Former GT QB Jeff Sims

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
A friend of mine is married to his former Sunday school teachers. She raves about what a great kid he is.
So I'll put it on his coaching - or lack thereof - in his time on The Flats.

My impression is that he's just wired to be too self-conscious in the midst of competition and therefore will be extremely inconsistent. That part of the game is definitely something that can improve, but some people regardless of how smart, nice, and hard-working you are, don't quite have the right mental makeup for the game, especially with the demands of the QB position. Hope I'm wrong and he has greater success than he's shown before.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Him finishing his tech degree while waiting for a place to land shows the kid has a good head on his shoulders even if he never puts it together on the field. Personally I think if he'd swallowed his ego about being a QB he'd probably be in the receiver rotation here if not opposite singleton. Always had the athletic gifts.
I thought with his height he could be a TE

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think that’s very optimistic. In his time split between GT and Nebraska, he’s lost just as many fumbles as rushing TDs. He led NCAA stats in turnovers (INTs and fumbles). Additionally durability was a factor - he played zero snaps against u(sic)ga.

I don’t think it’s a scheme issue nor would running the ball more (and taking more tackles), help his case.

I’m sure all the driveling platitudes from Collins didn’t help but these aren’t young children.
Yes, he did. Generate turnovers, that is. And he was reluctant to get hit. Or seemed to be. And he didn't do better at Nebraska.

What makes me say what I did is the UNC game in 2021. Sims obviously got the green light to run and delivered big time. I thought this would lead to a change in O direction, but no (I won't post Belushi again). We essentially ran the KSU spread in that game and it led to Sims giving us a big victory. If he had come in expecting to run, I think he would have been much more effective.

But we'll never know.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes, he did. Generate turnovers, that is. And he was reluctant to get hit. Or seemed to be. And he didn't do better at Nebraska.

What makes me say what I did is the UNC game in 2021. Sims obviously got the green light to run and delivered big time. I thought this would lead to a change in O direction, but no (I won't post Belushi again). We essentially ran the KSU spread in that game and it led to Sims giving us a big victory. If he had come in expecting to run, I think he would have been much more effective.

But we'll never know.
The wide gaps ol in the spread option and the air raid are similar. In the air raid the defense is spread out so reads are easier - but u have to be an accurate passer.

I saw jeff bounce pass to many balls to think he had any chance at next level.

TFP was all about moving away from the past and still he and family thinks jeff about to show he ready for nfl.

Butcguy came back got degree and is still trying - So Go Jacket to jeff. Always a Jacket!

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Bit off topic, but Jeff Simms is playing for Arizona State this year. Hope he puts it together and balls out for them!
I lost respect after he sorta quit on the team in the 2022 season, then he regained my respect when he got his Tech degree. However he was downright horrendous at Nebraska, just awful. He wasn’t great here, but he still had his moments, at Nebraska nothing really went well. I hope he turns it around at ASU.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I lost respect after he sorta quit on the team in the 2022 season, then he regained my respect when he got his Tech degree. However he was downright horrendous at Nebraska, just awful. He wasn’t great here, but he still had his moments, at Nebraska nothing really went well. I hope he turns it around at ASU.
One caveat: I didn't blame Sims for the end of the 2022 season. It was obvious that the team was in complete disarray and that he was transferring out. Why risk an injury in such a situation, especially when the rest of the team had obviously given up? I mean, I would have played, but that's just me.

And, of course, Nebraska tried to do the same things with him and had the same results. No surprise.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
One caveat: I didn't blame Sims for the end of the 2022 season. It was obvious that the team was in complete disarray and that he was transferring out. Why risk an injury in such a situation, especially when the rest of the team had obviously given up? I mean, I would have played, but that's just me.

That we can agree on. I chalk it up to something like don’t hate the player, hate the game. By effectively quitting our team, he got a small six figure NIL deal to turn the ball over a bunch at Nebraska in a few games. (And perhaps parlayed some of that money into a degree worth something from us.)

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan

And, of course, Nebraska tried to do the same things with him and had the same results. No surprise.
did that team REALLY give up though? They beat #17 UNC and then played #1 Georgia tough for a half.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The worst thing to happen to Simms was having to start immediately. He should have gone somewhere he could have sat and learned how to play the position. He was very raw coming out of highschool. He came out the same year as that qb over in Athens. That guy had a chance to sit and learn and has set himself up as a possible top 10 pick.
Off the field I have not seen or read about anyone having anything negative to say about the kid. He is a good kid from a good family. He came back to GT on his own dime to get that degree. For that he has my respect.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My impression is that he's just wired to be too self-conscious in the midst of competition and therefore will be extremely inconsistent. That part of the game is definitely something that can improve, but some people regardless of how smart, nice, and hard-working you are, don't quite have the right mental makeup for the game, especially with the demands of the QB position. Hope I'm wrong and he has greater success than he's shown before.
Funny thing about how an athlete is "wired" for competition. Watching Joe Hamilton when he played and all kinds of games afterwards on the internet gave me the distinct impression that pressure meant nothing to him. He was still playing in the backyard with his cousin Harvey Middleton in Alvin, South Carolina it just happened to be at Grant Field in front of 60,000 fans in overtime against Georgia. His good natured taunt of Quincy Carter at the coin toss was typical: "What cha gonna do Q, what cha gonna do?" To him it was all about having fun with the guys.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, sort of. I’m not really into victimology but I do think TFG’s approach affected his head.
Yes but Plural
TFG infected the entire team.
;
He did it by ;
Having the scout team get reps same reps in drills as starters, minimizing contact in practice resulting in 3/4 speed practice, nunning much faster detailed scripped practices with no on field critique, etc. Noting was ever finished.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yes but Plural
;
He did it by ;
Having the scout team get reps same reps in drills as starters, minimizing contact in practice resulting in 3/4 speed practice, nunning much faster detailed scripped practices with no on field critique, etc. Noting was ever finished.
He just got a big write up in the Raleigh/Durham newspaper. He is very proud of his chaos type defense now at UNC. I couldn't finish the article it was so bad. Same old BS.

brian22

Ramblin' Wreck
Bit off topic, but Jeff Simms is playing for Arizona State this year. Hope he puts it together and balls out for them!
Dude quit on his team mid season. Wouldn’t even get in a sideline qb huddle during a game. I’m not wishing evil upon him but let’s just say he’s not on my radar when it comes to memorable Georgia Tech graduates.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Yes but Plural
;
He did it by ;
What's amazing to me is we had former players extolling the greatness of him and his system, posters "in the know", etc all watching that happen. Eyewitness accounts from practices, pictures, etc plus crap from the weight room workouts all parroting the same BS. Surely some of them had to remember what a real practice or workout looked, sounded, felt like but all we got fed was an endless stream of meritless and baseless hype when even casual observers saw and smelled the stink from a mile away. We looked soft, played soft and played low IQ football to boot. Ugh such horrible memories of that man formerly employed by a circus. A pox on him, re-Todd and that ***** Peterson for all of eternity for what he did to our fine institute.

I'm so thankful Key, Batt and Cabrera are bringing athletic excellence back to the Flats. I know a lot of people feel the same way because follow the money, it don't lie.