Former GT QB Jeff Sims

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Dude quit on his team mid season. Wouldn’t even get in a sideline qb huddle during a game. I’m not wishing evil upon him but let’s just say he’s not on my radar when it comes to memorable Georgia Tech graduates.
I’m sure you made the best, most rational decisions when you were 20 years old.

brian22

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. I don’t think anyone is saying it was right, just that he appears to have grown and has made a good decision to finish at GT. Character can be improved. Lack of forgiveness can be seen as a character issue too.
There’s a big difference between openly cheering for former Jackets and “forgiving them.” We’re not exiling him. We’re deciding who to champion. Let’s not be dramatic.

I’ll cheer for and follow the Tech alumni who did it the right way.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There’s a big difference between openly cheering for former Jackets and “forgiving them.” We’re not exiling him. We’re deciding who to champion. Let’s not be dramatic.

You do that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I read Sims threw 3 INTs in a recent scrimmage. Sounds like Arizona State practices don’t include a dance off or whatever the hell Geoff did.
TFP
3/4 speed with scout team getting reps. No on field correction - do that in film secession.
Wow look how fast the elon guys are!

Ole Miss LANE
This year Loaded with talent
IN SPRING - No heavy contact. FULL SPEED 1 VERSES 1 - working in the schemes and plays and back ups. Who can get open, turn and cover at full speed.
Like the Pros.
Some heavy before season.

KEY Gt Building toughness
with controlled practice and on spot coaching.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

What's the 'right way' tho?

I bet there's a great many of us that didn't graduate or even go to tech. And there are more that transferred in or out but made it through. Then others that dropped out and either did or didn't make it back.

I dunno. I just don't think we shld be all judgy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What's the 'right way' tho?

I bet there's a great many of us that didn't graduate or even go to tech. And there are more that transferred in or out but made it through. Then others that dropped out and either did or didn't make it back.

I dunno. I just don't think we shld be all judgy.
I am sure Sims will come thru fine. The players who are in the ring, for them life is sweeter. (Son played in college). The time, the effort, the injuries, the "team": some did better but all did way more than us stand sitters. Their time at Gt and doing sports sets them up to grab life.

To bad he was coached by TFP - could have been special.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I read Sims threw 3 INTs in a recent scrimmage. Sounds like Arizona State practices don’t include a dance off or whatever the hell Geoff did.
Oooof! Harsh truth.

What transpired here for 3+ years was a complete disservice to a whole lot of people… including Sims. We’re all picking up the pieces while TFG counts his money. Just making sure the ire remains pointed in the right direction….

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I mean yeah, Collins and Patenode didn’t do Jeff any favors, but he had the same problems at Nebraska, so it’s not all on coaching. The guy throws a ton of picks.

And more than anything he quit on his team by refusing to play in the middle of a game when he was needed. I know many will defend his decision, but if he were truly concerned with his health he never should have dressed in the first place and made himself available. That general attitude isn’t typically one that translates into a season’s worth of success - I.e. when else is he going to make a similar decision? Maybe it’s not refusing to play, but maybe giving up on a play or drive? Was just a really bad look imo.

No one is going to change my mind on this one. Maybe he regrets it, but I don’t recall him ever addressing that incident.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I mean yeah, Collins and Patenode didn’t do Jeff any favors, but he had the same problems at Nebraska, so it’s not all on coaching. The guy throws a ton of picks.

And more than anything he quit on his team by refusing to play in the middle of a game when he was needed. I know many will defend his decision, but if he were truly concerned with his health he never should have dressed in the first place and made himself available. That general attitude isn’t typically one that translates into a season’s worth of success - I.e. when else is he going to make a similar decision? Maybe it’s not refusing to play, but maybe giving up on a play or drive? Was just a really bad look imo.

No one is going to change my mind on this one. Maybe he regrets it, but I don’t recall him ever addressing that incident.
Yeah, but, after hating on him for a quite a while I’m ready to move on.

Here’s my new interpretation. And, as they say, if it’s not true, it ought to be.

I believe the people who recruited him messed his head up. They told him he was a future, can’t miss, pro star. I don’t think they gave him a lot of training, help with mechanics, decision making or other coaching, but just kept being “positive” with him. I was super ticked off when he quit on the team but several regular posters on here defended it saying he shouldn’t risk injury with such a bright future ahead. They were wrong, in my opinion, but I believe they were just echoing what Sims had been told by CGC. EVERYTHING that happened with Sims while he was here was encouraged by the head coach.

I think his head is probably messed up for QB right now. “How could I not be starting when I’ve been told I am one of the best QBs in college?!” I don’t think he has the time left that’s needed for him to come to grips with what happened to his career. It would mean starting over with everything.

Getting a Tech degree is one of the greatest accomplishments he could ever hope for. I hope he uses that to motivate himself to accomplish his other dreams, whatever they are.