From a student’s perspective

GTonFowlerSt

Georgia Tech Fan
So we’re 2-6, our offense is anemic, our play calling is questionable, we have no reliable kicking game, and luck doesn’t ever seem to bounce our way this year (with the exception of Miami). There’s plenty of reasons to be upset with the way the season is going, but being upset with the current state of our program and coming on this site to disparage Collins is not the correct mindset to have during this rebuild.

I’m a 3rd year student and diehard follow of the program. I’ve seen firsthand the buzz on campus about this team on a day-to-day basis that doesn’t even come close to what it was like my first two years with CPJ at the helm (no disrespect to him, CPJ was great in his own way). But from strictly an excitement point of view, Collins has done what I thought was impossible: excite current GT students about football. Last year, we were a win away from playing in the ACC championship, and students here couldn’t have cared less. Collins has done an outstanding job of jumpstarting a program that was on life support with its own students.

Everything I’ve said so far should be apparent to most people, but now let’s talk about results on the field. It sucks that we suck this year. But if we make 3-4 more plays in that Pitt game, our acc championship hopes would be alive going into the 10th week of the season. Collins and co have proven to make some questionable decisions when it comes to play calling, game management, and personnel on the field, but we have to keep in mind that the coaching staff is working with players that are simply not going to compete at an elite level this year. The missed passes, dropped catches, and blown assignments hurt to watch, but once Collins’ recruits come in and fill those holes, this program is going to take off. The staff is trying to be as creative as possible to squeak out wins with the current talent they have, and i think if you look at it like that, Collins has done at outstanding job.

As a student here, I couldn’t be happier with the progress we’ve made this year. Earlier on, I was one of those ignorant fools who thought we’d win 6+ games in 2019, and even though I was way off, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how hard the players fight every game, and how supportive most students have been during the rebuild. Hopefully during my 5th (maybe 6th) year at GT, Collins will be fielding a team that can go out there and be a top 10-15 program, and continue that success into the future. My message to all of you is this: stay positive, continue to give your support, and know that Collins is instilling real change at this Institute.

Swarm_764

Georgia Tech Fan
Would like to second the above post. I'm a 4th year at GT that is relatively new to the board, and am one of the rare students here that actually grew up a Tech fan (My father and Grandfather are both proud graduates of the Institute). This year, it seems like the energy and excitement out of Coach Collins has changed the way our student body cares about our players and this team. Almost all that pay attention are bought into the rebuild and excited for what the future holds.

Now if only I could say the same about our basketball program...

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
So we’re 2-6, our offense is anemic, our play calling is questionable, we have no reliable kicking game, and luck doesn’t ever seem to bounce our way this year (with the exception of Miami). There’s plenty of reasons to be upset with the way the season is going, but being upset with the current state of our program and coming on this site to disparage Collins is not the correct mindset to have during this rebuild.

I’m a 3rd year student and diehard follow of the program. I’ve seen firsthand the buzz on campus about this team on a day-to-day basis that doesn’t even come close to what it was like my first two years with CPJ at the helm (no disrespect to him, CPJ was great in his own way). But from strictly an excitement point of view, Collins has done what I thought was impossible: excite current GT students about football. Last year, we were a win away from playing in the ACC championship, and students here couldn’t have cared less. Collins has done an outstanding job of jumpstarting a program that was on life support with its own students.

Everything I’ve said so far should be apparent to most people, but now let’s talk about results on the field. It sucks that we suck this year. But if we make 3-4 more plays in that Pitt game, our acc championship hopes would be alive going into the 10th week of the season. Collins and co have proven to make some questionable decisions when it comes to play calling, game management, and personnel on the field, but we have to keep in mind that the coaching staff is working with players that are simply not going to compete at an elite level this year. The missed passes, dropped catches, and blown assignments hurt to watch, but once Collins’ recruits come in and fill those holes, this program is going to take off. The staff is trying to be as creative as possible to squeak out wins with the current talent they have, and i think if you look at it like that, Collins has done at outstanding job.

As a student here, I couldn’t be happier with the progress we’ve made this year. Earlier on, I was one of those ignorant fools who thought we’d win 6+ games in 2019, and even though I was way off, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how hard the players fight every game, and how supportive most students have been during the rebuild. Hopefully during my 5th (maybe 6th) year at GT, Collins will be fielding a team that can go out there and be a top 10-15 program, and continue that success into the future. My message to all of you is this: stay positive, continue to give your support, and know that Collins is instilling real change at this Institute.

Keep showing up. Keep being loud. A good gameday atmosphere starts with the student section.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would trust my son to come play for GC and this staff because of how he runs the program and how he cares about the kids. Now does he have the mojo to be a top twenty coach, that remains to be seen.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Would like to second the above post. I'm a 4th year at GT that is relatively new to the board, and am one of the rare students here that actually grew up a Tech fan (My father and Grandfather are both proud graduates of the Institute). This year, it seems like the energy and excitement out of Coach Collins has changed the way our student body cares about our players and this team. Almost all that pay attention are bought into the rebuild and excited for what the future holds.

