Former Georgia Tech Coaches and Landing Spots

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Smdh

I fear that some of us GT folk live like we spent every night at the Holiday Inn Express.

Pro Tip 1: When you begin with "I don't know what I'm talking about," don't end with, "but even I know what I'm talking about."

Pro Tip 2: When you see deviations in regular outcomes (like offensive efficiency), look for explanations in new variables (like not play calling and position coaches).

I'll say my peace and then bow out so this thread can serve it's intended purpose of listing where former coaches landed.

For tip 1, I don't feel as though I don't need to be an OL genius to see certain traits and over many years find the commonality to be coaching. Further, there are OL geniuses out there and to be the best of my knowledge, none tried to hire Sewak. Many consider the OL to be CPJ's specialty and he felt the need to hire two people to do a job that is typically done by one.

For tip 2, I'm really not sure sure what you're trying to communicate, I'll just say that I didn't see deviations in expected outcomes from 2015-2018 even though new variable (players) rotated through. I believe the things that stayed the same (CPJ, Ron West, and Sewak) are the reasons the performance was (IMO) consistently sub-par.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'll say my peace and then bow out so this thread can serve it's intended purpose of listing where former coaches landed.

For tip 1, I don't feel as though I don't need to be an OL genius to see certain traits and over many years find the commonality to be coaching. Further, there are OL geniuses out there and to be the best of my knowledge, none tried to hire Sewak. Many consider the OL to be CPJ's specialty and he felt the need to hire two people to do a job that is typically done by one.

For tip 2, I'm really not sure sure what you're trying to communicate, I'll just say that I didn't see deviations in expected outcomes from 2015-2018 even though new variable (players) rotated through. I believe the things that stayed the same (CPJ, Ron West, and Sewak) are the reasons the performance was (IMO) consistently sub-par.

I appreciate this post. It makes my point about your understanding.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'll bite.

Did you watch our offensive line the last couple of years? Our run blocking wasn't great and we made every D-line look like Clemson's when we pass blocked. And this is while splitting the O-line coaching among two coaches. How many other teams use two of their limited number of assistant coaches on the O-line?

As for my expertise, I've never played a down of football, which, IMO, makes it all the worse that I can pick up on how attrocious that unit in particular has been.
My intent was not to be snarky, but to say there are so many OL functions that it is hard enough for O linemen to get them, much less fans. Theer's no question the offense is a run offense, and so even Shaq Mason had to get Senior Bowl instructions on a neutral (run or pass) stance from professional coaches. (I think he is somewhere in the pros now.) And yes, they lean forward and it helps account for the explosiveness with which they attack the run game and which scout teams can't emulate for opponents. I don't think a coach forgets how to coach, and I have to confess I could not tell you whether Sewawk knows or ever knew how to coach. He has been successful as has GT, so the safe bet is yes. And while I hate to pile on the departed, if you want to get at the bottom of our poor running and passing the last couple of years, look to a QB situation that eliminated most of our option game -- he could not make the right read and had trouble making the pitch, and so the predicated offense was simply gone. All the O line coaching in the world could not solve that problem. And we could have pass blocked like the Patriots to little avail because your QB has to be able to throw it on time and on target.

You maybe right. Maybe Sewawk sucks. I would just like to see more evidence for it and less opinion of it. (As though at this point it makes a difference.)

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Hey did Mike Pelton end up with Coach Roof??
I may be wrong, but I don't think that Pelton coached anywhere, college level wise, during 2018. The only coach I wished we had retained was Andy McCollum. All of the former coaching staff members were good men and I wish them well.