Fourth and Goal - what went wrong?

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a poor play call going into the heart of a condensed defensive line that is the best in the nation and hadn’t given up a touchdown.

Bro, play the outside and get numbers out there away from the big bodies. We’ve seen #4 get there on a pitch. Why why why are you pressuring the strength of defenses instead of the weaknesses.

Poor play calling series and red zone scoring a long term issue for CDP.

This is a pass or fail scenario going forward and every fail isn’t a moral victory.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a poor play call going into the heart of a condensed defensive line that is the best in the nation and hadn’t given up a touchdown.

Bro, play the outside and get numbers out there away from the big bodies. We’ve seen #4 get there on a pitch. Why why why are you pressuring the strength of defenses instead of the weaknesses.
If the pulling guard had made the block on the LB we should have scored. The clemson defense was starting to give ground in the 4th quarter. Give our offensive line and coaches some credit for having a good game plan and follow through.g

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a questionable call. If it works everyone talks about what a great call. It didn’t so this is what you get. I would say that we effectively relied on Ryan Johnson against Skalski. From a play design standpoint, that doesn’t seem to put us in an advantageous position, but hey - players make plays, and Saturday Clemson definitely had one more player than we did who could make a play.

This week will tell a lot. 1994 we lost closely to a top 10 Arizona team that we outlplayed and just couldn’t close the deal. The let down was massive. Hoping that does not happen this weekend, but UNC and Howell, their skill players and their OL give a recipe for a potential blow out.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
If the pulling guard had made the block on the LB we should have scored. The clemson defense was starting to give ground in the 4th quarter. Give our offensive line and coaches some credit for having a good game plan and follow through.g
If’s don’t work in football. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that you don’t go at 4 5-star players with a wind-up play.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a questionable call. If it works everyone talks about what a great call. It didn’t so this is what you get. I would say that we effectively relied on Ryan Johnson against Skalski. From a play design standpoint, that doesn’t seem to put us in an advantageous position, but hey - players make plays, and Saturday Clemson definitely had one more player than we did who could make a play.

This week will tell a lot. 1994 we lost closely to a top 10 Arizona team that we outlplayed and just couldn’t close the deal. The let down was massive. Hoping that does not happen this weekend, but UNC and Howell, their skill players and their OL give a recipe for a potential blow out.
Well I guess you won’t win many games if Tom Lugenbill is your only football player on the team according to Wikipedia:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I thought so too, but watching again I’m not so sure. It was condensed in there and the TE didn’t have a full head of steam. He could have easily been stood up at the goal line.

I think if we run three times we score. Then if we don’t, worry about what to do on 4th down at that point.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought so too, but watching again I’m not so sure. It was condensed in there and the TE didn’t have a full head of steam. He could have easily been stood up at the goal line.

I think if we run three times we score. Then if we don’t, worry about what to do on 4th down at that point.
This is how I felt too.

Gibbs ran for like 5 yards to get us to the 3. I was hoping we would run the ball as well. If anything, maybe a play action on 1st down with them thinking we’re running it.

It was an uphill challenge condensed in the end zone against a top tier defense, but that’s what I was hoping for in the moment.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It was 4th and goal inside the 5. This play is the game. So Geoff chooses to put the ball in the hands of ....not Gibbs or Mason.....not Smith or Griffin...the biggest single play in Geoff's entire coaching career and he chooses to get the ball to....one of our TEs...Oh my goodness gracious....
Yep. But it shouldn’t come to that. If it was going to be 4th down it should have been on the 1. We tried to get too cute passing the ball into tight space and then end the possession on a shovel pass to a TE with a whiffed block.

OC overthinks things the way we did under Gailey. When you have Calvin you throw him the ball when the game is on the line (only we didn’t every time because it was expected). We did the same thing Saturday. It was obvious we would run, so we didn’t.

Disappointing, but we played well. The scary thing is that our staff hasn’t produced good results in pressure scenario since arrival. I hope this changes at some point.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Id honestly have liked the shovel pass call on second down that way if it wasnt there you could shovel it in the dirt

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
4th and goal- what went wrong ?
We didn't score end of story move on
To follow up, what went wrong was you got to 4th and Goal.

Sometimes guys make plays, the guy made a play. You tip your cap. The issue is the team had 4 cracks at it, and didn't use the first 3.

Honestly, though, Clemson's defense is freaking legit. They held UGA to a field goal (the same UGA that hung 40 on the above-mentioned Shane Beamer, with their 100 5star players). A great defense made a great play.

I completely get x's and o's geekery (of all people, I do), but I think in this instance, it wasn't a bad play, and really, it wasn't even AWFUL execution, it's just to beat guys like that, you need GREAT execution.

As a wise man once said, it is what it is.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Poor play calling series and red zone scoring a long term issue for CDP.

This is a pass or fail scenario going forward and every fail isn’t a moral victory.
We were getting strung out and killed trying to make it to the edge all game long. Clemson was prepared for that. Their speed negated our advantage. Lining up and trying to run it up the gut was also a fool’s errand.

An unusual play like that showed innovation and creative thinking. It didn’t work because a guy that will be playing on Sundays next year made a fantastic read and a guy that won’t missed his block. It happens.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
We were getting strung out and killed trying to make it to the edge all game long. Clemson was prepared for that. Their speed negated our advantage. Lining up and trying to run it up the gut was also a fool’s errand.

An unusual play like that showed innovation and creative thinking. It didn’t work because a guy that will be playing on Sundays next year made a fantastic read and a guy that won’t missed his block. It happens.
I agree with this. I liked the play call. I think a lot of others backers would have been moving to cover the pitch. Skalski, the 8th year senior (TIC) had enough experience and savvy to sniff it out. I do wonder if the Pulling guard had a specific assignment or if the play is designed for him to have an option who to hit. Those former OLs on the board can probably answer that. It looks to me, as a layman, that he had an option and decided a split second too late to take the inside guy.

Also, for @7979 above, my guess (hope) is that CGC didn't make that play call, that CDP did. So, I am not sure to blame the particular play call on Collins is accurate.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Also, for @7979 above, my guess (hope) is that CGC didn't make that play call, that CDP did. So, I am not sure to blame the particular play call on Collins is accurate.
We'll never know, but these guys talk on headsets. It's not uncommon for HC to step in and say, "I think {XYZ}." In this sort of situation the head coach should definitely weigh in. I wasn't crazy about the play call, but it happened, so there's nothing we can do about it now.