Former Georgia Tech Coaches and Landing Spots

SJBryan

Georgia Tech Fan
Hoping that A. McCollum lands on his feet with a job soon. I met him on the recruiting trail - super down to earth guy. Picked me out of a crowd and said - Anyone wearing a GT hat, I have to come over and shake his hand. Met him at a Lamar Co. Game recruiting the Austin twins.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Hoping that A. McCollum lands on his feet with a job soon. I met him on the recruiting trail - super down to earth guy. Picked me out of a crowd and said - Anyone wearing a GT hat, I have to come over and shake his hand. Met him at a Lamar Co. Game recruiting the Austin twins.

I would be surprised if Coach Mac hasn't had inquiries, if not offers. He has roots here, though. May not want to pack up for another job at 59 y/o. If nothing else, surely KSU would have a spot for him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I say in touch and will pass along yours and others kind words.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think any of us disliked they guys, and all of us wish them the best. But there were several games last year where it didn’t look like we had been watching film or prepared to play. On top of that, a lot of these guys lacked the recruiting network or energy/charisma to pull in good players. I’m not hating on them, I’m just agreeing with some of the other poster’s sentiment: where they are now is a reflection of how other parts of the country perceive their ability and track record at GT.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Preston has coached at Stanford, Notre Dame, Washington St, etc.. He’s made plenty of money, etc... He has a kid with autism. Why uproot your family to go chase a few extra dollars at age 60 when you can retire and enjoy your life?

For the people hating on Lamar, he’s lucky he got a college job in the #MeToo (unfairly in my opinion) era. I thought he’d be heading to the NFL.

Sewak sucked in recent years. But he was a fairly successful head coach at a good FCS school (at the time).

If you’re Shiel Wood, why would you want to move your family again after 10 months?

When/if one you gets laid off, would you not look in Atlanta first for opportunities so you didn’t have to uproot your life? Especially if you had a SO with a successful career (she’s a doctor)?

I hate to say it, but it’s not as if Coach Collins poached lots of P5 schools for his assistants (besides Key). It is what it is. That’s not a dig at Collins.
I am curious as to how you know that Sewak "sucked in recent years." At what and how? And your expertise is ... what?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think any of us disliked they guys, and all of us wish them the best. But there were several games last year where it didn’t look like we had been watching film or prepared to play. On top of that, a lot of these guys lacked the recruiting network or energy/charisma to pull in good players. I’m not hating on them, I’m just agreeing with some of the other poster’s sentiment: where they are now is a reflection of how other parts of the country perceive their ability and track record at GT.

Given the late start they had on looking for jobs and the fact that they’re all (on the offensive side) mostly experienced in coaching the 3-O and the number of potential easy landing spots for these guys are very small. Sewak and Preston were already up in age and considering retirement, but I fully expect Craig and Lamar to have successful coaching careers. They’re both young, smart, and driven...they can easily learn new schemes.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
I am curious as to how you know that Sewak "sucked in recent years." At what and how? And your expertise is ... what?

I'll bite.

Did you watch our offensive line the last couple of years? Our run blocking wasn't great and we made every D-line look like Clemson's when we pass blocked. And this is while splitting the O-line coaching among two coaches. How many other teams use two of their limited number of assistant coaches on the O-line?

As for my expertise, I've never played a down of football, which, IMO, makes it all the worse that I can pick up on how attrocious that unit in particular has been.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll bite.

Did you watch our offensive line the last couple of years? Our run blocking wasn't great and we made every D-line look like Clemson's when we pass blocked. And this is while splitting the O-line coaching among two coaches. How many other teams use two of their limited number of assistant coaches on the O-line?

As for my expertise, I've never played a down of football, which, IMO, makes it all the worse that I can pick up on how attrocious that unit in particular has been.
Coach Sewak was a great offensive line coach.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I'll bite.

