Forced Fumbles vs Interceptions

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is a huge disparity between the numbers. What does it say about our defense, if anything?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I never expect us to recover a fumble in the opponents backfield. Those are a function of disruptive plays and physical play. On one of UNC's last TD's (if not the last one) he was juggling the ball at the exchange. If he had been hit behind, or even at, the LOS I am fairly certain he would have dropped the ball. instead he went the 6-7 yards (iirc) untouched into the endzone. Interceptions can be made by either great individual plays by a DB or by QB mistakes. I don't expect us to cause or recover many fumbles going forward. So to answer your question, I think it says we have better DB's than front seven.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I never expect us to recover a fumble in the opponents backfield. Those are a function of disruptive plays and physical play. On one of UNC's last TD's (if not the last one) he was juggling the ball at the exchange. If he had been hit behind, or even at, the LOS I am fairly certain he would have dropped the ball. instead he went the 6-7 yards (iirc) untouched into the endzone. Interceptions can be made by either great individual plays by a DB or by QB mistakes. I don't expect us to cause or recover many fumbles going forward. So to answer your question, I think it says we have better DB's than front seven.

I think you make some valid points but your last sentence conclusion is a stretch. There are a lot more considerations involved in determining which group is better.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
I think you make some valid points but your last sentence conclusion is a stretch. There are a lot more considerations involved in determining which group is better.

The other error with the last sentence is that we do not have a front 7. We have a front 6. Thus, our issues in stopping the run....

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The other error with the last sentence is that we do not have a front 7. We have a front 6. Thus, our issues in stopping the run....

true, utilizing a front 6 makes us vulnerable against the run but at least we can stop the opponents passing ga..oh wait, nevermind.:eek:

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
true, utilizing a front 6 makes us vulnerable against the run but at least we can stop the opponents passing ga..oh wait, nevermind.:eek:

What I don't get is why, when you have 5 DBs on the field, are you not getting in the face of some of the WRs and playing 2 safeties over the top?? So what if you get beat off the line, that's what the safeties are for. Frustrating indeed.....

Lynn Griffin? I thought he was supposed to be a very good cover guy? DJ White? I thought he was our best man-to-man guy? (Not that I agree with that totally). Find our best corner, put him man-up on the boundary and zone the rest......

I DON'T CARE! DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!