"From the Flats", just listened and CGC said

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Whatever helps you sleep at night genius.
Explain it then. The only way a scholarship can be taken away is grades, injury (moved to a non playing scholarship) or disciplinary issue. If you mean talking to a guy and letting him know he’s not going to play and may want to think about finding a better situation elsewhere that’s been going on at Tech forever.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Explain it then. The only way a scholarship can be taken away is grades, injury (moved to a non playing scholarship) or disciplinary issue. If you mean talking to a guy and letting him know he’s not going to play and may want to think about finding a better situation elsewhere that’s been going on at Tech forever.
How many did we over sign by? What happens if said player says he is staying regardless of the coaches opinion of them? Ok thanks.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
How many did we over sign by? What happens if said player says he is staying regardless of the coaches opinion of them? Ok thanks.
I know you've been reading along here on this thread and I strongly believe you have read replies from some here who seem to have some direct, contemporaneous and perhaps personal experience with the process, particularly in regards to walk-ons scholarships. There may be some here who are real close to this situation whereas I'll bet your experiences are not anywhere close. You are more than welcome to express your opinions on this but it's becoming clear that you ought to stop assuming that which you don't know much about.

I'll gladly express my disappointment if the truth is revealed to be closer to your beliefs but until that time, you really ought to stop.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I know you've been reading along here on this thread and I strongly believe you have read replies from some here who seem to have some direct, contemporaneous and perhaps personal experience with the process, particularly in regards to walk-ons scholarships. There may be some here who are real close to this situation whereas I'll bet your experiences are not anywhere close. You are more than welcome to express your opinions on this but it's becoming clear that you ought to stop assuming that which you don't know much about.

I'll gladly express my disappointment if the truth is revealed to be closer to your beliefs but until that time, you really ought to stop.
Last time I read, we had over signed by 13. So you're telling me 13 guys before signing day (not to mention throughout the recruiting process) went up to CGC and said "hey coach I'm not gonna be here next year"? Even if this were the case, why are we still waiting for guys to leave so we have enough spots (what is it currently 90 on the team?)

And before we get more excuses of coach is just letting them know there isn't playing time for them, I know this has been done in the past as well. But 13? It just seems like we are being more pushy about it. People beating there chest proud to run things like a factory. I would love to win, but not this way.

Then we get the other guys who say life is competition and we shouldn't be giving hand outs, then why are we agreeing to 4 year commitment as posted previously? I would be way more ok if coach said, "hey guy, we'd like to give you one to two years, but not guaranteeing you more then that" then it's more ok. But they get sold on brotherhood, family and what not, until it's not convenient for coach anymore.
I got my fair share of scholarships at Tech, and I was informed up front what it takes to keep said scholarships. If I go below the threshold for a gpa, shame on me because I knew what the agreement was. But again as pointed out above, these kids sign a 4 year LOI, not a 1-2 year try out.

It doesn't take much deduction to see what is going on here with the over signing. And if you really don't like what I'm saying, please by all means hit the ignore button. I'm not here to get anyone's blood pressure up. This is a forum to discuss a team that means a whole lot to many, myself included, so I'll express my displeasure with things I don't believe in if I wish.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Last time I read, we had over signed by 13. So you're telling me 13 guys before signing day (not to mention throughout the recruiting process) went up to CGC and said "hey coach I'm not gonna be here next year"? Even if this were the case, why are we still waiting for guys to leave so we have enough spots (what is it currently 90 on the team?)

And before we get more excuses of coach is just letting them know there isn't playing time for them, I know this has been done in the past as well. But 13? It just seems like we are being more pushy about it. People beating there chest proud to run things like a factory. I would love to win, but not this way.

Then we get the other guys who say life is competition and we shouldn't be giving hand outs, then why are we agreeing to 4 year commitment as posted previously? I would be way more ok if coach said, "hey guy, we'd like to give you one to two years, but not guaranteeing you more then that" then it's more ok. But they get sold on brotherhood, family and what not, until it's not convenient for coach anymore.
I got my fair share of scholarships at Tech, and I was informed up front what it takes to keep said scholarships. If I go below the threshold for a gpa, shame on me because I knew what the agreement was. But again as pointed out above, these kids sign a 4 year LOI, not a 1-2 year try out.

It doesn't take much deduction to see what is going on here with the over signing. And if you really don't like what I'm saying, please by all means hit the ignore button. I'm not here to get anyone's blood pressure up. This is a forum to discuss a team that means a whole lot to many, myself included, so I'll express my displeasure with things I don't believe in if I wish.
Still don’t think you understand one specific point. That being for ALL P5 schools scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years. That’s not what I think we do or hope we do or that only Tech does. It’s an agreement from all P5 schools. Now I get the thinking around how we get to the final number and what might be going on between coaches and players but we CANNOT pull someone’s scholarship. BTW there is leeway given to new staffs to offer non athletic scholarships so guys can stay in school but be off the team. I’m not clear how many or for how long.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Still don’t think you understand one specific point. That being for ALL P5 schools scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years. That’s not what I think we do or hope we do or that only Tech does. It’s an agreement from all P5 schools. Now I get the thinking around how we get to the final number and what might be going on between coaches and players but we CANNOT pull someone’s scholarship. BTW there is leeway given to new staffs to offer non athletic scholarships so guys can stay in school but be off the team. I’m not clear how many or for how long.
No I understand it. By pulling I'm addressing the issue of strongly pushing a kid off of a team as we have discussed above. Referring to it a pulling a scholarship is an exaggeration on my part in the technical sense, but it's more or less the same as it results in the same outcome.

If they at least get some kind of scholarship to remain in school makes it a little better, but the practice of running a kid off is a big no no in my book.

I can see I'm out numbered on this board, however, with all the people hyped up on "roster management". Again I think it's slimy as I have pointed out in my post above. Makes us no better than uga or ua. I'll end with this, a guarantee of 4 years is not entitlement, it's a a legally binding agreement as long as the SA is in good standing according to the signed contract (This is not directed at you ncjacket, I've just seen the comment I'm addressing here used by several people lately to make themselves feel better about what's going on here).

Last edited:

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of these kids are graduating with eligibility remaining. Others, being bright Tech men, will be able to assess/re-assess their playing time prospects following spring practice, and may wish to transfer to improve their football prospects. Some may seek coaches input before deciding. I would imagine that upperclassmen not recruited for our new offense might be most vulnerable to a bad fit, below the line outlook. IMHO assuming that our coaches are running people off a la some well known SEC schools, is speculation at this point and does nothing good for Tech.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
All of this is speculation. I have yet to see any proof that the coaching staff has pulled any scholarships. Having conversations about future playing prospects is what any good coaching staff should do. Making accusations without proof is not good for anyone.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Some of these kids are graduating with eligibility remaining. Others, being bright Tech men, will be able to assess/re-assess their playing time prospects following spring practice, and may wish to transfer to improve their football prospects. Some may seek coaches input before deciding. I would imagine that upperclassmen not recruited for our new offense might be most vulnerable to a bad fit, below the line outlook. IMHO assuming that our coaches are running people off a la some well known SEC schools, is speculation at this point and does nothing good for Tech.
Hope this is the case, but still doesn't address if these guys who are in the fence decide they want to stay.
And in this case, we should see less over signing once this staff gets the players that for their system or whatever. One or two extra players per period is smart since each year it seems we always lose a couple of guys for whatever legitimate reason.