From the radio show

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
(Or maybe he is doing it on purpose that that Ted will fail brilliantly and he can argue for a better DC.)

the only 2 logical answers to this performance issue is A)he won't fix it (letting Ted fail as you suggest) or B)he can't fix it (doesn't know what to do). These things are root causes of any performance problem. however, I highly doubt a coach following a 3 win season will cut off his nose to spite his face. In other words, he is not standing back with a 'hands off' attitude letting CTR fail intentionally. He doesn't need to do that to replace him as he is the boss. He could fire him after lunch if he wanted. IMO, he doesn't know what to do. most logical conclusion.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He could fire him after lunch if he wanted. IMO, he doesn't know what to do.

One sports pundit put it this way: "Tech's offense can roll 3-9 as easily as 9-3. There's a lot of discussion on Paul's offense and whether it's right for Tech or not, how it's executed, how it is impacted by recruiting, etc.

But the part of the equation that is the easiest putt is to bone up the Defense. Putting the pieces in place (talent, development, coaching) to deliver a solid defense is not an "either or" issue to the Offense. It only helps. The Team. Win.

So go all in on putting a solid Defense out there. Easy call.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
the only 2 logical answers to this performance issue is A)he won't fix it (letting Ted fail as you suggest) or B)he can't fix it (doesn't know what to do).
Why are these the only 2 logical answers?

I can think of one other right off the top of my head: he knows what to do, but is not empowered to do it. He doesn't have, and has never had, the money and support to hire who he wants.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I can think of one other right off the top of my head: he knows what to do, but is not empowered to do it. He doesn't have, and has never had, the money and support to hire who he wants.

would fall under the umbrella of "can't"...there is a lot of reasons for "can't" besides technical proficiency. Constraints and /or lack of resources definitely contribute to can't.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
would fall under the umbrella of "can't"...there is a lot of reasons for "can't" besides technical proficiency. Constraints and /or lack of resources definitely contribute to can't.
You threw me with the part in parenthesis (doesn't know what to do).

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

dc, he's empowered to fire any coach he has. If he doesn't have the money and support hell, just come out and say so. At least then the fans will know the score and no one is going to fire him for speaking the truth.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe it's his own Head Coaching philosophy, don't "micro-manage" non-hands-on approach to defense, trusting the coaches he hired to do their job ... not saying it's right, not saying it's working, just saying.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I think I posted something similar to this earlier, so forgive me if I did. But Swinney's contract at Clemson was renegotiated after the NC run. He certainly is not hurting and could well afford to do it, but he took much of his bargaining power for exactly that: more help, bigger staff, facilities, recruiting money, etc. I gather that while actual "coaches" are limited by the NCAA, one can have almost as many administrative assistants as he wants, and hire coaches into those jobs. (Film study, travel arrangements, scheduling, etc.) The upshot is that he still makes more than $3.5 million per but is adding pieces as he sees fit. Money solves a lot of problems, and in this case better positions him to achieve his aim: contend for the national championship every season.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Swinney has really surprised me, I didn't think it was a good hire at the time, we actually beat Clemson (at Clemson) in his first game coaching
I think one of his most positive attributes is emotion and motivating his players, contrastly I think it's one of CPJ weaknesses ... I have seen him say something like "if they aren't fired up for this game that's their problem".
It might actually be one of the reason's we come out flat in the 1Q.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Swinney has really surprised me, I didn't think it was a good hire at the time, we actually beat Clemson (at Clemson) in his first game coaching
I think one of his most positive attributes is emotion and motivating his players, contrastly I think it's one of CPJ weaknesses ... I have seen him say something like "if they aren't fired up for this game that's their problem".
It might actually be one of the reason's we come out flat in the 1Q.

One of his most positive attributes is hiring two of the best coordinators in the business.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
dc, he's empowered to fire any coach he has. If he doesn't have the money and support hell, just come out and say so. At least then the fans will know the score and no one is going to fire him for speaking the truth.
He can't go out and say that publicly. If he does it undermines Ted and the players.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
One of his most positive attributes is hiring two of the best coordinators in the business.
It's a chicken and egg thing kind of. He wins and gets more money for his assistants -- that was last year's move on his part with some of his salary increase -- and gets more assistants so he can win and ...it certainly is no hindrance that he is in a football-nuts location with some monied grads close enough to pour it it. I do recall that first game when Johnson schooled him on punts. As I remember Swinney was going to pooch the ball short to the sideline, Johnson was frantically waving Burnett back, and the result was a long TD return. And I remember that afterwards Swinney impressed me by manning up to it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He can't go out and say that publicly. If he does it undermines Ted and the players.

