From the radio show

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Several calls about the defense. PJs answers: Didn't line up right. Lots of problems with our eyes. If you are supposed to cover the right side wide receiver, you must do that and not be looking in at the running back. Fundamentals... If we are going to blitz, we need to commit to bringing enough to get to the quarterback. If we are going to cover, we need to commit to enough to cover. We are too often caught in the middle and end up neither getting to the quarterback nor covering... We simply must play better. We can play better defense. We have played better defense earlier in the year.

It wasn't all on the defense. The offense left a lot of points out on the field.

Q: What can fans do to help the program? A: Facilities are important to recruits. The size of the recruiting staff. Fan support -- come to the games.

From Andy: We are getting a whole lot of explosion plays this year. We already have more than we had in 2014. PJ: Yeah, well, sometimes our offense works better when we get 'em six yards at a time. [aside: this contradicts what he said last week]

Andy: tell me about the big screen play pass to Ricky Jeune. What made it so successful? PJ: He was ineligible. I noticed last year in that formation if the receiver was lined up ineligible, no one would cover him. So I wondered what would happen if he took a couple of steps back and we made it a lateral. We almost screwed it up. Ricky didn't step very far back and if it was sideways, it was barely so.

A caller asked if Justin can't go Saturday, would we see TaQuon. PJ: I put Jordon in because I wanted to score, sure, but I wanted to run some clock and hold the ball. Look, Justin is gonna play Saturday.

On VT defense: They are really good again this year. They contest everything. Athletic, fast.

On VT offense: They run an offense now similar to that of UNC and Duke. Cited some impressive stats.

Andy: And yet Duke played 'em even. One of VTs few scores came on a blocked field goal run back for a touchdown. PJ: As I said last week, Duke defense is really good. I wasn't surprised by the way they played VT. [Aside: Duke doesn't recruit superstars either. Can we just copy what they do on defense?]

Somewhere near the beginning Andy and PJ rehashed the UNC game. It brought to mind the point Boomer made just after the game: if we hadn't had so many flubs on offense, we still would have probably lost, but the game could have been competitive. I don't see any way we could have won this game without ever stopping or even slowing down the offense. But we could have put up a lot more points if we hadn't had the offensive screwups.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
The inescapable conclusion is that we are lacking in the coaching dept on defense. The players are not playing with confidence and/or swagger.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The inescapable conclusion is that we are lacking in the coaching dept on defense. The players are not playing with confidence and/or swagger.
Guys who can't get off blocks, who have their eyes in the wrong places, who miss assignments, who can't cover more than 2 seconds, who can't tackle worth a darn, who sit back and wait for a ball carrier to get to them instead of closing ground themselves.... tend to not have confidence and/or swagger.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I have come to the conclusion that it may be talent. We are making the same mistakes for the past 10 years. Football schools can take a guy that is dumb as dirt, and if the talent is there, he becomes an All American. And we are supposed to have the "brightest" guys on the planet.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Guys who can't get off blocks, who have their eyes in the wrong places, who miss assignments, who can't cover more than 2 seconds, who can't tackle worth a darn, who sit back and wait for a ball carrier to get to them instead of closing ground themselves.... tend to not have confidence and/or swagger.
They also should not be playing, next man up.

Several calls about the defense. PJs answers: Didn't line up right. Lots of problems with our eyes. If you are supposed to cover the right side wide receiver, you must do that and not be looking in at the running back. Fundamentals... If we are going to blitz, we need to commit to bringing enough to get to the quarterback. If we are going to cover, we need to commit to enough to cover. We are too often caught in the middle and end up neither getting to the quarterback nor covering... We simply must play better. We can play better defense. We have played better defense earlier in the year.

It wasn't all on the defense. The offense left a lot of points out on the field.

Q: What can fans do to help the program? A: Facilities are important to recruits. The size of the recruiting staff. Fan support -- come to the games.

