For what it's worth

alagold

Helluva Engineer
on another board discussing GT/VT there was a website that tracked injuries on teams--every D1 team
I did a cursory look and we were in top 5 in country with length of injury list (for week or and yr)

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Any idea who else was in the top 5? I would like to see how our record compares to the other teams around us with the same injury level.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It would be interesting (to me) to know where our opponents rank in the same category. Outside of Notre Dame and to a lesser extent Virginia Tech, I can't think of another opponent more besieged by injuries.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
http://chicagosports.sportsdirectin...es.aspx?page=/data/ncaaf/injury/injuries.html

Some of the teams with a higher total # (Random Sampling). Record is in parenthesis:

16 - Tennessee (6-4)
15 - FSU (8-2)
15 - Minnesota (4-6)
14 - Syracuse (3-7)
14 - Rutgers (3-7)
14 - South Carolina (3-7)
12 - Florida (9-1)
12 - Illinois (5-5)
11 - Miami (6-4)
11 - Notre Dame (9-1)
10 - Boston College (3-7)
10 - Maryland (2-8)
9 - GT (3-7)
9 - Kentucky (4-6)
9 - Virginia (3-7)
9 - Utah (8-2)
9 - Arizona (6-5)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
http://chicagosports.sportsdirectin...es.aspx?page=/data/ncaaf/injury/injuries.html

Some of the teams with a higher total # (Random Sampling). Record is in parenthesis:

16 - Tennessee (6-4)
15 - FSU (8-2)
15 - Minnesota (4-6)
14 - Syracuse (3-7)
14 - Rutgers (3-7)
14 - South Carolina (3-7)
12 - Florida (9-1)
12 - Illinois (5-5)
11 - Miami (6-4)
11 - Notre Dame (9-1)
10 - Boston College (3-7)
10 - Maryland (2-8)
9 - GT (3-7)
9 - Kentucky (4-6)
9 - Virginia (3-7)
9 - Utah (8-2)
9 - Arizona (6-5)

Not the info list I saw.Rutgers was one of top ones I remember.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure what the numbers on the left mean. Players lost for the season? If so, it doesn't quite tell the whole story. How many starter games have been lost? Were the losses spread out over classes and position groups? Did they happen early in the season or later in the season? Whatever, we are 3-7.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, me either. By my count we have more then any 9 injuries this year. My guess = they aren't counting folks like Snoddy or Quaide who have been effectively lost for the season, but are "ready to play".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
All schools don't have equal depth quality to absorb massive injuries. A blanket numbers comparison across college football is meaningless. This is where the factories have the edge that gets them to that next level, the level that competes regularly for championships.

Our offense is unique in that it lets "lesser" athletes have success against better ones, but it requires absolute precision. Massive attrition kills that idea dead.

SkyBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
A better measure would be player games lost. I saw somewhere a few weeks ago that thru 8 games we had 116 lost player games, number 2 in the nation. For perspective, last year thru 14 games we had 47. Kind of explains our year!
SkyBuzz

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
So Florida, Florida State, and Notre Dame were able to overcome lots of injuries.....go figure.

Perhaps someone should compare Strength of Schedules and Recruiting Classes over the past FIVE YEARS and then we can discuss how teams might react to the numbers of injuries they've suffered in a season (and the positions) and how they've "overcome" them.

I suggest that teams like Florida, FSU, and Notre Dame probably have much deeper rosters than us, and that OUR Strength of Schedule has been one of the top in the Country so far. I also suggest that in SPITE of our injuries (and the fact we've had to play so many inexperienced and physically under-developed players), while we've lost so many games, we've had a chance to win EVERY game except against the #1 Ranked Team in the Country. So while some people want to go look for all the negatives, I choose to say our guys are busting their asses trying to win against all odds, and that these young guys are getting invaluable experience for the coming year(s).