Freshmen who have won big games for GT

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking/wondering if we have any freshmen on the roster who are capable of taking over a game on the national stage we are about to step onto.

Since 1980, I can recall only two times where a freshman took over a game for us on a national stage:

1981 - On the road against #1 ranked Alabama: Freshman Robert Lavette who still owns many of our rushing records, ran thru the teeth of Alabama's defense - the Tide simply could not tackle the guy. Down 21-17, Lavette methodically picked his way thru what seemed like 11 defenders to score the winning TD with under 2 min left in the game.

2004 - Freshman Calvin Johnson hauls in three TD receptions including the game winner with 16 seconds left to seal a win over nationally ranked Clemson at Death Valley.

Players like that don't come along every day. If we do have such a player on our roster, this Saturday would be an excellent opportunity for him to put his name next to two of the best freshmen ever to suit up for the Ramblin Wreck.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we have a freshman as dynamic as Lavette or CJ, but I believe Qua and TM have game breaking ability. We've glimpsed it so far, but I believe their ability to make plays in space, whether the blocking is there or not, and to make plays in the passing game, are going to become keys for us this year. Obviously, MM is talented, and will have big moments, but we've always been ok at BB. Having athletes like 1 and 16 out there at AB is VERY exciting.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I know he is on defense, but don't count AJ Gray out from this list yet. The season is not over. He has a great job on special teams, excellent back-up at safety. The future opponents will allow him to rise up even more to the level of that competition.

As we already have realized, next man up is one ankle or knee away.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we have a freshman as dynamic as Lavette or CJ, but I believe Qua and TM have game breaking ability. We've glimpsed it so far, but I believe their ability to make plays in space, whether the blocking is there or not, and to make plays in the passing game, are going to become keys for us this year. Obviously, MM is talented, and will have big moments, but we've always been ok at BB. Having athletes like 1 and 16 out there at AB is VERY exciting.
I hope we run several option pitches to the BB, M Marshall as well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to take the game over from AB. I say MM. He has the ability and he plays a position that could see the ball a bunch.

If he does show up big - national TV and is big part of victory over ND, recruiting top tier - running backs will be a lot easier . We really need a break out rb.