From a student’s perspective

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
To those of you upset with the student attendance and referencing your days at tech when the student section was full, you have to understand the difference in Tech’s demographics between now and then. The typical GT student nowadays isn’t that into football. This is a result of the Institute accepting more out of state and international students. Tech has become more and more diverse over the years, and it’s a truly wonderful thing to see as a student. There’s so many unique perspectives on campus, and it’s helped Tech become a world leader. While this has helped the school elevate itself as a premier academic institution, it’s suffered a side effect of less passionate fans who aren’t as die hard about the team we love. I wish I could convince all my friends to come to these games. It’s just a really REALLY tough sell. But you better believe students like myself and others around me will be in the student section from kickoff to final whistle every game.

Tech demographics are that 60% of the student population are from in state (GA) ... which is higher than Alabama and about the same as Auburn.

So we’re 2-6, our offense is anemic, our play calling is questionable, we have no reliable kicking game, and luck doesn’t ever seem to bounce our way this year (with the exception of Miami). There’s plenty of reasons to be upset with the way the season is going, but being upset with the current state of our program and coming on this site to disparage Collins is not the correct mindset to have during this rebuild.

I’m a 3rd year student and diehard follow of the program. I’ve seen firsthand the buzz on campus about this team on a day-to-day basis that doesn’t even come close to what it was like my first two years with CPJ at the helm (no disrespect to him, CPJ was great in his own way). But from strictly an excitement point of view, Collins has done what I thought was impossible: excite current GT students about football. Last year, we were a win away from playing in the ACC championship, and students here couldn’t have cared less. Collins has done an outstanding job of jumpstarting a program that was on life support with its own students.

Everything I’ve said so far should be apparent to most people, but now let’s talk about results on the field. It sucks that we suck this year. But if we make 3-4 more plays in that Pitt game, our acc championship hopes would be alive going into the 10th week of the season. Collins and co have proven to make some questionable decisions when it comes to play calling, game management, and personnel on the field, but we have to keep in mind that the coaching staff is working with players that are simply not going to compete at an elite level this year. The missed passes, dropped catches, and blown assignments hurt to watch, but once Collins’ recruits come in and fill those holes, this program is going to take off. The staff is trying to be as creative as possible to squeak out wins with the current talent they have, and i think if you look at it like that, Collins has done at outstanding job.

As a student here, I couldn’t be happier with the progress we’ve made this year. Earlier on, I was one of those ignorant fools who thought we’d win 6+ games in 2019, and even though I was way off, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how hard the players fight every game, and how supportive most students have been during the rebuild. Hopefully during my 5th (maybe 6th) year at GT, Collins will be fielding a team that can go out there and be a top 10-15 program, and continue that success into the future. My message to all of you is this: stay positive, continue to give your support, and know that Collins is instilling real change at this Institute.
So where were all the students yesterday for Homecoming? That's the lowest student-attended Homecoming game I have ever seen.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Alabama has student attendance issues too, they’re just a larger university and are selling a much better product.

No question. TOTAL support for sports is increasing ... but Alabama has relatively low in state attendance and it’s a problem. The good news is that Bama could EASILY sell those seats to the public.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
according to Ga Tech you would be wrong. 2018 Homecoming attendance was 41709. 2019 Homecoming was 41219. last I checked 41709>41219.

Hard to say. Tech published paid attendance, but actual attendance is harder to come by.

Are your figure paid or actual?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

GTFLETCH

Banned
We had more fans for homecoming this year when we were 2-5 then last year when we were on a multiple game winning streak.
The announced attendance of 41,219 was beneath the attendance for last year’s homecoming game, an October 13 loss to Duke, when attendance was 41,709. That figure was the lowest for a homecoming game since 1994, when homecoming was celebrated on the second-to-last game of a season in which coach Bill Lewis was fired the previous week.

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/notes-from-georgia-tech-loss-pittsburgh/Dl8wWdOpwJFW8sP8U8b79I/

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The announced attendance of 41,219 was beneath the attendance for last year’s homecoming game, an October 13 loss to Duke, when attendance was 41,709. That figure was the lowest for a homecoming game since 1994, when homecoming was celebrated on the second-to-last game of a season in which coach Bill Lewis was fired the previous week.

