Friends, let's talk about our Football Coach

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I happily eat a ton of crow. I wanted CPJ gone last year but this team just won 9 games. I may not be a complete fan of his O but results are results and just win baby.

The win over Clemson has sealed his extension.
Don't know if it's necessary to eat a ton of crow ATL1... maybe a couple bites... but I agree, though there have been some frustrating moments, the program is moving upward and we seem organizationally sound...that is a major factor for sustained success that sometimes is overlooked.

Proud of this group.. very optimistic about the future!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Big time win today playing big boy football.... Don't let ANYBODY try to downgrade this effort today with any kind of "well our QB got hurt" BS.

Clemson is loaded with 4-5 star talent top to bottom.... they got out coached by our staff and out played by our players. Period.

Dominating performance by the defense... whatever direction Coach Johnson gave after the UNC game, it was spot on.... rarely have I seen a team get so much out of a group that was greatly depleted in the off-season.

Thank you all coaches and players for the way you represented us today and all season, including the two loses!!

during my the walk back to the car and listening to the post game show, Roddy Jones basically made the exact same point about the "talent" level when it comes to head count on the team. One player out for them should not have made that much of a difference.

Our team played well and WON!!!

Look forward to a joyous ride home from Athens in two weeks :)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well I happily eat a ton of crow. I wanted CPJ gone last year but this team just won 9 games. I may not be a complete fan of his O but results are results and just win baby.

The win over Clemson has sealed his extension.
CPJ may have just reached the unattainable... An ATL1 approval. :nailbiting:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's a scenario GT fans haven't brought up: What if CPJ gets courted by other programs? Programs will take notice of what CPJ is doing with this team, and let's face it, CPJ could be tired of dealing with the GT's "quirks" that he wouldn't have to deal with at other places. I've gotta believe if GT/Bobinski doesn't step up at the end of the year, CPJ would be receptive to looking into other opportunities.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Here's a scenario GT fans haven't brought up: What if CPJ gets courted by other programs? Programs will take notice of what CPJ is doing with this team, and let's face it, CPJ could be tired of dealing with the GT's "quirks" that he wouldn't have to deal with at other places. I've gotta believe if GT/Bobinski doesn't step up at the end of the year, CPJ would be receptive to looking into other opportunities.

This is a real scenario.

MBob will have to step up.

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope he doesn't resent all you jerks and doubters who put him on hot seat after we won just 7. If he leaves it will be your fault. We should have extended him already, before this season. We need to keep him at all costs.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I hope he doesn't resent all you jerks and doubters who put him on hot seat after we won just 7. If he leaves it will be your fault. We should have extended him already, before this season. We need to keep him at all costs.
I don't think he should have gotten an extension prior to this year. But I do agree that the alumni and fan interference in the form of vocal unrest (booing Tevin for one) through to causing a postseason incident of rumors saying CPJ wouldn't care if the alums wanted to pony up and buy him out were unreasonable when they have occurred over the last few seasons. Like Joe Ham said don't air out the dirty laundry.

Losing very close, and several OT, games really really hurts worse emotionally for a fan. But they also cause a serious lack of perspective from fans as well. The program may have been treading water for 3-4 years in overall results but they were typically competitive in every game and losing heart-breakers. They also kept the bowl streak alive and were slowly showing progress in various other factors of program health. I think that the negative fans seriously tricked themselves by the 08-09 years of immediate success. The 4 after that were the years where CPJ got to actually begin to build a program and eventually get a chance this year to demonstrate that he could do such at Tech. Now with actual signs of the capability to improve defensive performance and make needed adjustments and the improvements in recruiting and so forth then sure CPJ should be safe from highly agitated fan criticism. Still wait until the regular season ends for any kind of contract negotiations/extensions though, imo. Coach is just to busy now to have a sit down like that with Bobinski.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On Fan Day when it was my turn to get CPJ's autograph, just trying to be encouraging, I said "Coach I got your back this year, if anybody gives you a hard time, I'll jump on'em!" He looked up, chuckled, and said "Thanks, I'm glad somebody does, I was beginning to wonder".

If you like CPJ and want him to stay at Georgia Tech - tell him! If you appreciate what he's done - tell him!! I love you Tech guys, but you have a tendency to over anal - ize everything. A guy in line next to me in my Navy boot camp physical turned to me and said "You know there is no dignity, when one is peering up your rectum". Stop peering up CPJ's rectum and be a loyal fan.

Cheesehead Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I guess in some ways being a long time ( 40+ years ) alum and fan gives me a little perspective. Those of us " oldtimers " have been through a lot with our team.....Pepper Rodgers, Bud Carson, Bill Lewis , Bill Curry , as well as the more recent ones. We know college football has changed, not always necessarily for the better. For the " big " programs it's become a business to generate revenue . In many instances they " employ " athlete/students to hopefully get the results they have chosen to strive for. I like our situation so much more. I have no doubt our players are student/athletes. They have the tremendous opportunity to get a world class education if they take advantage of it. Some players we have recruited
( Myles Autry comes to mind ) , probably realized this was not the right situation for them academically. That's okay, I wish him nothing but the best wherever he goes, but Tech is not a good fit for him. Coach Johnson is now getting the type of student/ athlete he wants. A guy who takes care of his schoolwork and buys into the system. I think he is the happiest he has been since he got here. Will we be outgunned in many games ? You bet we will. In two weeks , if the stars align just right , we just might pull off a huge upset. But you know what ? Even if we don't, I will be proud of this team and everything they will have accomplished athletically and also in the classroom. I will still be damn proud to be a YELLOW JACKET and will not want to be a UGA fan, no matter how many times in a row they beat us.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coach Johnson is now getting the type of student/ athlete he wants. A guy who takes care of his schoolwork and buys into the system. I think he is the happiest he has been since he got here. Will we be outgunned in many games ? You bet we will. In two weeks , if the stars align just right , we just might pull off a huge upset. But you know what ? Even if we don't, I will be proud of this team and everything they will have accomplished athletically and also in the classroom. I will still be damn proud to be a YELLOW JACKET and will not want to be a UGA fan, no matter how many times in a row they beat us.

Yesterday my wife and I parked in the student center lot. After the game we walked over to the bookstore. I don't know how long we were there bout on the walk back to the car we passed by the stadium about the same time as some of the players were leaving. We are never at the stadium that late usually.Got a chance to speak with several of them - Gotsis, Laskey, Days and Smelter come to mind. Very well spoken men and quality representatives of the Institute. i told them, as a fan of close to 40 years, this team was one of my favorites as I have seen few improve from week to week over the season as much as this one has.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday my wife and I parked in the student center lot. After the game we walked over to the bookstore. I don't know how long we were there bout on the walk back to the car we passed by the stadium about the same time as some of the players were leaving. We are never at the stadium that late usually.Got a chance to speak with several of them - Gotsis, Laskey, Days and Smelter come to mind. Very well spoken men and quality representatives of the Institute. i told them, as a fan of close to 40 years, this team was one of my favorites as I have seen few improve from week to week over the season as much as this one has.

And then you said, "Now your preseason is over," right?