Friends, let's talk about our Football Coach

Not gonna drink that Kool Aid.
Please provide consistent 10 win seasons and I'll concede. I like CPJ enough he's not without questioning, and I still have some issues I'd like to see adjusted.
I predicted 8-4. With this schedule 8-4 seemed reasonable. I'm still disappointed with the losses to Duke & UNC.
Anything less than 8-4 and would have liked to see him removed. We on track for 8-4 with one more win so I'm cool with him being extended. A win over UGA and/or Clemson and I'd personally drive to his house with the contract.
Has any coach since Dodd provided that kind of seasons on a consistent basis? Nope. Ross had one, O'Leary had one, and Johnson has had one. Granted we played less games in a season for many of those years, but even so, we still didn't have that high a percentage of wins on anywhere near a consistent basis. That tells me that Johnson is as good as all the others we have had.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Has any coach since Dodd provided that kind of seasons on a consistent basis? Nope. Ross had one, O'Leary had one, and Johnson has had one. Granted we played less games in a season for many of those years, but even so, we still didn't have that high a percentage of wins on anywhere near a consistent basis. That tells me that Johnson is as good as all the others we have had.

Well that's good but why settle when you can have more.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@dressedcheeseside @Supersizethatorder-mutt
Does that mean we have to wait a decade to see a consistent winner from a coach?
Again I'm not saying fire CPJ or that I don't like him. I'm just not ready to crown him king and celebrate 8-4.
I'm ready for a winner I'm tired of mediocre.
I like to look at the big picture not just final records in my evaluation. Yes, final record is important, but it's not the only thing to consider, even after so many years. Is the program trending upward? That's the big question and I think it is looking at several metrics, not just one.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Why ask for One Million when you can ask for

images

@dressedcheeseside @Supersizethatorder-mutt
Does that mean we have to wait a decade to see a consistent winner from a coach?
Again I'm not saying fire CPJ or that I don't like him. I'm just not ready to crown him king and celebrate 8-4.
I'm ready for a winner I'm tired of mediocre.
Actually, Johnson is pretty consistent already. He has had one losing season, and even that one had 13 games in it. That's a helluva lot more consistent than you can say for any other coach since Dodd. To be fair, though, Gailey never had even one losing season; but he was definitely mediocre.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
What you're failing to account for Super is the difference in how recruiting budgets are funded vs. infrastructure improvements. It's one thing to be able to go to the alumni and generate one-time donations for big infrastructure projects like McCamish Pavilion or the indoor practice facility. Adding staff requires income that can be counted on on a yearly basis. As we shed the contracts of Hewitt and Gailey, that income will better allow for more staffing of recruiting and/or better pay for assistant coaches.

DRad was an excellent AD when it came to generating the donations to rebuild infrastructure, and our campus, and recruiting because of it, has been improved.

Plus, he hired CPJ.
This. DRad did some good stuff here and him leaving was a great thing too! We didn't have to deal with several more years under a building-focused AD. He made his impact and left, allowing us to get a football-minded Bobinski. Not too shabby.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I would like us to go ahead and tryto get some of theses coaches signed on for a few years and just see what they can do. I would not be surprised with a conference championship or two. We are only a couple of players away from being 9-0 now. And the sad thing is both of them could possible be here just no eligible to play.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Well that's good but why settle when you can have more.

Why do you think you can have more?

What leads you to believe that Georgia Tech can, in 2014 compete for national titles while doing things the same way that the power schools do?

I've said this on other boards, but your fanbase has been spoiled by a run of consecutive good coaches. Some of you believe that 7-5 is not an accomplishment at your school.

It is. By rights, with your academic restrictions, you have no reason to expect better results than Northwestern, or Duke. Duke has had "regular" coaches, so now that they have an excellent one, they appreciate it. I think that maybe your fanbase would have benefitted from ONE miss in coaching hires, so you could appreciate what you have, and have had.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Why do you think you can have more?

What leads you to believe that Georgia Tech can, in 2014 compete for national titles while doing things the same way that the power schools do?

I've said this on other boards, but your fanbase has been spoiled by a run of consecutive good coaches. Some of you believe that 7-5 is not an accomplishment at your school.

It is. By rights, with your academic restrictions, you have no reason to expect better results than Northwestern, or Duke. Duke has had "regular" coaches, so now that they have an excellent one, they appreciate it. I think that maybe your fanbase would have benefitted from ONE miss in coaching hires, so you could appreciate what you have, and have had.

We had one, he who shall not be named, but I think it was too long ago for most fans to remember.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Most Tech fans are high achievers and demand that from their football team. The big difference is the playing field was most likely level for them in their particular path to success. Nothing was probably handed to them, but they probably didn't have both hands and feet tied behind their backs, either. Now consider our football program.... both hands and feet are tied.

It's ok to demand/expect excellence, just temper it with proper perspective. Even Usain Bolt starts each race even with the rest of the field.