For those sitting in the summer heat.

Animal02

Banned
Thanks for the confirmation.
The south island is much more scenic than the north. Auckland is just a big city. Queenstown is sort of like Vail....big ski scene in the winter. Christchurch....still a mess from the earthquake in 2010. Talked with a local... apparently insurance claims and guvmint red tape is slowing reconstruction.

Animal02

Banned
This is Christchurch Cathedral. It has sat like this for almost a decade. Apparently they just recently decided to restore it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190719_103227435-2048x1536.jpg
    IMG_20190719_103227435-2048x1536.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 17

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
lucky duck. trying to go next year but them adding travel Visas in October is gonna make it slightly harder. Choosing between Machu Pichu (which also is limited now) and there

Animal02

Banned
lucky duck. trying to go next year but them adding travel Visas in October is gonna make it slightly harder. Choosing between Machu Pichu (which also is limited now) and there
I did Machu Picchu in 2003, before the limits. Stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge outside the gates. Watched the sun rise from the Temple of the Sun. It was an incredible experience.
We needed visas for Oz....but we got them online....not aware of what is changing

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Go do Machu Picchu now... At some point in the near future they are going to close the site to pedestrians -- you will only be able to see it from a distance... I was there 2 years ago, and they said that the weight of the tourists is causing the ground to settle and some of the walls are are in danger of falling over...
I don't think they will close New Zealand anytime soon. :)

I wasn't aware that they were limiting access to Machu Pichu now. I went 7 or 8 years ago, but I was with a tour group, so we didn't actually stay in that area. It is definitely impressive. Lake Titicaca and the Peruvian Amazon are terrific too.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I did Machu Picchu in 2003, before the limits. Stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge outside the gates. Watched the sun rise from the Temple of the Sun. It was an incredible experience.
We needed visas for Oz....but we got them online....not aware of what is changing
just adding more restrictions to Visas starting in October. Saw an article about it, might have been last year though if you already did it!

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Go do Machu Picchu now... At some point in the near future they are going to close the site to pedestrians -- you will only be able to see it from a distance... I was there 2 years ago, and they said that the weight of the tourists is causing the ground to settle and some of the walls are are in danger of falling over...
I don't think they will close New Zealand anytime soon. :)
yeah were planning on getting the visas January 2nd! Potentially the first depending on hangover