Obvious post is obvious. Even if CPJ has concluded that Ted is not getting the job done, it doesn't follow that any other available option is better. Fwiw, I think we're in a situation on D where guys don't trust the system and don't trust each other. As a result they're trying to step-up and make a play regardless of assignment: Lack of eye-discipline and assignment-discipline resulting from trying too hard rather than from not trying hard enough. Just a guess.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Obvious post is obvious. Even if CPJ has concluded that Ted is not getting the job done, it doesn't follow that any other available option is better. Fwiw, I think we're in a situation on D where guys don't trust the system and don't trust each other. As a result they're trying to step-up and make a play regardless of assignment: Lack of eye-discipline and assignment-discipline resulting from trying too hard rather than from not trying hard enough. Just a guess.
A question that perhaps somebody close to the program or circumstances might answer. it occurred to me when Roof was hired with what to me did not seem exactly an overall sparkling record, and given Johnson's woes at finding a good D man, was it going to be very hard to fire Roof if he did not work out? By that I mean he is a GT man through and through. And I am not advocating he be fired because I do not have a clue as to the why of it. Just that the defense is very bad.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
TR will finish the year at DC. If TR remains as DC in 2017, then both will be gone the end of next season. There never has been a good year for the D under PJ so we should not expect any improvement next year unless there is a major upgrade in a new DC for 2017. Difficult to see any big improvement next year in the O with JT being gone. I wish he would let MJ at least throw the ball a little more and actually run the option and pitch it to get more game experience. He is becoming too predictable when in the game. Doesn't pitch on the edge and runs behind Shamire on short yardages. Very predictable so far.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
I wish he would let MJ at least throw the ball a little more and actually run the option and pitch it to get more game experience. He is becoming too predictable when in the game. Doesn't pitch on the edge and runs behind Shamire on short yardages. Very predictable so far.
That's a little unfair to Matt Jordan. You describe him as predictable – but I would describe him as incredibly effective. When he's been asked to play in goal line situations, he has almost always gotten the TD. When he was asked to move the ball and control the clock against UNC, he did that effectively, too. CPJ stated that Jordan and Mills' "mesh" fumble was the result of Mills lining up too close to the line of scrimmage. As CPJ has said, if they don't stop you, don't stop doing it – whether they know it's coming or not.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just want him to get more game situations for next year. I think he is doing a good job with what PJ will allow him to do. I think he is on a short leash.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
TR will finish the year at DC. If TR remains as DC in 2017, then both will be gone the end of next season. There never has been a good year for the D under PJ so we should not expect any improvement next year unless there is a major upgrade in a new DC for 2017. Difficult to see any big improvement next year in the O with JT being gone. I wish he would let MJ at least throw the ball a little more and actually run the option and pitch it to get more game experience. He is becoming too predictable when in the game. Doesn't pitch on the edge and runs behind Shamire on short yardages. Very predictable so far.
Actually I think Jordan is more the Navy type option QB. Knowing he does not have that explosive high end speed, he turns upfield in a hurry. Navy QBs have always played it this way. Sometimes Thomas lets his speed dictate some long lateral progressions. I don't have a problem with Jordan. The kid can play some.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ted roof buyout is 750k. Its through 2017

He makes 750k more than enough to find a good DC. The money issue is we have to buy him out if we fire him this year.

So lets refresh. Gt pays roof in top 15 or so for all dc in the land. Plenty of money.

But. We stupidly gave him a 3 year contract which ends after 2017. Thats an issue. And a ridiculous contract for a no great coach with no track record that is an assistant.

I agree with the poster than says if this staff stays unchanged after this season; roof, sewak etc everyone will be gone at the end of 2017.

This team has no performed and a ton of it is simply quality coaching imo