Francis Kallon MVP!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
What is a tropical bowl?

Sorry. It was a hanging curve ball...I had to take the swing...
231540-Tropical-Fruit-Bowl.jpg

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Too bad that whoever wrote that apparently doesn't realize that "has been dominate" is incorrect and should be "has been dominant". (OK call me the grammar Nazi....LOL) But thanks for posting it. Good info.

The incorrect usage of "dominate" for "dominant" is one of those that just really bothers me, along with "loose" for "lose" and "bias" for "biased". I have no idea why these particular misuses have propagated so far, but these are the ones I see the most and they drive me guano crazy!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Francis is another guy like Terrell Lewis whose disappearance from pt just perplexed me.

Does it? Really. Does it? It doesnt for me.

Folks. One common theme with roof and groh D even though they used different fronts BOTH schemes teach and ask their DL to occupy. They dont ask them to be purely disruptive like tenuta or possible what kallon was asked to do in the bowl.

I will get dry mouth from saying it. Our talent on D is better than our results. Is it clemson. No. but its better. And a big issue is simply scheme. What we run was really really standard in 1990. Today you just see less of it. D is more complex now and asks positions to have more variables in assignments and scheme

The incorrect usage of "dominate" for "dominant" is one of those that just really bothers me, along with "loose" for "lose" and "bias" for "biased". I have no idea why these particular misuses have propagated so far, but these are the ones I see the most and they drive me guano crazy!
Don't forget the confusion (or ignorance) over the proper use of "their", "there", and "they're". Those bug the hell out of me.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Says he played DE, which is why I think he shined in the game. Imagine a 6'-5", 294 lb DE that can move. I know why he played DT for us (had to?), but what a shame! He really could have been dominant.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Since we're all grammar all the time today …

I register again my complaint about the use of the word dominance in all its forms in sports news. Sports are games, not sado-masochistic relationships. The usage used to be "outplayed" or "overmatched", both of which make excellent sense. You found yourself up against better athletes and/or coaches and you lost badly. That doesn't mean you have been trampled to the dust or anything like that, just that you couldn't match up with the other side this time. Maybe next year!

Imho, all this "dominance" talk also contributes to the unsportsmanlike way teams pile on the points these days. One of the things I really like about Coach is that he never does this on purpose (sometimes it happens anyway due to the bounce of the ball). He plays to win, nothing more or less. The last quarter of the VT game is a fine example. Most coaches would have told their hands team to go for the gold if the chance presented itself. Coach told his guys to down the ball so that we could end the game. Hence MJ going down on a knee when he had a clear shot at the end zone. I know this upsets some people since the rankings tend to be based on how badly you beat other teams. Personally, I don't want a ranking based on unsportsmanlike play.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I love Kallon and am glad we had him. I hope he does well at the next level. With that said, neither of those sacks were anything special. One the qb was already going down, and the other was from pressure on the other side putting the qb in a bad spot.

We have sadly been putting a lot of "natural" de's at the tackle position due to missing on our dt picks. I long for the day when our dl is a force to be reckoned with.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have sadly been putting a lot of "natural" de's at the tackle position due to missing on our dt picks. I long for the day when our dl is a force to be reckoned with.
In the last 5 years we have signed 8 DT's and that includes Gamble and Gostis as DT's (If you count them as true DE's then we only signed 6 in the last 5 years). 9 if you count Kallon, but he came in as a DE and moved. 1 was dismissed (Commissiong), 1 switched positions (S. Morgan). All the rest either worked out or are too young to know right now.

My take: true DT's that are worth a squat are hard to come by.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Kallon is just one more. There's a growing list of guys who struggled at Tech only to have success at the next level.
Let me preface this by saying I mean no disrespect to your comment or our student athletes, but I'm not sure our defensive lineman from the CPJ era have had a ton of success at the next level. The obvious one we all knew about was Gotsis but he was amazing when he played here. I know some like TJ Barnes have bounced around and been on practice squads. Not sure where he is now. I say good for him for still having an NFL contract but I'm not sure he's having huge success at the NFL level. Emmanuel Dieke is another who was an average D-lineman at Tech and I believe he bounced around on different practice squads. Once again I don't consider that success.

I do think that there is such a small percentage of the population with the body type to play D-line, that many "average" college players can find their way into the NFL. I remember a center who played for the Hawks named Jon Koncak. He was like 7 ft tall and 280 lbs and he got a huge contract from the Hawks. It was then that I realized there are a lot of pro athletes that win genetic lottery. This guy was horrible and he signed for millions only because he had the right body type. My point is, i think for those positions in sports where the body type is rare in the general population, a lot of guys make it to the show who are there despite their lack of elite skill. Of course that's not always the case, but there are only so many Kareem's, Pat Ewings, Akeem's, and Shaquille O'Neal's in the world and the NBA has way more center positions to fill. I think D-line in football is a lot like this, even at the NFL level. I would be interested to hear what others think.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Let me preface this by saying I mean no disrespect to your comment or our student athletes, but I'm not sure our defensive lineman from the CPJ era have had a ton of success at the next level. The obvious one we all knew about was Gotsis but he was amazing when he played here. I know some like TJ Barnes have bounced around and been on practice squads. Not sure where he is now. I say good for him for still having an NFL contract but I'm not sure he's having huge success at the NFL level. Emmanuel Dieke is another who was an average D-lineman at Tech and I believe he bounced around on different practice squads. Once again I don't consider that success.

I do think that there is such a small percentage of the population with the body type to play D-line, that many "average" college players can find their way into the NFL. I remember a center who played for the Hawks named Jon Koncak. He was like 7 ft tall and 280 lbs and he got a huge contract from the Hawks. It was then that I realized there are a lot of pro athletes that win genetic lottery. This guy was horrible and he signed for millions only because he had the right body type. My point is, i think for those positions in sports where the body type is rare in the general population, a lot of guys make it to the show who are there despite their lack of elite skill. Of course that's not always the case, but there are only so many Kareem's, Pat Ewings, Akeem's, and Shaquille O'Neal's in the world and the NBA has way more center positions to fill. I think D-line in football is a lot like this, even at the NFL level. I would be interested to hear what others think.
My point was less about guys having success after college and more about not having it while at GT. We're having a hard time putting together effective DL's and it's been a problem since '09. Pelton seems to get a pass, I don't know why.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't know if Pelton deserves a pass or not. I'm not a coach and I'm not at practices to observe.

MP good or MP bad, Roof gets majority of praise or blame as Roof is the boss of the D (for the most part, yes he still answers to CPJ ultimately) Roof brought MP in with him for that spot.