FSU 1/7/2023 - GAME THREAD

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish what you said was true but it’s totally wrong. By current college standards we are an above average experienced team. Our PGs are 3rd and 4th year players with lots of experience. Neither are any good as PGs. Smith would be good if he could shoot, he can’t.

Howard is a very experienced center. He is at best a back up ACC level center.

The transfers, Terry and Franklin are extremely experienced players.

The three sophomores are half way thru their second season. In the current state of college basketball many guys would be going pro or transferring at the end of year 2.

Get Old simply is a dated strategy and used by teams that don’t recruit well. Basically an excuse.

This team won’t be any better next year. Still won’t have a center or PG. A coach that won’t change the offensive strategy to fit his players.

We will be a bottom 5 ACC Team this year at best with nothing to make anyone but a Gold Colored Glasses Homer believe we will be better next year as the flaws in the current team haven’t been addressed in recruiting. Rarely do freshmen make impacts under CJP anyway.

CJP has gotten solid Transfers but none transformational players.

Glad you have hope. I have lost hope under CJP.
Get old is not a bad strategy. Probably the majority of teams in the dance are “older” teams. The issue for GT is we didn’t execute on the “stay old” part of the strategy. Can’t run a program on getting old every 4 or 5 years.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Actually we need more fans like you to get the ship corrected. I suggested the fans wear bags like they did at the end of the Morrison era. We have lost our conference games all by double digits, which means we weren't even competitive. I hoped Miami was a turning point game, it may have just been a mirage. If we play on Tuesday at the ACC tourney and go one and out, I fire Pastner right after the game. It sends a statement that we are serious about hoops. No reason this program shouldn't at least be fielding competitive teams. Pastner is a nice guy and easy to root for, but damn at some point you have to start winning. And please don't give me " we are broke" excuse. Tech can find the money.
I don’t donate money. This program doesn’t have a history oF GAF. Doesn’t deserve anything

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don’t donate money. This program doesn’t have a history oF GAF. Doesn’t deserve anything.

That’s always been my point to DTM(and others). You want me to just keep blindly giving money to an AA that hasn’t shown any interest in caring about the program? Nah.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That’s always been my point to DTM(and others). You want me to just keep blindly giving money to an AA that hasn’t shown any interest in caring about the program? Nah.
This. Back in the day I was a season ticket holder in the Callaway Club. Haven't been to a game in a couple of years now....

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Some how we have to get more tech grads to donate

Folks like us been giving for a while.

Now the players are paid.

Other conferences have improved tv contracts.

Got to be creative

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
This. Back in the day I was a season ticket holder in the Callaway Club. Haven't been to a game in a couple of years now....
Do you guys not have fun at the games? Am I the only one who wakes up giddy on home gamedays that I’ll be in McCamish that evening? And during the games do you just sit there emotionless the entire game until the final result or do you fist pump when we force a turnover and hit a transition 3 to take an early lead?

Not saying you need to dole out of every biweekly paycheck to support the team but I’m honestly astounded 1) Tech grads 2) spending time on this board 3) who live in the metro area would not attend as many games as they can or have season tickets.

Disclaimer: I don’t have football tickets but still attend most games. I prefer to buy week of (sometimes secondary, sometimes GTAA) because I will sit in different locations based on who attends with me, the weather, time of game, etc

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys not have fun at the games? Am I the only one who wakes up giddy on home gamedays that I’ll be in McCamish that evening? And during the games do you just sit there emotionless the entire game until the final result or do you fist pump when we force a turnover and hit a transition 3 to take an early lead?

Not saying you need to dole out of every biweekly paycheck to support the team but I’m honestly astounded 1) Tech grads 2) spending time on this board 3) who live in the metro area would not attend as many games as they can or have season tickets.

Disclaimer: I don’t have football tickets but still attend most games. I prefer to buy week of (sometimes secondary, sometimes GTAA) because I will sit in different locations based on who attends with me, the weather, time of game, etc
There is zero appeal in going to a basketball game for me right now. 1) we’re not good, 2) we play the most boring style of basketball possible, and 3) we don’t have any players who are exciting to watch play ie Jose, Usher, Okogie, Shumpert, Favors, etc.

I’ve said before that I don’t even think I would go if I got a free pass to the Callaway Club for any random game. It would have to be UGA, UNC, or Duke for me to want to go at all.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I'll say this, with what's going on with the football side, there seems to be some action behind their words so far.

Maybe a new day is dawning?

On CPast ... (long sigh) .. I'll support the players and coaches while they're here.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this, with what's going on with the football side, there seems to be some action behind their words so far.

Maybe a new day is dawning?

On CPast ... (long sigh) .. I'll support the players and coaches while they're here

That’s fair. I’m fine giving a fair shake to Cabrera and Batt. I tried to with bobo/stans and Peterson but I felt like Peterson couldn’t have cared less about sports. At all. It is promising that Cabrera is very seen at games, posts on Twitter often etc

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

First paragraph I’d say I definitely was pumped going during some of the Hewitt years. I remember the games after the title run year were electric. The entire Gregory era sucked. Past has been a little better but we play such a boring and uninspired style .

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I go to every ACC game I can (some nights I can't go due to child custody issues). I try to go to reasonable OOC games but don't bother when we play teams like Florida Tech. I may not get giddy on gameday mornings, but I do enjoy going to the games and cheering for the team.

@AUFC if you're going to be at a Ga State game, drop me a PM. Would be fun to catch up there. I don't care who wins, but they're fun games to go to

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan

I used to but that was many years ago. I contribute funds and attend 3-5 games a year. I want bash CJP. He does well if he can get the right players for his system of choice. Problem is, he is unable to do that consistently. Games I have attended are typically dead or close to it. You feel awkward yelling when you're generally the only one doing it. I remember back in the day GT basketball was the hottest ticket in town. You got to the game a few hours early because it was electric. Not always sold out but it was a passionate fanbase and you knew you were going to get a good game win or lose. I do agree we are in dire need of a PG for next year. CJP isn't the answer. Hopefully waiting for the focus to turn on revitalizing basketball.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I go to every ACC game I can (some nights I can't go due to child custody issues). I try to go to reasonable OOC games but don't bother when we play teams like Florida Tech. I may not get giddy on gameday mornings, but I do enjoy going to the games and cheering for the team.

@AUFC if you're going to be at a Ga State game, drop me a PM. Would be fun to catch up there. I don't care who wins, but they're fun games to go to
Oh yeah you have season tickets to State WBB don’t you? I’ll DM you - I’ve been to a couple men’s games and a couple women’s games at the beginning of the year (including the Miles Kelly game winner). The men have 2 home games this week but they clash with GT MBB and WBB unfortunately! The women aren’t back in Summerhill for a week and a half.

As an aside, I went to my first Kennesaw State game recently and had a really good time. It was a surprisingly great environment and you can’t beat sitting 10 feet away from the court for D1 basketball, even if it’s lower level. Only $10 too. I’d like to get to a Mercer game soon.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
On a side note about the FSU game, our group went out to eat after the game to kill some time and we actually saw Darin Green Jr. and his family come in and sit a couple tables over from us. Got the chance to meet him and chat for just a little bit as I didn't want to interrupt him and his family, but genuinely seemed like a good guy. His dad was super excited that an opposing fan would take time out to give him props for a good game played. I told Green Jr. that he played a good game and that I couldn't understand why our defense sagged off of him for most of the second half when he was on fire. He politely thanked me but did give me a playful smile about it. It seemed like he was telling me without telling me he was thinking the same thing during the game....