 21 point loss to Duke.

I’m not sure I would call that playing pretty well. They’re a bad team, and so are we. They just beat us by 10. If you want to throw ND in there and say we’re one of the worst 4 teams in the conference, fine. But FSU is not good this year.
Any port in a storm

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I did, again. And I get endless amount of **** for it. It will be the same in a few months no doubt.

For me this game was pretty simple. We started hot, Hamilton made an adjustment that worked, Pastner ran some kind of variant of the same garbage offense we always run, Kelly went cold after they focused on him. Ball game.

Watch everyone except the ball handler when we are on offense. There is the initial movement and once the players arrive at those spots there is A LOT of standing around.

Well here we are still talking about the offense again. Goooooo figure !! Maybe if when we drive to paint & kick it to our spot up guys, similar to what FSU did to us today & how the game should be played maybe we can help ourselves. FSU is not known for 3's but they sure as hell were making extra passes for shots. Extra passes again extra passes!! We didn't adjust like FSU did, instead we continued tried to put the square peg in the circle hole. We lost a winnable game & I'm sure it wasn't because of the players.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I still think this team has great shooters but it might be the least resilient Pastner team we’ve seen in 7 seasons. Granted 4 of those seasons were led by Jose - we were very spoiled. I’m not sure we will win a road game in ACC play and I suspect this is not the last time we go down 20 on the road.

The players are also all very inexperienced in ACC road environments and 19 years old. Hopefully they will grow the rest of the season.
Inexperienced is simply BS. Moore has played 27 college games. Next least are Kelly and Coleman with 45 colleges games. The other 5 who get minutes have played between 70 and 90 college games.

Only Moore could be considered inexperienced.

The team, as a team is poorly constructed and generally plays poor fundamental basketball in a poorly designed offensive system.

Basically poor coaching

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
They will blame you and I more than the coach. They will say negativity overcame the board and drove them out. They were tired of it. Watch…
Actually we need more fans like you to get the ship corrected. I suggested the fans wear bags like they did at the end of the Morrison era. We have lost our conference games all by double digits, which means we weren't even competitive. I hoped Miami was a turning point game, it may have just been a mirage. If we play on Tuesday at the ACC tourney and go one and out, I fire Pastner right after the game. It sends a statement that we are serious about hoops. No reason this program shouldn't at least be fielding competitive teams. Pastner is a nice guy and easy to root for, but damn at some point you have to start winning. And please don't give me " we are broke" excuse. Tech can find the money.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You can't sugarcoat this loss. We were down by 5 at halftime but were down by 21 when FSU took their foot off the gas so that we scored the last 10 points. We've had one good ACC win, and multiple ugly losses. This may have been the worst of them all given FSU's record.

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually we need more fans like you to get the ship corrected. I suggested the fans wear bags like they did at the end of the Morrison era. We have lost our conference games all by double digits, which means we weren't even competitive. I hoped Miami was a turning point game, it may have just been a mirage. If we play on Tuesday at the ACC tourney and go one and out, I fire Pastner right after the game. It sends a statement that we are serious about hoops. No reason this program shouldn't at least be fielding competitive teams. Pastner is a nice guy and easy to root for, but damn at some point you have to start winning. And please don't give me " we are broke" excuse. Tech can find the money.
I am more and more convinced that Josh really has no idea what he is doing.
If he had an ounce of pride, he would resign right now.
He has failed. He has no plan to improve. He has destroyed the GT BB fan base.
Yawn...GT fans no longer care if we win or lose.....

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Inexperienced is simply BS. Moore has played 27 college games. Next least are Kelly and Coleman with 45 colleges games. The other 5 who get minutes have played between 70 and 90 college games.

Only Moore could be considered inexperienced.

The team, as a team is poorly constructed and generally plays poor fundamental basketball in a poorly designed offensive system.

Basically poor coaching
27 and 45 total games really isn't that much for 3 leading scorers. Rodney is in the same boat. The senior transfers have played their road games at Radford and Georgia Southern. A guy like Kihei Clark doesn't put up the greatest stats in the world but he's an amazing stablizer with regards to UVA's mental/emotional approach to games. Clemson mounted a comeback late in a crazy environment at Pitt with 1st place on the line today thanks to experience/leadership from PJ Hall, Hunter Tyson, and Chase Hunter. Opponents are winning at McCamish led by guys who have played 27+ road conference games on ACC/P6 stages - we are relying mainly on 3 guys who have each played less than half that.

We've had a leadership vacuum growing since Jose left and its turned into a black hole after Ush left. 100% Pastner is to blame for a good chunk of that. There was no shortage of people predicting this outcome of the recruiting misses in 2019. You can tell he's calling early timeouts recently because he recognizes how this team has a tendency to give up huge runs, especially on the road.

The good news is we are 4-1 when games come down to the final media timeout. IMO we are a PG away from an NCAAT team (and of course no injury bug, which we've been very fortunate with in recent years).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

The like was for the analysis, not for the fact of getting to muddle through this for another year or two.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
27 and 45 total games really isn't that much for 3 leading scorers. Rodney is in the same boat. The senior transfers have played their road games at Radford and Georgia Southern. A guy like Kihei Clark doesn't put up the greatest stats in the world but he's an amazing stablizer with regards to UVA's mental/emotional approach to games. Clemson mounted a comeback late in a crazy environment at Pitt with 1st place on the line today thanks to experience/leadership from PJ Hall, Hunter Tyson, and Chase Hunter. Opponents are winning at McCamish led by guys who have played 27+ road conference games on ACC/P6 stages - we are relying mainly on 3 guys who have each played less than half that.

We've had a leadership vacuum growing since Jose left and its turned into a black hole after Ush left. 100% Pastner is to blame for a good chunk of that. There was no shortage of people predicting this outcome of the recruiting misses in 2019. You can tell he's calling early timeouts recently because he recognizes how this team has a tendency to give up huge runs, especially on the road.

The good news is we are 4-1 when games come down to the final media timeout. IMO we are a PG away from an NCAAT team (and of course no injury bug, which we've been very fortunate with in recent years).
I wish what you said was true but it’s totally wrong. By current college standards we are an above average experienced team. Our PGs are 3rd and 4th year players with lots of experience. Neither are any good as PGs. Smith would be good if he could shoot, he can’t.

Howard is a very experienced center. He is at best a back up ACC level center.

The transfers, Terry and Franklin are extremely experienced players.

The three sophomores are half way thru their second season. In the current state of college basketball many guys would be going pro or transferring at the end of year 2.

Get Old simply is a dated strategy and used by teams that don’t recruit well. Basically an excuse.

This team won’t be any better next year. Still won’t have a center or PG. A coach that won’t change the offensive strategy to fit his players.

We will be a bottom 5 ACC Team this year at best with nothing to make anyone but a Gold Colored Glasses Homer believe we will be better next year as the flaws in the current team haven’t been addressed in recruiting. Rarely do freshmen make impacts under CJP anyway.

CJP has gotten solid Transfers but none transformational players.

Glad you have hope. I have lost hope under CJP.

Last edited:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I can tolerate and forgive a lot, and I actually really like our players this year. But the lazy passes resulting in "pick six" turnovers are hard to watch. Also we keep dribbling into the paint with no apparent plan for what to do with the ball when we get there.
Many games after watching my varsity guys butcher offensive sets, I would just call freelance (which was literally just put the ball in the PG's hands and run some playground). A couple rounds of that would seemingly regain their game focus. I wonder sometimes if GT would be better running less called plays and instead playing more rhythm bb. Hopefully wouldn't be any worse than watching guys overthink an offense.