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/notes-from-georgia-tech-loss-pittsburgh/Dl8wWdOpwJFW8sP8U8b79I/
Yep y’all are right I was thinking UVA was homecoming last year

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So where were all the students yesterday for Homecoming? That's the lowest student-attended Homecoming game I have ever seen.
Declining student attendance is not an issue unique to Tech. Look at places like Alabama, Auburn, FSU, Arkansas, Baylor, Wisconsin, etc. Places that have as great traditions and teams in the national picture, but the student sections still aren’t full. Illinois students piled out of the stadium before they went on to beat #6 Wisconsin. Live attendance in sports is declining across the board, in college and pro sports. I suggest some of you look at the twitter page @emptyseatspics and you’ll probably be surprised that Tech’s attendance matches up pretty well to teams you would never expect them to. By the way. Here’s a picture of Arkansas’ homecoming crowd. Maybe it will put it in perspective to you

GTFLETCH

Banned
Declining student attendance is not an issue unique to Tech. Look at places like Alabama, Auburn, FSU, Arkansas, Baylor, Wisconsin, etc. Places that have as great traditions and teams in the national picture, but the student sections still aren’t full. Illinois students piled out of the stadium before they went on to beat #6 Wisconsin. Live attendance in sports is declining across the board, in college and pro sports. I suggest some of you look at the twitter page @emptyseatspics and you’ll probably be surprised that Tech’s attendance matches up pretty well to teams you would never expect them to. By the way. Here’s a picture of Arkansas’ homecoming crowd. Maybe it will put it in perspective to you

Arkansas has sucked since Bobby P left.... this is where we are headed under CGC.... We need to find the next George Oleary and fast!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So we’re 2-6, our offense is anemic, our play calling is questionable, we have no reliable kicking game, and luck doesn’t ever seem to bounce our way this year (with the exception of Miami). There’s plenty of reasons to be upset with the way the season is going, but being upset with the current state of our program and coming on this site to disparage Collins is not the correct mindset to have during this rebuild.

I’m a 3rd year student and diehard follow of the program. I’ve seen firsthand the buzz on campus about this team on a day-to-day basis that doesn’t even come close to what it was like my first two years with CPJ at the helm (no disrespect to him, CPJ was great in his own way). But from strictly an excitement point of view, Collins has done what I thought was impossible: excite current GT students about football. Last year, we were a win away from playing in the ACC championship, and students here couldn’t have cared less. Collins has done an outstanding job of jumpstarting a program that was on life support with its own students.

Everything I’ve said so far should be apparent to most people, but now let’s talk about results on the field. It sucks that we suck this year. But if we make 3-4 more plays in that Pitt game, our acc championship hopes would be alive going into the 10th week of the season. Collins and co have proven to make some questionable decisions when it comes to play calling, game management, and personnel on the field, but we have to keep in mind that the coaching staff is working with players that are simply not going to compete at an elite level this year. The missed passes, dropped catches, and blown assignments hurt to watch, but once Collins’ recruits come in and fill those holes, this program is going to take off. The staff is trying to be as creative as possible to squeak out wins with the current talent they have, and i think if you look at it like that, Collins has done at outstanding job.

As a student here, I couldn’t be happier with the progress we’ve made this year. Earlier on, I was one of those ignorant fools who thought we’d win 6+ games in 2019, and even though I was way off, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how hard the players fight every game, and how supportive most students have been during the rebuild. Hopefully during my 5th (maybe 6th) year at GT, Collins will be fielding a team that can go out there and be a top 10-15 program, and continue that success into the future. My message to all of you is this: stay positive, continue to give your support, and know that Collins is instilling real change at this Institute.
First, thank you for your post and your enthusiasm for the football program at GT.

You will find these Message Boards become much more pleasant if you choose to use the Ignore button when certain posters become too much to bear...I rarely use it, but when I do I find life is much more pleasant. :)

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
I am glad you are happy, however the empty seats in the student section would indicate that not all other Tech students agree witrh you! It is a sad time on the FLATS as Coach Geoff Collins & basketball Coach Josh Pastner both suck! Thank goodness for the ACC network and teh monies the school will get as that will help cover the cost from money lost from poor attendance....

Not sure what they are on about, Student section on the band side was full and loud all game. Maybe the other end zone was thin but Stansbury already said he wants to combine the student sections.

I was in 102 and i could the the student section was packed.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Arkansas has sucked since Bobby P left.... this is where we are headed under CGC.... We need to find the next George Oleary and fast!

Winning fixes attendance. That scene is typical with any program including Auburn and UGAG.

This myth that those programs show up full force even in down years is BS.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We got off track a little bit fellas. Moral of the story here is that there are a lot of students on campus engaged and passionate about GT football. We as students can feel the shift, and I for one think we’re a few years away from greatness

Define “a lot”.

When I was in school, we had flash cards. Drunk students, but high attendance. I would say student attendance today is embarrassingly bad.