Not here to defend Sewak but will point out that since neither of us played football at that level means we don’t actually have a clue about specific assistant coaches and whether they knew what they were doing or not. I for one do know through discussions with my brother who was a football coach that there are a lot of things that go into a successful play that most fans can’t recognize.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Not here to defend Sewak but will point out that since neither of us played football at that level means we don’t actually have a clue about specific assistant coaches and whether they knew what they were doing or not. I for one do know through discussions with my brother who was a football coach that there are a lot of things that go into a successful play that most fans can’t recognize.

I didn't come here to attack Sewak either, but I'm blown away that people are defending him. If a soccer teams full backs continually let offenders cut inside for shots on goal, that's systematic and therefore a coaching problem. If a baskbetball team has trouble inbounding the ball that's systematic and therefore a coaching problem. If lineman can't pass blocked for more than three seconds and it's consistent over four years (!!) and multiple players, that's systematic and therefore a coaching problem. You don't have to have played any of these sports to notice certain traits and trends.

doug

Georgia Tech Fan
I didn't come here to attack Sewak either, but I'm blown away that people are defending him. If a soccer teams full backs continually let offenders cut inside for shots on goal, that's systematic and therefore a coaching problem. If a baskbetball team has trouble inbounding the ball that's systematic and therefore a coaching problem. If lineman can't pass blocked for more than three seconds and it's consistent over four years (!!) and multiple players, that's systematic and therefore a coaching problem. You don't have to have played any of these sports to notice certain traits and trends.
Just stop. It's obvious you have know idea what you're talking about. Even conventional offenses don't expect their OL to pass block consistently for more than three seconds. Here's a link if you don't believe me.

Most of the criticism I've seen from Tech fans about our OL usually fall into the category of "Fan who doesn't know that the unblocked DL was purposefully being unblocked because he's the guy we're optioning off of."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Let's let coach sewak retire. He and Coach did some great things . The point about our system being confusing to the fans is very valid. When u visit w the players you find out all kinds of technical issues that can happen which makes our blocks look bad. The biggest is getting the qb calls and passing them to ol or shifting them w a new defender. I will really miss talking to the players about that stuff and hearing them complaining about how many line calls were made on a particular play.
Coach Sewak was not a rah rah here are some cookies type ol coach. He is an old school ol coach working for old school head coach.

Once he got behind on Attrition and the line got out of balance, he had to make some really tough decisions from a half filled cookie jar

Regardless of his people skills in last half of 14 his change in ol line up to massive ol was a truly great coaching decisions. So few saw it. They just saw the runners.
Thanks coach sewak.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The nature of our old offense (linemen in wide splits, in a 3 point stance to fire out low and hard) made it a tough ask for the guys to reliably pass block on downs when the defense was expecting a pass. On the flip side, it made it MUCH easier for them to run block in those same scenarios, which is why we were able to convert so many 3rd and longs by running for a first down. I fully expect our returning OL to look a whole lot better at pass blocking when they're in the standard 2 point stance ready to "catch" rushers.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
So you didn’t hear Fuentes’ press conference after we crushed them? He was asked why more teams didn’t run our offense. His answer was wtte “you can’t pass block in that offense because the linemen are leaning forward at the snap”. You could kind of say our overall poor pass blocking was by design.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Smdh

I fear that some of us GT folk live like we spent every night at the Holiday Inn Express.

Pro Tip 1: When you begin with "I don't know what I'm talking about," don't end with, "but even I know what I'm talking about."

Pro Tip 2: When you see deviations in regular outcomes (like offensive efficiency), look for explanations in new variables (like not play calling and position coaches).

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
So you didn’t hear Fuentes’ press conference after we crushed them? He was asked why more teams didn’t run our offense. His answer was wtte “you can’t pass block in that offense because the linemen are leaning forward at the snap”. You could kind of say our overall poor pass blocking was by design.
I've never understood the instinct for reporters to ask coaches of our rivals why nobody else ran our offense...what the hell do they expect them to say? Yeah, they're really gonna pump sunshine about us when they're the competition.
That said, yeah I've been making the same point about our OL and how they'll look like MUCH better pass blockers when they're not lining up every play like we're about to run the triple. We have some athletic OL who should be able to use their quickness and athleticism to help overcome their lack of experience blocking from a 2 point stance.