From Andy: We are getting a whole lot of explosion plays this year. We already have more than we had in 2014. PJ: Yeah, well, sometimes our offense works better when we get 'em six yards at a time. [aside: this contradicts what he said last week]

Andy: tell me about the big screen play pass to Ricky Jeune. What made it so successful? PJ: He was ineligible. I noticed last year in that formation if the receiver was lined up ineligible, no one would cover him. So I wondered what would happen if he took a couple of steps back and we made it a lateral. We almost screwed it up. Ricky didn't step very far back and if it was sideways, it was barely so.

A caller asked if Justin can't go Saturday, would we see TaQuon. PJ: I put Jordon in because I wanted to score, sure, but I wanted to run some clock and hold the ball. Look, Justin is gonna play Saturday.

On VT defense: They are really good again this year. They contest everything. Athletic, fast.

On VT offense: They run an offense now similar to that of UNC and Duke. Cited some impressive stats.

Andy: And yet Duke played 'em even. One of VTs few scores came on a blocked field goal run back for a touchdown. PJ: As I said last week, Duke defense is really good. I wasn't surprised by the way they played VT. [Aside: Duke doesn't recruit superstars either. Can we just copy what they do on defense?]

Somewhere near the beginning Andy and PJ rehashed the UNC game. It brought to mind the point Boomer made just after the game: if we hadn't had so many flubs on offense, we still would have probably lost, but the game could have been competitive. I don't see any way we could have won this game without ever stopping or even slowing down the offense. But we could have put up a lot more points if we hadn't had the offensive screwups.
I thought early on Saturday that the game could turn into another shoot-out like in 2013. Because of the offensive flubs that never happened.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
"Didn't line up right"

Not a damn thing to do with talent.

We as fans need to help raise more money, force the school to stop expecting to drive a Cadillac for a Kia price, and make sure our team is not coached by people totally out of their league.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We as fans need to help raise more money, force the school to stop expecting to drive a Cadillac for a Kia price, and make sure our team is not coached by people totally out of their league.

If a Kia is good enough for the King...

9452_LEBRON_JAMES_SHINES_THE_SPOTLIGHT_ON_KIA_S_FLAGSHIP_SEDAN_AS_THE_BRAND_S-626x399.jpg

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
"Didn't line up right"

Not a damn thing to do with talent.

We need to find more fans so we can get rid of some we have that only can say the same thing all the time.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
No, but we are just as big and fast as some teams that don't give up 600 yards to UNC.

THIS. I don't think we need to have the best or even one of the 20 best defenses in the country in regards to YPP or PPD...maybe just top 50? Is that really too much to ask given our talent level?

I honestly think we'd be incredibly better overall with this sort of defense.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I really do hate to be flip about it, but I still have to ask: if we know the problems after, why don't we know the problems before? For what, six or seven years now?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If the HC knows there are issues on defense, my question is this... Why does he NOT do something about it?

In his press conference yesterday, he was pretty clear that he does not plan to get more personally involved in the defense this year. Said he hired Roof to coach the D and said he is treating Roof the way he would want to be treated (letting him coach it the way he wants without interference and then making an evaluation at the end of the year). I get where he is coming from, and I sort of respect it, but he is Roof's boss and he is ultimately in charge of the entire team, including the defense. I think he needs to step in, even if it erodes trust between him and Roof. If he doesn't, it may cost him his own job.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Said he hired Roof to coach the D and said he is treating Roof the way he would want to be treated (letting him coach it the way he wants without interference and then making an evaluation at the end of the year).

This is not how a CEO thinks. Delegation without accountability is suicide.

It's one thing to set guidelines and expectations and another to not have them at all.

Telling Roof, "For our team to realize it's potential, I need the defense to demonstrate the following: metric 1, metric 2, metric ... n."

As long as he is delivering on that, sure ... leave him alone. But if he's not delivering that, CPJ must step in and help problem-solve the issue.

I really hope that he did not mean this even though he might have said it. (Or maybe he is doing it on purpose that that Ted will fail brilliantly and he can argue for a better DC.)