Former GT QB Jeff Sims

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Bit off topic, but Jeff Simms is playing for Arizona State this year. Hope he puts it together and balls out for them!
Him finishing his tech degree while waiting for a place to land shows the kid has a good head on his shoulders even if he never puts it together on the field. Personally I think if he'd swallowed his ego about being a QB he'd probably be in the receiver rotation here if not opposite singleton. Always had the athletic gifts.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Him finishing his tech degree while waiting for a place to land shows the kid has a good head on his shoulders even if he never puts it together on the field. Personally I think if he'd swallowed his ego about being a QB he'd probably be in the receiver rotation here if not opposite singleton. Always had the athletic gifts.
IMPO, he was malserved by TFG who constantly blew sunshine up his rear. He had issues that - apparently - were never addressed. It reflects well on him that he came back to Tech to wrap things up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I never felt like he was really pushed to keep his starting position. TFG must have promised him he would start during his recruitment. We will never know for sure if he was executing the plays that were called and hitting the correct receivers. Out OC was not the greatest either. Same issues seemed to follow him to Nebraska.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I never felt like he was really pushed to keep his starting position. TFG must have promised him he would start during his recruitment. We will never know for sure if he was executing the plays that were called and hitting the correct receivers. Out OC was not the greatest either. Same issues seemed to follow him to Nebraska.
I remember going into 2021 they said he had watched film all summer and studied hard and had learned the whole playbook, and it didn't amount to any change in his game. He was basically the same player in the first game in 2020 as he was in 2022. I don't know if that's because he had poor teachers or he's just not a good learner. He's clearly physically gifted, and it's good to see he finished his Tech degree. I hope he does well at ASU.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I can say that Jeff Sims obviously has respect for the GT degree - he came back to GT to finish rather than finishing at UN or ASU. So, we know he is an intelligent young man, can learn, and is capable of making positive decisions. We also know he is tremendously gifted athletically. Where does that lead us for the issues that plagued him on the field? I'd say we ought to point the finger in the direction indicated... TFG and Co... and treat Jeff with grace.

Just my $.02 worth.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can say that Jeff Sims obviously has respect for the GT degree - he came back to GT to finish rather than finishing at UN or ASU. So, we know he is an intelligent young man, can learn, and is capable of making positive decisions. We also know he is tremendously gifted athletically. Where does that lead us for the issues that plagued him on the field? I'd say we ought to point the finger in the direction indicated... TFG and Co... and treat Jeff with grace.

Just my $.02 worth.
Amen

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad

Just my $.02 worth.
He finished his degree at Nebraska. To me, this means even more because he already had a diploma and could have just headed to ASU looking for more. He came back to Tech, loaded up a FULL semester worth of classes and got a 2nd undergraduate degree. That's respect for the GT degree.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He finished his degree at Nebraska. To me, this means even more because he already had a diploma and could have just headed to ASU looking for more. He came back to Tech, loaded up a FULL semester worth of classes and got a 2nd undergraduate degree. That's respect for the GT degree.
He thought he wanted fsu till they recruited another qb. He followed tfp whispers to gt.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow

I was not a fan of Sims while he was our quarterback (mainly because of TFG), but have great respect for him coming back and getting his Tech degree. I think his year at Nebraska humbled him quite a bit.

Sims played at Georgia Tech with 2023 Lions first-round pick Jahmyr Gibbs, and the two haven’t given up hope for a jersey swap if Sims can make it to the league.​
Sims understands that might not happen for him, which is why he made sure he secured those degrees at Nebraska and Georgia Tech​

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I was not a fan of Sims while he was our quarterback (mainly because of TFG), but have great respect for him coming back and getting his Tech degree. I think his year at Nebraska humbled him quite a bit.

Sims played at Georgia Tech with 2023 Lions first-round pick Jahmyr Gibbs, and the two haven’t given up hope for a jersey swap if Sims can make it to the league.​
Sims understands that might not happen for him, which is why he made sure he secured those degrees at Nebraska and Georgia Tech​
I don't now doubt the young man's maturity. I don't doubt his athleticism. I am not sure how we account for his shortcomings except perhaps too much too soon leading to a bit of a big head, but it's a guess.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I remember going into 2021 they said he had watched film all summer and studied hard and had learned the whole playbook, and it didn't amount to any change in his game. He was basically the same player in the first game in 2020 as he was in 2022. I don't know if that's because he had poor teachers or he's just not a good learner. He's clearly physically gifted, and it's good to see he finished his Tech degree. I hope he does well at ASU.
A friend of mine is married to his former Sunday school teachers. She raves about what a great kid he is.
So I'll put it on his coaching - or lack thereof - in his time on The Flats.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A friend of mine is married to his former Sunday school teachers. She raves about what a great kid he is.
So I'll put it on his coaching - or lack thereof - in his time on The Flats.
Great that he's finishing his degree. I think he's just playing the wrong position.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m glad to hear he finished his GT degree.

Not such to say about football. Junior Soprano said it best.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Good on him for finishing out his course work here. It is a shame he wasn't able to put it together on the field for us here, but I agree he seemed to be missing the kind of direct coaching CBK is dishing out nowadays on the flats.

Sometimes we have to look into the mirror and have the glam shaken off before we can drop a shoulder and heave into the work we need to complete. Hope he puts it together as a Sun Devil and enjoys some happiness on the field.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad Sims came back and finished. In the long run that'll be very important for him and his family.

And, yes, he was very badly used by TFG. I think this was largely a PR thing. Collins didn't want to have a program that included a running QB. I'm betting he thought that would underuse Sims - he's got an arm on him - and would be too much like what we did under Paul. But that badly misuses Sims's talent, imho. If Tech had run Patenaude's usual O or, better, the kind of option spread that KSU - and Tech today - runs, I think Sims would have been very effective. What he needed - and couldn't get - was a second moire time. If he had been running more, he'd have had it.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
And, yes, he was very badly used by TFG. I think this was largely a PR thing. Collins didn't want to have a program that included a running QB. I'm betting he thought that would underuse Sims - he's got an arm on him - and would be too much like what we did under Paul. But that badly misuses Sims's talent, imho. If Tech had run Patenaude's usual O or, better, the kind of option spread that KSU - and Tech today - runs, I think Sims would have been very effective. What he needed - and couldn't get - was a second moire time. If he had been running more, he'd have had it.

I think that’s very optimistic. In his time split between GT and Nebraska, he’s lost just as many fumbles as rushing TDs. He led NCAA stats in turnovers (INTs and fumbles). Additionally durability was a factor - he played zero snaps against u(sic)ga.

I don’t think it’s a scheme issue nor would running the ball more (and taking more tackles), help his case.

I’m sure all the driveling platitudes from Collins didn’t help but these aren’t young children.