Now if only I could say the same about our basketball program...

I’m curious as to why students wouldn’t be excited about this year’s basketball team?

GTFLETCH

Banned
I am glad you are happy, however the empty seats in the student section would indicate that not all other Tech students agree witrh you! It is a sad time on the FLATS as Coach Geoff Collins & basketball Coach Josh Pastner both suck! Thank goodness for the ACC network and teh monies the school will get as that will help cover the cost from money lost from poor attendance....

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am glad you are happy, however the empty seats in the student section would indicate that not all other Tech students agree witrh you! It is a sad time on the FLATS as Coach Geoff Collins & basketball Coach Josh Pastner both suck! Thank goodness for the ACC network and teh monies the school will get as that will help cover the cost from money lost from poor attendance....
When I was a student we had about 6500 students on campus. The student sections were full. Back then we had to get date tickets since we only had about 100 coed's on campus but we came to the games. Sat on the east side. Seniors were upper east and on the 40. Grad students one section over.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
What I saw yesterday with the stands was no different from when I was at Tech during CPJs first few years. It's been a common problem for years .

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Harsh.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Thank you for bringing this perspective.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We had more fans for homecoming this year when we were 2-5 then last year when we were on a multiple game winning streak.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Glad to hear from a student Y'all are the new blood Tech will need. Please continue to support the coaches and player no matter what us old farts say ( and I know I'm one) . We are just old and running out of time.
Glad to see GT students posting on here. They have a lot to contribute and good to read their views.
I'd also like to say to them...stay off my lawn.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I’ll toot my opinion from my seats at Auburn, since I teach here now.

First, every weekend is slammed with people. Grandparents, parents, current students and babies who will be students stroll the streets. Bars are full until 4am, and it’s not just students. The entire environment screams “support the team”.

There’s a section reserved for faculty and it’s ticketed via lottery.

Compare that to Tech. From my seats in 107, I can look out over most of the lower West and probably know half of the ticket holders. And when they’re gone ... there’s no one coming up to replace them.

That we are the largest media market in the number one basketball conference in the country and stink ... is just unbelievable to me.

I wish we promoted sports more as part of a Total Person concept, but Tech today delivers $1B a year through research. That’s the priority. And it’s not going to get better.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Techs attendence issue is largely an issue with being in a large city with a lot to do, and a good amount of the student body that franklyndoes not care about sports and rather study. That's been an issue for a while. And we just don't have a huge sidewalk fan base
Go to Athens or Clemson during.game day, the entire area is absorbed in the game environment

GTonFowlerSt

Georgia Tech Fan
To those of you upset with the student attendance and referencing your days at tech when the student section was full, you have to understand the difference in Tech’s demographics between now and then. The typical GT student nowadays isn’t that into football. This is a result of the Institute accepting more out of state and international students. Tech has become more and more diverse over the years, and it’s a truly wonderful thing to see as a student. There’s so many unique perspectives on campus, and it’s helped Tech become a world leader. While this has helped the school elevate itself as a premier academic institution, it’s suffered a side effect of less passionate fans who aren’t as die hard about the team we love. I wish I could convince all my friends to come to these games. It’s just a really REALLY tough sell. But you better believe students like myself and others around me will be in the student section from kickoff to final whistle every game.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Techs attendence issue is largely an issue with being in a large city with a lot to do, and a good amount of the student body that franklyndoes not care about sports and rather study. That's been an issue for a while. And we just don't have a huge sidewalk fan base
Go to Athens or Clemson during.game day, the entire area is absorbed in the game environment

And here’s the rub. Mercer, which restarted its program, has included the local community in its efforts. Bars, restaurants, etc ... all student oriented towards the sports programs.

Tech needs to engage the areas within 1 mile of campus and make them part of the Tech Experience.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
To those of you upset with the student attendance and referencing your days at tech when the student section was full, you have to understand the difference in Tech’s demographics between now and then. The typical GT student nowadays isn’t that into football. This is a result of the Institute accepting more out of state and international students. Tech has become more and more diverse over the years, and it’s a truly wonderful thing to see as a student. There’s so many unique perspectives on campus, and it’s helped Tech become a world leader. While this has helped the school elevate itself as a premier academic institution, it’s suffered a side effect of less passionate fans who aren’t as die hard about the team we love. I wish I could convince all my friends to come to these games. It’s just a really REALLY tough sell. But you better believe students like myself and others around me will be in the student section from kickoff to final whistle every game.
Not sure what they are on about, Student section on the band side was full and loud all game. Maybe the other end zone was thin but Stansbury already said he wants to combine the student sections.